Diesel Fuel Rationing?

/ Diesel Fuel Rationing? #111  
All I know is, the bigger the tractor, the more fuel it consumes. Just like a big car. Wife's Burb LTZ gets 19, my Focus gets 40. Kind of a no brainer when we go somewhere, we take the Focus. it has climate control and cruise just like the Burb does. Don't ride as nice but I can easily overlook the cushy ride when gas is stupid priced.

/ Diesel Fuel Rationing? #112  
Some police in MI have stopped regular patrols, as their fuel budgets are exhausted.

Flying through ORD a few weeks ago, I have NEVER in 20 years seen the grass and weeds so tall at that airport. Partially obscuring signage for taxiways. Clearly they made a choice to do the minimum of mowing this year.

Its fun. It’s all built back better. We are returning the earth to nature.
Roadside weeds are pretty tall here. Gonna have to get the shredder out and do the berms. getting hard to see what is coming down the road.

/ Diesel Fuel Rationing? #113  
One thing I've always noticed about local LE is they are always idling their cars. Need to turn them off and go sit in the local doughnut shop in the air conditioning...lol

/ Diesel Fuel Rationing? #114  
When I see a rail siding behind every mall and store, I'll believe it. Not gonna happen. trucks will still have to make the final deliveries and the rail is still inconsistent on deliveries.

case in point, one of my hunting buds owns a large propane storage facility not far from here and it has a rail siding that he rarely uses because the delivery of propane is hit and miss (rail) and the rail cost is about the same as trucking it. With trucks, he can actually schedule deliveries. With the rail, it could be 3 in the morning and the tank cars have to be empty within 48 hours of arrival of the rail starts charging detention fees. He stores gas for quite a few local operations, he owns and maintains 25 20K gallon bottles.
They never said that rail would be used for local deliveries; it’s about transcontinental transportation from the ports on the west coast to the distribution centers in Chicago and the east coast.

/ Diesel Fuel Rationing? #115  
They never said that rail would be used for local deliveries; it’s about transcontinental transportation from the ports on the west coast to the distribution centers in Chicago and the east coast.
Some good cannot be railed across the country because of the extended delivery times the railroads have. Perishable fruits and vegetables are one item. Another is expedited goods like next day or 2 or 3 day delivery (Fed-Ex) and UPS comes to mind. Never happen on the rail. Trans con passenger service via Am Track takes 4 days, imagine how freight would be.

... and from what I read, west coast ports are still all wadded up with ships loitering outside in the bay waiting to unload despite the fact you don't hear about it on the mainstream media.

Bottom line is, if you want expeditious delivery, not gonna be by rail, not in the immediate future. Until the population gets over the "I want it now' attitude, trucks will be the go to vehicles for trans con freight as well as local delivery.

/ Diesel Fuel Rationing? #116  
Some good cannot be railed across the country because of the extended delivery times the railroads have. Perishable fruits and vegetables are one item. Another is expedited goods like next day or 2 or 3 day delivery (Fed-Ex) and UPS comes to mind. Never happen on the rail. Trans con passenger service via Am Track takes 4 days, imagine how freight would be.

... and from what I read, west coast ports are still all wadded up with ships loitering outside in the bay waiting to unload despite the fact you don't hear about it on the mainstream media.

Bottom line is, if you want expeditious delivery, not gonna be by rail, not in the immediate future. Until the population gets over the "I want it now' attitude, trucks will be the go to vehicles for trans con freight as well as local delivery.
Rail did have high speed express freight. And could move things coast to coast as fast as, or faster than trucks.

But, when we built the interstates, and didn’t make the trucks pay for their share of construction and maintenance, we gave the trucks a huge competitive advantage. And as a result the rail system degraded into what we have now.

We need to gradually increase the ton-axle-mile fees on trucks, until they are actually covering the maintenance costs for the damage they cause, and express rail will rapidly recover.

/ Diesel Fuel Rationing? #117  
Rail did have high speed express freight. And could move things coast to coast as fast as, or faster than trucks.

But, when we built the interstates, and didn’t make the trucks pay for their share of construction and maintenance, we gave the trucks a huge competitive advantage. And as a result the rail system degraded into what we have now.

We need to gradually increase the ton-axle-mile fees on trucks, until they are actually covering the maintenance costs for the damage they cause, and express rail will rapidly recover.
The presentation I saw, they stated 2 days transcontinental on the expanded system that is planned. From port of entry in CA to Midwest and eastern regions. Much faster loading from ships to trains than trucks.

/ Diesel Fuel Rationing? #119  
Breaking today...

1656605351084.png