Ditching job

/ Ditching job
Inquiring minds need to know...did WE get the job???
Not yet. The land owner is inquiring about permits and contacting the Coast Guard. Lol

/ Ditching job
UPDATE:

As of today, the property owner has wisely postponed the ditching job until July, when it will be very dry here (well, usually anyways). It should be possible to move soil by truck. In fact, if it does get done in July, we should be able to rent a 33,000lb single or 54,000lb tandem dump and move the spoil efficiently, without too much compaction or ruts.

I will be under more time pressure than now because of hay work, but remain optimistic. This will give us time for permits and permission from the Coast Guard.

/ Ditching job #173  
I worked for a civil engineering company for over 35 years, I’ve never heard of getting permission from the Coast Guard. The Army Corp of Engineers I have heard of. I’m not saying people are wrong, I’ve just never heard of it. A lot of times we would have to prepare a Storm Water Pollution Prevention plan as part of our plans. At one time if you disturbed over 1 acre it was required. It was often pretty simple stuff, silt fence and some ditch checks, such as hay bales.

/ Ditching job
I worked for a civil engineering company for over 35 years, I’ve never heard of getting permission from the Coast Guard. The Army Corp of Engineers I have heard of. I’m not saying people are wrong, I’ve just never heard of it. A lot of times we would have to prepare a Storm Water Pollution Prevention plan as part of our plans. At one time if you disturbed over 1 acre it was required. It was often pretty simple stuff, silt fence and some ditch checks, such as hay bales.
The Coast Guard thing is a joke.

/ Ditching job #176  
Hi. Actually, I don't know what I am doing here, but it was interesting to read this thread. My husband works in this sphere, and this forum was opened on our PC when I came. I know almost nothing about your job, guys. I am a phlebotomist. If you wonder, there is an interesting fact about my job - 85.2% of phlebotomists are female. To help you, I saw my husband using a scraper when I went to look at his job. But the thing is that he had a bit different area to work on. Anyways, I will ask him to reply here later. Maybe he can help you. Wishing you all the best!

Last edited:
   / Ditching job #177  
Hi. Actually, I don't know what I am doing here, but it was interesting to read this thread. My husband works in this sphere, and this forum was opened on our PC when I came. I know almost nothing about your job, guys. I am a phlebotomist. If you wonder, there is an interesting fact about my job - 85.2% of phlebotomists are female.
Welcome to the Forum!!!

Coincidentally, 14.8% of women are actually men. ;)

/ Ditching job #179  
I would not doubt the corps of engineers would get involved. If water runs in it, they want to control it. I had a friend that purchase 14 acres to build a house and pond on. The ditch has water in it in the spring. A neighbor turned him into the county to get a permit for the pond. He already had permits for everything else. It was going to cost him over $16,000 to have engineering firm to run a study. Engineer told him it was not a ditch but a stream. No fish, water only part of year. He dropped his idea and sold the land for more than he paid. As long as you don't allow silt to run into the river, I don't see a problem. You are not buildings the drainage, only cleaning it out. It is not new construction, it is repair. I have repaired my dock several times over the last 45 years. No permits required on repairs, as long as no more than 50% is done. I just do half at a time.