Clean light bar on ROPS?

/ Clean light bar on ROPS? #21  
Here's what I did on my B7800 [NOTE: updated with more current picture]:

524161-todays-seat-time-ws_start.jpg

U-bolt and angle bracket. This was done long before LED lights became available. Having the lights mounted on the inside of the ROPS lessens the chance of whacking them with tree limbs (one of the reasons why I went with cheaper lights).

Attachments

• 10197810116_bf4a4118b8_k.jpg
    10197810116_bf4a4118b8_k.jpg
    766.2 KB · Views: 891
Last edited:
   / Clean light bar on ROPS? #22  
I didn't catch what your tractor is but the new 80 series BX has pre drilled holes in the ROPS and I mounted 2 forward and 2 rear facing lights with a remote on/off switch.

2017-12-11 22.01.28.jpg2017-12-11 19.12.55.jpg

/ Clean light bar on ROPS? #23  
This is how i did my light.0409161849-00.jpg

/ Clean light bar on ROPS?
My new one is an MX5800. My old B3200 would catch a limb and the limb would ride up the rops and I would push it up and over the top. It would snag on the angle iron I was using with U Bolts

I had aluminum angle iron. I saved everything. I might weld some aluminum brackets and see if I can make it so there are less "catch points" for when branches run up the rops.

/ Clean light bar on ROPS? #25  
Just installed 5 LED pods. Really happy with the outcome. 5th pod is magnetically mounted right over the PTO. You can see it on the one photo. CF4480DE-4286-4B2F-A834-5E11A42A0388.jpg

IMG_2937.JPG

IMG_2945.JPG

IMG_2950.JPG

/ Clean light bar on ROPS? #26  
I'm personally avoiding any modification to the ROPS. By drilling into it, I'm 99.9% sure that Kubota is not liable for any injuries if the ROPS fails because it has now been modified.

Will a small hole make a difference in strength? I don't think so. Is Kubota legally off the hook? Yes.

No, drilling a small hole does not automatically absolve Kubota for failure

/ Clean light bar on ROPS?

Sure it does. You modified their design which was tested and certified to meet ANSI standards. (That's what a lawyer would say right off the bat)

/ Clean light bar on ROPS? #28  
You are right... not automatically, but you are opening the door potentially for a much harder legal battle depending on the failure. Drilling holes in the ROPS can cause corrosion and cracking not just weakening of the structure and is not necessary since there are other options. Clamps (U bolts/brackets), magnets, structural adhesives (my preference), are all better options in my opinion.

/ Clean light bar on ROPS? #30  
Messicks can't assume the liability for selling a tractor with a modified safety device...that is good they are cautious that way. But for home use, a small hole? I don't think that bothers anything. Heck my brand new BX 80 series came with holes already in the rops from the factory.

How many legal "battles" are there going on out there over a hole being drilled into a rope for a light bar?

I think Messecks point is that you will have to purchase a new rope if you trade your tractor in and they probably have had customers ticked off over it. So they put the warning out there.

I can think of far worse mistakes...