Culvert Question

/ Culvert Question #41  
I don't care how much stone/crush run/fabric you pour on that roadway, it's still a trench. You need drainage. That is going to require more width to crown it or material hauled in.

Now you see what I mean?? I'm talking "Missouri" conditions. You aren't in Missouri. So unless you can find a member on here that lives down the road from you, our advice is worthless.

Again, if you don't trust the guy, you hired the wrong person. :)

Yes, more width. You have some mirror magnet trees there. Also any tight curve or bend for sure needs more than 12' of width for trucks.

I didn't catch how long this road will be, but you will either have to move the trees back to make room for drainage grading and mowing along the sides or be prepared to do a lot of hand work trimming back the brush which will all grow towards the light--your road. :) Eventually the tree crowns will over shade the lane and slow the new growth.

It can be cheaper to buy a UTV with a nice cab than to build a long lane suitable for a Prius. :D Stone adds up and you are only at round one. It will need more for maintenance now and then.

/ Culvert Question #42  
Sorry to the OP for the hijack here. But this is amusing and educational to me.

Here, pea gravel is natural stone sieved to a maximum size in inch measurements, usually 1" and down.

Here, limestone is always called gravel and is what's most commonly used to gravel roads, parking lots, etc.

Here, size is almost always in inch measurements. Then there are some additions to the name to described other materials involved. For example I have my township roads "graveled" with 1-1/4" gravel (crushed limestone). It is maximum 1-1/4" size down to course lime which is pea size.

The State uses 3/4" modified. It is 3/4" maximum, 1/2" minimum. Everything below screened out. It's also used in the making of concrete.

The quarries normally stock 2" (2" and down), 3" (3" and down) and sometimes 4" (4" and down) for base material. Next thing up from that is rip-rap, which is dynamited and loaded out of the hole before it goes to the crusher. The buyer can be selective about maximum size but generally takes what they get. Usually 2' diameter and down. It's normally used to fill large holes or very soft mud crossings. I use it around the ends of road culverts to control erosion. State uses it around bridges for the same purpose.

Very interesting how different regions name it differently. In your references, I see no correlation between the names and the size of the material. :)

The only difference down here is what you are calling rip rap, we call "blast rock"
I think us Missouri boys have a much more descriptive terminology for ordering gravel and rock products.. 57's and 411's don't describe anything to me.. 0 to 3/4 tells even an idiot like me what I need to know... pieces of limestone from 0 inches (dust) up to 3/4 of an inch.. for example.

/ Culvert Question #43  
The only difference down here is what you are calling rip rap, we call "blast rock"
I think us Missouri boys have a much more descriptive terminology for ordering gravel and rock products.. 57's and 411's don't describe anything to me.. 0 to 3/4 tells even an idiot like me what I need to know... pieces of limestone from 0 inches (dust) up to 3/4 of an inch.. for example.

Yeah, I've also heard it called "shot rock". Yep, I need relevant terms such as standard measurements rather than a series of numbers that have no relevance at all that I can see. :)

/ Culvert Question #44  
I am surprised you guys dont have the numbers like I mentioned. (57, #8, #304, etc). I thought that was kinda standard quarry terms everywhere. Now weather that stuff is called something different to the locals??? If you called a quarry in Missouri and asked for a load of 304's or a load of 57's, I would like to think they would know what that is.

/ Culvert Question #45  
Here in Florida we use limerock road base. It ranges from fist sized to lime dust, all a very soft rock. It compacts very nicely into one cohesive mass. We only use gravel/#57 stone for laying pipe in wet conditions.

Back to Sandy soils of the OP: sand is not a bad thing; for roads, with pure sugar sand sub soil; we add 4" of the rock and mix 12" deep. This gives a nice subgrade to place the base on. For driveways we always spec'd 6" of limerock right over compacted soil. I would much much prefer working on Sandy soils then gumbo clay or muck.

/ Culvert Question #47  
I am surprised you guys dont have the numbers like I mentioned. (57, #8, #304, etc). I thought that was kinda standard quarry terms everywhere. Now weather that stuff is called something different to the locals??? If you called a quarry in Missouri and asked for a load of 304's or a load of 57's, I would like to think they would know what that is.
Most of the stone terminology comes from state DOT specifications. Most states like to have their own names. It is fun working on state borders

/ Culvert Question #48  

Each state writes its own spec book so numbers and terminology vary but often the just cut and paste something from the federal Highways guide book or ASTM. Here Shot rock is all the rock from a blast not sorted out in any way and stone fill is sorted to be more or less uniform in size. For example "stone fill class A" consists of 50% of the stones being 12 cubic feet and 30 % being between 3 and 12 cubic feet in size.
Rip rap is even more sorted with "rip rap A" 75 percent of the stones will have a volume of 2 cubic feet and it gets laid in a tight nit one foot thick layer.
So here at least they are not just different names for the same thing but different things entirely.

/ Culvert Question #49  

I know the scalehouse lady at our quarry. I'll call her later today and inquire.

/ Culvert Question #50  
I know the scalehouse lady at our quarry. I'll call her later today and inquire.

I am curious to what she will say too. I have seen so many references on here by members calling rock products so many different names. It is laughable when people roll off these product names like we in different regions would know what that means.