Covering 3 pt implements ?

/ Covering 3 pt implements ? #41  
I just leave my box blade, cultivator and landscape rake setting on the ground and uncovered. The bush hog, I put up on concrete blocks so it can ventilate and not be exposed to moist dirt. I tie up the PTO so water wont get into the shaft but that is about all. The only thing I wish I had inside storage for is my 20 foot car hauler trailer. I put waterproofing on the boards but I fear they will rot out eventually and the tires will be sun damaged. I would like to have a sun shaded barn to keep it in but all my mechanical stuff is under my roofed shop areas (2 tractors, truck, wifes SUV, my boat, 3 lawnmowers, pressure washer, chainsaws and my work bench) and I really cant justify building a $10K shed to put a $3k trailer in. My attached garage keeps my wifes new SUV, my Kubota and golf cart so they are out of the weather and handy. I try to keep all mechanical/electrical stuff under enclosed spaces but I don't worry much about the implements being outside. I will be dead long before rust gets to them. I do a bit of paint touchup on the bush hog when needed but the other implements are aging nicely with the old paint. I do have them under a big tree for some sun protection.

/ Covering 3 pt implements ? #42  
Gary, the cheapest way I've thought of to keep sun damage from trailer tires (just bought an 18' trailer this summer) is some 6 mil black visquene and a handful of strong magnets - piece of visquene big enough to cover the entire wheel well, about 6 magnets spaced around the fender.

Think "old cars, fender skirts"... Steve

My trailer has stake pockets welded on, 5 on each side - thinking about making a couple of inserts for them and using a couple of the HF weld-on jacks WITHOUT wheels in the two pockets just behind the wheels, then jacking the whole trailer just off the tires for long periods of non-use. I'd also use the jacks at the REAR pair of pockets when loading/unloading, since mine is a "car hauler" type with slide-out ramps (no "built-in feet")

Clarification - the jacks would be welded to the INSERTS, therefore movable to whatever stake pockets needed.

Just a thought - steal/modify at will :=)

/ Covering 3 pt implements ? #43  
Holy cow!!!! Very nice. You will not regret having that once it is done.

Thanks....it's getting there! The good/bad thing is that wifey just said "could we make it bigger, and add a studio for me?". Hey, it's only money, right? :laughing:

/ Covering 3 pt implements ? #44  
That's really nice!

Do you have more pics?

View attachment 348690The only real way to keep them from not only the element but from the sun is to use a shed. The draw back to the shed is then you have to maintain the the shed and incur the cost of building it. I personally built my shed so that I didn't have to look at them all laying around. I built it so that it was easy to get loader and 3 point implements in and out by having access to one entire side with sliding doors. I still have yet to build the heavy duty "shelves" to organize all the implements, so for now the ones that are already rusty stay outside until I get it organized.

/ Covering 3 pt implements ? #45  
Thanks....it's getting there! The good/bad thing is that wifey just said "could we make it bigger, and add a studio for me?". Hey, it's only money, right? :laughing:

If you use it for a "shop" Wifey isn't gonna like having a studio in the same building. Odors and debris tracked from shop.

/ Covering 3 pt implements ? #46  
If you use it for a "shop" Wifey isn't gonna like having a studio in the same building. Odors and debris tracked from shop.

Oh, it's definitely going to be a shop. The power comany had to move our service lines, so they needed a bunch of right-of-ways signed....I helped get them signed in exchange for them running three-phase power to the barn. Full-size milling machine, lathe, surface grinder, drill press, several welders, blasting cabinet, large compressor, etc., all will be in there eventually. If she gets serious, I'd probably extend the building another 24ft, and put up a partition wall with a large overhead door, like the other side, to separate it. I think she'll probably just take over most of the basement, which is huge, and has mostly my stuff in it now....much cheaper!

/ Covering 3 pt implements ? #47  
<snip>>.I helped get them signed in exchange for them running three-phase power to the barn. <snip>

Now you've got all of us jealous!!

They wanted about $30,000 to run 3 phase to me.

Bdavis - I'm sitting in Northeast Mississippi, and from north Vermont.

Down here get the equipment off the ground, spray it with Fluid Film (FF), tarp and tie down and your good to go. It's the freeze-thaw cycles that really rust equipment.

Many threads about FF here. Look for one of them and there's a good link to an ebay seller (farmandcity?) that sells a case of the aerosol cheap. I bought a case a month ago and spray everything metal.

/ Covering 3 pt implements ? #48  
barn2.jpg

barn5.jpg

barnpic.jpg

I needed both equipment storage and hay storage, so I built a minimalist barn.

Pressure treated 4x6-16' poles set below frost (4' minimum) on concrete pads, backfilled with screened gravel to shed water. Dirt floor. I did splurge a little on the second floor (hay storage) with 1-1/8 inch T&G subfloor over engineered joists. Nothing I hate worse than bouncy floors.

The main building is 20x32, the ell is 10x24. I had right at $8000 invested in materials including the metal roof.

It's been there since 2001 and hasn't moved a bit. It's situated with the back walls facing West and North and that keeps most of the snow out of it, and gives the critters someplace to get out of the wind in the winter and the sun in the summer.

/ Covering 3 pt implements ? #49  
I needed both equipment storage and hay storage, so I built a minimalist barn.

Pressure treated 4x6-16' poles set below frost (4' minimum) on concrete pads, backfilled with screened gravel to shed water. Dirt floor. I did splurge a little on the second floor (hay storage) with 1-1/8 inch T&G subfloor over engineered joists. Nothing I hate worse than bouncy floors.

The main building is 20x32, the ell is 10x24. I had right at $8000 invested in materials including the metal roof.

It's been there since 2001 and hasn't moved a bit. It's situated with the back walls facing West and North and that keeps most of the snow out of it, and gives the critters someplace to get out of the wind in the winter and the sun in the summer.

That is VERY cool. Reflects your personality rather than a cookie cutter type. Are the loft floor joists those glued, particle board type?? Can't think what they call them?? Friend of mine is gonna use those to put a loft in his 16ft tall pole building. Very cool design. Has a definite country feel.

/ Covering 3 pt implements ? #50  
barn8.jpg

Thanks!

Yes the floor joists have 2x3 flanges and OSB (oriented strand board) webs. VERY strong and allowed me to span the 20' depth with no center posts. I can't even begin to wedge enough hay in that loft to stress the floor.