DK10SE HST Cab, which engine

/ DK10SE HST Cab, which engine
Thank you Threepoint for the invite. I am in country part of Montgomery County (ok maybe not too country but surrounded by horse folks). And this "new" house I just moved into is a 103 year old house with a 5 car garage and 12 ft shop door. So I have room for big toys (scissor lift, and a new tractor).

And just as I mentioned no NX to look at, a 2015 NX5510 HST Cab with 500 hrs came up for sale about 50 miles from me so I will take a look tomorrow. It comes with a bale spear and brush hog (in addition to front loader), so I presume it's a machine for a small farm/homestead with some animals.

Any advice on what to look for, what questions to ask (maintenance, operations, etc.), and what is a fair price? And what weight would the tractor + loader + brush hog be, so I can find a trailer or a flatbed to bring it home. Thanks again.

Last edited:
   / DK10SE HST Cab, which engine #12  
~4550lbs for the tractor and ~1450lbs for the loader, plus fluids, weights and attachments. If you dont know the weight of the bushhog, assume 750-1000lbs for a good 6'-7' medium duty one. So... 7000-7500lbs capacity = a 10klbs trailer needed (or 9990lbs depending on your state)

As for price, dunno.. Tractorhouse shows a 2017 NX5510 Cab with 350 hrs (may be 250) with an asking price of $29k

Midniteoyl thanks for those weight number. It's a 6 ft Kioti bushhog I think. And thank you Threepoint for suggesting NX.

I bought it. One owner 513 hour (2015) NX5510 HST Cab that spent its entirety on a 35 acre horse farm shoveling poop and brush hogging (and seasonal bale moving). HST feels pretty smooth I was not able to replicate the HST jerky problem that has been reported on NX HST. All services were done back at the original selling dealer (they have a $200 flatbed pickup/delivery charge) which I might use at least for my first service. The seller is downsizing from this 35 acre near MD/PA border down to 8 acres in Ocala FL next week and had thought about taking the NX with. But they decided to have one less thing to move and sold it to me for $23K, so I have some money left to get a 10K GVWR trailer and some attachments, starting with pallet fork, grapple and 3rd function kit. And since it comes with a 6' bush hog I can hold off on a flail mower or a Lane Shark. It set outside all its life, so it can use a good wash, polishing/wax and a coat of Armor-All inside. But everything is functional and filled with Rim Guard ready to do some lifting.

Hope this NX is strong enough to do the 2500 lb lifting I am hoping to do. Or trading it in for a RX (if I get a good price and good trade in).

Need to find a way to get it home and I noticed gas falling to $3.63 (diesel for $4.39) in Westminster MD. So hopefully getting it home for no more than $200 (40 miles).

Thanks again y'all. Now time to get some NX toys.

Attachments

• NX5510.jpg
    NX5510.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 121
  • 35 acre.jpg
    35 acre.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 121
   / DK10SE HST Cab, which engine #15  
Ck90211, congratulations. Very well done, especially in this current market. (y) And it just happened to turn up yesterday, March 17, St. Paddy's Day! I'm guessing you must have some Irish somewhere in your family tree!

That model should serve your described needs well. At least if your IBC tote isn't 300 gal and filled to the lid. ;) The R4s shouldn't be too rough on you mature lawn if you mostly stay off it when wet.

Study the owner's manual carefully; it's not too bad. Also, find out what you can about the regen history, i.e., when it last called for regen, how frequently lately, and how the owner typically handled it. E.g., continuing to work for 20 minutes or so, or setting the parking brake and manually initiating regen.

Oh, and keep us posted, so we can vicariously enjoy your new ride with you!

Will do, trying to learn about all the fluids/filters and so many buttons on manuals. Already seeing debates about what are the best fluids (Synthetic vs blend, and Delvac vs. Rotella vs. Tractor Supply) for HST and CDI and hydraulics. And thinking about spending some money to download NX shop manuals so I can see what is in an NX.

A dumb question (which I probably should take to a different forum). I would like to install a factory 3rd function kit. Found a CK install video on Youtube where one of the rear wheel was removed to gain access to hydraulics. If NX is the same, and if I were to DIY this install, would I have to drain the rim guard out of the tire first, before attempting to lift and remove the wheel? I have a Genie duct lift (it's like a hand winch forklift that can hold 800 lbs), or can use a 1500 lb rated creeper type of wheel dolly to move the wheel + ballast. Or should I just forget DIY and pay the $99/hour + parts to let dealer do it?

Thanks for any inputs.

/ DK10SE HST Cab, which engine #17  
Congratulations on the NX5510. It is just barely broken in . I have a 2016 DK5010 and am happy with its capacity.

I can lift a 5gal can of fuel with a bent elbow (for a few seconds!!), but I cannot hold it with an outstretched arm - 3' out. Here is an easy way to calculate the loader lift capacity with an IBC tote on the forks. Your loader arms to the pins are 6.5' long x the 2761 lb NX capacity equals approximately 18,000 ft-lbs. The center of an IBC tote on forks is out 2' further so 18,000 divided by the 8.5' equals 2100 lbs fork capability. Supposedly that is to full height (don't try it!!) so you may get a 2500 lb tote a foot or two off the ground. The forks weigh 200 lb so maybe not.
These are rough calculations and I am NOT a civil engineer so no promises.

There are two other factors.
1. You will only be able to lift the rated capacity if your hydraulic bypass is tuned just right. It may bypass at 2500lbs and that will reduce the calculation above. I can lift about 1850 lbs on my forks rather than the calculated 2000 for that very reason. (I experimented with a load of sheetrock and kept removing a sheet until I could lift the load.)
2. When lifting heavy loads with your loader, you will need a very heavy counter balance on your 3pt hitch in order to keep your rear wheels from lifting and also to not stress your front axle. I have loaded tires plus a 1300 lb block of concrete on my 3pt. The 1850 lbs of sheetrock in my experiment left me feeling light and unstable in the rear. I recommend you go with 1600 to 1800 lbs.
Hope this helps.

Hi PEJ5 thanks for doing some calculations and got me reliving Physics classes (unfortunately most I remember is how dreadful 8 am Physics class/quizzes/tests were in Minnesota).

Now that I bought a NX instead of just thinking which one, I guess a good way to test is start off with an empty IBC tote and start filling it up, and take periodic lift/drive test to see how much it can lift with the specific fork set up and maybe even drive it around the terrain I expect to be using (and see if water sloshing around would affect anything). And if it doesn't come close to what I need it to do, I can always go back to find a used piggyback forklift, or trade up to a RX. Or just put whatever 2500 lbs on a trailer and tow.

/ DK10SE HST Cab, which engine #19  
Hi PEJ5 thanks for doing some calculations and got me reliving Physics classes (unfortunately most I remember is how dreadful 8 am Physics class/quizzes/tests were in Minnesota).

Now that I bought a NX instead of just thinking which one, I guess a good way to test is start off with an empty IBC tote and start filling it up, and take periodic lift/drive test to see how much it can lift with the specific fork set up and maybe even drive it around the terrain I expect to be using (and see if water sloshing around would affect anything). And if it doesn't come close to what I need it to do, I can always go back to find a used piggyback forklift, or trade up to a RX. Or just put whatever 2500 lbs on a trailer and tow.
I expect purchasing a second tote and only filling them both 2/3rds full may be slightly cheaper than buying an RX?!?

Ha yes another IBC tote and a little more fuel is a lot cheaper than buying an RX. I think I was using the 2500 lb line to size a step-up tractor (from a JD 1025R) that I will be happy with, and NX is that. I'd like self-leveling loader (of RX) but not for $50K; so I will have something to envy.

I added weight and dimensions and think it will be within 21ft and 8000 lbs with bucket, rim guard and 6' bush cutter. Found a towing company who will transport it 40 miles for $350 so I don't have to hunt down a 10K trailer or rigging/tie down. But having done the math and considering my Tundra can only tow up to 10,300 lbs, I best look for an 10K aluminum trailer that's under 2000 lbs. Crazy aluminum prices, even crazier aluminum trailer prices. Maybe a nice used one will come up just like this NX.