Did you build or buy your tractor shed/garage

/ Did you build or buy your tractor shed/garage #41  
The small barn that I keep my tractor in was on the property when I bought it, but I did a serious rebuild of it. I had the slab floor poured, then replaced the siding, doors, and roof myself. Here's a photo of it with the re-build underway.

shed.jpg

I also build an equipment shed that open on one side. I had the slab poured again, but built the rest myself. In this photo it's somewhat cluttered with building materials for the barn re-build.

shed-2.gif

/ Did you build or buy your tractor shed/garage #42  
"Did you build or buy your tractor shed/garage?" Built them.

/ Did you build or buy your tractor shed/garage #43  
I came close to getting a carport with plans to side it down the road. Decided to start getting rid of stuff I did not need and saved the cost while putting some cash in my pocket.

Think hard about spending money to protect junk. If you have nothing at all, a carport is cheap and gets your tractor out of the sun, snow and rain with a minimal investment.

/ Did you build or buy your tractor shed/garage #44  
I had a small old collapsed barn on my property. I cleared it down to the slab, and built new on existing slab. It's small, but I'm happy with it. I plan on building a 3 sided shed for implements this summer.

Here's a before and after pic:

day2 (2).jpg
20180912_190348.jpg

/ Did you build or buy your tractor shed/garage #45  
I had a small old collapsed barn on my property. I cleared it down to the slab, and built new on existing slab. It's small, but I'm happy with it. I plan on building a 3 sided shed for implements this summer.

Here's a before and after pic:

View attachment 638473
View attachment 638476

What was wrong with the first one? People out here would live in that! :D

Just kidding.... I like the barn. Looks like there is a big storage area up top!

/ Did you build or buy your tractor shed/garage #46  
Still doing some work inside my implement shed but you will get the idea.Big tractor and little tractor. I am also a touring musician, so the equipment trailer and equipment is in the background.

E5C76266-A055-4F4F-B406-FD6ECD8B4795.jpeg 97152A90-C8E4-4E25-B951-505FE19E09DC.jpeg013BAA00-AEFA-4B34-9733-F0D3A6AB8591.jpeg7F792414-CD60-41A1-9279-AF272DB95F50.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Did you build or buy your tractor shed/garage #47  
Both for me. My great-great grandad built (2) 36' x 46' post and beam barns in the early 1880's. After my grandad passed away, in the early 1980's, they suffered some years of neglect. When I bought the farm from my grandmother in 2000, they were past the point of economical repair. The roof's were beginning to leak and the foundations were failing. They still worked for keeping my tractors out of the weather, and I even had enough space to store a few seasons worth of firewood inside. Both barns had hay-lofts, which were great for storing and seasoning rough-cut lumber.

It was a lot more economical to build a new pole barn, than it would have been to repair those old structures. This project is still underway. I had to move the firewood outside and shed some equipment in order to fit it all into one of the old barns, as I dismantled the other one. I saved most of the old beams and lumber (mostly American chestnut) that was still in good shape. I hired a friend to put up a new 36' x 50' metal pole-barn, with (2) 10' x 25' porches, on the site of the dismantled barn. After he got the shell up, I built a 30' x 12' loft inside, using reclaimed beams and lumber from the old barn. I like the looks of those old hand-hewn beams, especially after power-washing them and applying a couple coats of polyurethane.

Currently, I am completing a 20' x 12' wood shop, and a 10' x 12' metal shop, under the loft in the new pole barn. I poured a concrete floor for those areas and for one of the 10' x 25' porches, but the rest of the floor in the new pole barn is crushed stone. I prefer that, because it is much cheaper and some of my old tractors leak a bit of oil here and there. Having that nice level concrete floor in the shop areas, and on the porch is really nice though. So far, my favorite things about the new barn is the leak-free roof, concrete floor and the LED lighting.

Last night, after I got home from work at the factory, I hauled a bunch of stuff up from the other old barn. I had to get it done then because we are getting a big thaw and rain today, here in Western NY. It sure was great conditions for hauling last night though, with frozen ground, no water, and good lights on my 4wd tractor. What I did not get then, I will have to carry by hand or wait till late spring when everything dries up.

I hope I can get everything out of that remaining 1883 barn before it collapses. The other one collapsed while I was at work, after having removed all of the siding and some of the diagonal braces. It was a lot nicer clearing out the old shingles when they were down on the ground. I ran a half-inch diameter steel cable from a beam on the remaining old barn, to a big tree out back, to keep it from collapsing onto the new pole barn. My plan is to hook onto that cable with my biggest tractor and a snatch block (to double my pull), after I get all the siding torn off. I need some of that siding to finish enclosing the wood shop in the new pole barn.

/ Did you build or buy your tractor shed/garage #48  
Had some help from friends and family for building and setting the trusses, roof metal and some odds and ends. Did what I could by myself including siding and the 9x8 overhead door. #2 Son enjoyed dragging the old shed out of the way for construction of the new one with the tractor and a few snatch blocks. The shed is a very small one by most standards, but a nice pole barn just wasn't in the cards.

Attachments

• IMG_6138A.JPG
    IMG_6138A.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 171
  • IMG_6250.JPG
    IMG_6250.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 173
  • IMG_6438A.JPG
    IMG_6438A.JPG
    1,022.2 KB · Views: 172
   / Did you build or buy your tractor shed/garage #49  
Wolc123: Sounds very similar to what I’ve been doing here in Tennessee, except, out of the 5 barns on my property, 1 is down, 2 have been restored and the other 2 are waiting on me. The other 2 are a massive “double barn” that I will hopefully take the bad half down before it takes it all down.

I would really like to see some pictures of the old and new.

Here is the double barn and the barn I tore down.

View attachment 638588View attachment 638589

/ Did you build or buy your tractor shed/garage #50  
I built a 13' x 36' loafing shed, then extended it up and out as I got the money together, ended up 26' x 36'. The corrugated metal I used on the old section 35 years ago is holding up well, the new section of roof (25 yrs. old) is so rusty that it looks like it's been there a century (poorly done Chinese galvanize).