CUT vs CTL

/ CUT vs CTL #21  
If I were in the market for a CTL, I would research the market very carefully test driving them all. Apparently there are HUGE differences in the ride and operator comfort between brands.

It would be a shame to spend that kind of money and end up with a machine you hate to operate. I test drove some skid steers with Deutze or Perkins engines that gave me a splitting headache in ten minutes that lasted for the rest of the day!

/ CUT vs CTL #22  
They're not lighter Duty than other CTL's. Just at the undercarriage, roller system, tracks, will be torn up faster if you are on rocks, stumps, etc. They are built well, and reliable. They are standard quick attach like any other skid steer. Mine runs​ the same 3.3 liter 4 cylinder Caterpillar engine found in most cat skid steers. Same engine is also labeled as Perkins, but they are made by Mitsubishi. To my knowledge that is the same throughout the whole model line.

Parts should be no harder to find than any other brand, assuming you have a dealer nearby. Alternatively, you can order your parts straight from Trac loader parts. Net. There you can search through the full diagrams and get exact part numbers.

I don't know anything about the model you mentioned, other than I believe it is an older model.

/ CUT vs CTL
Thank you. You must have gotten my post before it disappeared. I'm down in Iowa now, and just fighting with this on a tablet.

I remember why I wasn't looking at the ASV. there aren't many for sale near me.

I was hoping that in a year or two I could sell the backhoe and get something better, but I really have a lot of dirt moving to do now and the backhoe isn't working. It digs great, but gets stuck instantly if I try to pick up a load with the loader.

Maybe if I find anew ASV for closers to 10k I could get one sooner. Maybe before I sell the backhoe.

/ CUT vs CTL #24  
I'm sure any CTL what do better than what you are using now. Did you watch that video above that I had posted, showing some of the advantages of the undercarriage system compared to some other track machines? There's actually a handful of videos on YouTube showing the ASV & Terex units going through some crazy wet areas.

/ CUT vs CTL #25  
IMG_2859.JPG

If money was no object, two words - "tracked" "teleskid". Although not a bogey style undercarriage, you get the reach of a telehandler with the low ground pressure of a tracked machine. They're awesome (I'm a bit biased)

/ CUT vs CTL
I did watch the video. Very nice. Seeing that the roughest stuff I'll do is load my sandy gravel, the ASV suspension shouldn't be a problem. A tracked teleskid sounds like fun, but a tracked skid I think is going to work better for me, not to mention I wouldn't be able to afford one anyway.

I appreciate the help, and unless my needs change before I can get something, I believe that some form of tracked skid would work best for me. I'm not sure what I'll end up getting. I guess it will depend on what is available in my price range when I'm ready to buy. That ASV MD 2800 for sale now looks nice, but I don't know if I could come up with that much money right now.

/ CUT vs CTL
I should rephrase. The worst thing I would be dealing with is mud. I think the ultra low ground pressure of the ASV would be a good fit for me.

Biggest problem would be finding one in my price range. The rc-30 is too small, the rc-50 is almost too small and then the next larger machine I see available near me is the 80hp range, but they jump up over $30k. So unless I can jump on the 2800, I may be waitig a while.

/ CUT vs CTL
In doing more research I found that the Cat 2?7 series CTLs use the same ASV undercarriage and tracks as the 2800 and 70 series ASVs. Has anyone had any experience with them? I see they are heavier, have a much larger lift capacity, but do have a lower hydraulic flow. I don't have an ASV dealer near me, but do have a Cat dealer. The cats have higher contact pressure (because they weight more). But they also have an enclosed cab and I would assume parts would be easier to get.

I see two 277b units for sale in MN for less than $18k that are about 5 years newer than that ASV 2800. They both have almost double the hours and one needs tracks right away. But maybe that might be an option if I can't find an ASV I like.

/ CUT vs CTL #29  
The CAT models that end in "7" use the ASV system. CAT owned a chunk of ASV for a while. CAT got to use the ASV undercarriage, and ASV got the CAT joystick controls.

Last edited: