Craig's List

/ Craig's List #11  
Yup, ya snooze ya loose.

I’ve been beaten to lots of good deals on Craigslist... that’s just how it goes sometimes.

People getting upset over missing out on a deal need a therapist, not the item you’re selling.
The only ones that bother me are sellers who say "the soonest you can come is X" then sell it to someone else before then, or the sellers who will sell something out from under you while you are driving there.

Aaron Z

/ Craig's List #12  
I won't give out my phone number or email. Some people get it and some get mad about it.

I have a mower for sale right now. Last night I edited the ad and said please don't send me a phone number and ask me to call. Too many scammers harvesting phone numbers.

First response this morning was "my phone number is xxxxxxxxx, please call".

I had a guy last year that went back and forth a half dozen times insisting I call him. I finally blocked him from messaging me.

This morning I picked up a deal on a brand new finish mower deck. The guy got it on a warranty claim and welded his old deck instead of swapping it out. He just wanted it out of the way. He had his phone listed but I emailed him and said I don't give out my phone but I will buy it. He messaged me the address and I went and bought it. $25!!!! AND he threw in a brand new set of wheels.

/ Craig's List #13  
Been my experience that CL is mostly tire kickers and low ballers. I use Tractor House to buy and sell equipment now.

/ Craig's List
Long before the internet an CL, we've had a weekly buy/sell/swap magazine called "Uncle Henry's." I once listed a 16 gauge side by side which quickly sold. For months afterwards I had the same guy call to ask if I still had it, when I said it was sold he always said "You had a good price on it." I've always assumed that he would get into his cups, then start reading and making phone calls.
there is a tv reality show where the guys hunt uncle henerys for deals....

back east dickering ?..

/ Craig's List
Knock on wood I've had great luck on CL. Selling mowing services and and buy/sell some equipment. But we live in a strange world of entitled people who insist they NEED your stuff or you are obligated to sell to them only. My wife recently bought a purse on Ebay from a lady who was being stalked and harassed by another lady who wanted the same purse for less $$. My wife was sold the bag fair and square. The harasser filed a complaint and had the seller flagged. As it turns out, my wife is acquaintances with the harasser (found out after the fact) and now the lady is harassing my wife and sending cryptic messages. All over a Disney bag! Disney!
a woman scorned

/ Craig's List #16  
I won't give out my phone number or email. Some people get it and some get mad about it.

I have a mower for sale right now. Last night I edited the ad and said please don't send me a phone number and ask me to call. Too many scammers harvesting phone numbers.

First response this morning was "my phone number is xxxxxxxxx, please call".

I had a guy last year that went back and forth a half dozen times insisting I call him. I finally blocked him from messaging me.

This morning I picked up a deal on a brand new finish mower deck. The guy got it on a warranty claim and welded his old deck instead of swapping it out. He just wanted it out of the way. He had his phone listed but I emailed him and said I don't give out my phone but I will buy it. He messaged me the address and I went and bought it. $25!!!! AND he threw in a brand new set of wheels.
If you use Google, you can setup a Google Voice phone number that you can give people and it will ring to your regular number (or just go straight to voicemail and email you a transcript).

Aaron Z

/ Craig's List #17  
Listed 2 bunk beds a few years ago on marketplace, at the beginning of my night shift. By 7 am they were both sold and picked up. Had 56 messages and at least 3 people I had to block, lol.

/ Craig's List #19  
You should have let him know there were other potential buyers and its first pay first serve. That way he is only going to be bad at himself if he is slow and someone else snags it.

/ Craig's List #20  
I have bought and sold a LOT of things on FB Marketplace and Craig's list.

A while back I had a generator for sale on Marketplace and got a call from a guy about noon. After I answered some questions about it he said: "I get off work at 4:30 and I can come then". I said OK, call me when you get off and if I still have it I'll give you my address.

Less than 5 minutes later I get another call from somebody else. He said "I want the generator. I have cash in hand and can be there in about an hour. I am in XXXXX (about 50 miles away). Would you hold it for me till I can get there?" I said if you can assure me you'll be here in less than 1 1/2 hours I will hold it for you. If you're not here by 2:00 it's first come, first served. He said OK, I'm headed your way.

Well, as soon as I got off the phone with the second guy, the first guy calls back and says "I need your address. I got off work early so I could come buy your generator". I apologized to him and told him I promised the other guy I wouldn't sell it till he could drive from XXXXX. Well, he came unglued and begged me to sell it to him first as he was nearby. I said I'm sorry but I gave my word to hold it till 2:00. If he hasn't shown up by then I'll call you back. I said "If you had told me you were taking off work and was on your way I would have made the same promise to you. I am a man of my word".

I really felt bad for the man but I can understand the other guy driving for an hour and find out I sold it out from under him. End of story: The #2 guy got here at 1:35 and bought the generator. I called guy #1 back and said I'm sorry, the generator is sold. By then he was calmed down. He said "That's ok, I'm on my way to buy a new one."

All's well that ends well I guess.