Do you know what the purple paint law is?

/ Do you know what the purple paint law is? #132  
I think the bigger problem today (although it’s purely a guess as I have no idea what folks thought long ago) is the people committing the murders now do not believe they will be caught.

They believe their biggest risk is being shot by another gang. Not caught by police.

Honestly, take a look at STL murders after Ferguson and look at Baltimore. Police were blamed. Police forces dwindled.

In STL the police have 125 open positions. They are not going to be filled. Defunded. STL murders per capita is highest in recorded history - 70 murders per 100,000 people.

That is 220 murders per year. Guess how many folks were convicted of murder in STL last year? 15. Yep 15.

MoKelly
From what I've seen all the rules, regulations, laws and punishments in the world don't mean much if they aren't enforced. ...... and enforced consistently.

Which in practicality is impossible to do 100% of the time (even with all the technology available there isn't an omniscient awareness enforcing human laws), but that shouldn't be a reason not to try to enforce the laws.

.....so getting back to the purple paint really it'd seem the intent is to have an affordable way to notify people to stay off/out of an area where they aren't wanted..... whether that's for the owner's personal preferences or for their own safety. Even if the owner isn't liable for trespassers being injured, dealing with injured/dead people isn't exactly hassle free.

Of course, when it comes to different states the laws vary ...so it always makes sense to know what the laws are for the locality your in (even the differences between counties can be notable from what I've seen --- though tresspassing laws tends to be pretty uniform within a state I'd imagine).

/ Do you know what the purple paint law is? #133  
Our property has a river running all along the border. It’s a reasonably big river and most traffic are small boats with outboards.

However, there are a few floaters in summer.

There is a very nice gravel bar on our property. We use it a lot for afternoon bbq’s and bonfires. We have signs posted.

For the most part, all is fine. Every once in a while it’s clear folks stop and eat and drink on their float trip.

One day, we drive down on the ATV’s for dinner and there is a group (maybe 10) young adults there with 5 canoes drug ashore. They are drinking and had built a rotisserie, started a fire and were cooking ribs!

So —- I say “did ya’ll see the signs”? They say “uh yea but it’s such a nice stopping point”. Well, they are honest.

Turns out they were good kids and they offered to share some ribs. We had a good talk, ate some ribs and corn, they cleaned up all their stuff and went along. We have used their homemade rotisserie several times since.

MoKelly

/ Do you know what the purple paint law is? #134  
Here is a picture of the area.

IMG_1331.JPG

The dog is my sons and a sweetie.

MoKelly

/ Do you know what the purple paint law is? #135  
Gotta ask, does your property start at the water's edge, the high water mark, the middle of the main channel, etc.?

We lived on a lake when I was a kid. Our property actually extended under the lake to the middle of the main channel (it was an oxbow lake, formerly a river). While we owned the property under the water, we did not own the water over the property. So we could legally prevent people from stepping out of the water onto our property, but they could float in 2" of water right on our beach, 6" from shore and there was nothing we could do about it (not that we'd want to). The lake was owned by the city. 4 houses including us had riparian rights to the water. The city had a public beach on one end of the lake and posted no swimming signs all around the lake except on our properties and the neighboring cemetery, which also had riparian rights. So we could go swimming from our property, swim around the entire lake anywhere we wanted. We just couldn't step out onto park property.

Almost every year, new Park Policemen would start telling us to get out of the water as it was a no swimming area, and we'd have to explain the legalities to them. Many times they wouldn't believe us. We'd ask them to call the chief of the Park Police.

/ Do you know what the purple paint law is? #136  
Technically, according to the survey at the County office, our property goes to the middle of the river (as measured when the river is right below flood stage).

We do not own any right-of-way on the river. Folks are free to pass at will. Or anchor in the river and swim. Or fish. Anything on the river.

But, the Missouri DNR did confirm we own (private property) all river bank areas. They proactively told us that tidbit while also emphasizing we CANNOT make any changes to river banks without their approval. Nothing that would divert water, create an island or “upset the natural flow of the river”.

I’d need a lot more and a lot bigger equipment to do any of that stuff!!!

The river floods maybe once every 5 years or so - but the flooding doesn’t even come close to the farmland. There is about 4 acres of forest between the farmland and the river and a 20-25 foot elevation. The other side of the river is about 15 foot elevation so it gets much of the excess water.

Hope that helps.

MoKelly

Last edited:
   / Do you know what the purple paint law is? #138  
Very nice. The stream on our property (technically a drainage ditch) is about 6' wide. :ROFLMAO:

We have a large river here in town that flows north to south, then bends and flows south to north. Hence the name South Bend, Indiana.

/ Do you know what the purple paint law is? #139  
I’d really doubt that
Murder rates today are about the highest they’ve ever been.
Perhaps a return to swifter justice, instead of the 20 years of appeals and stays would help.
Note that I said I personally do not condone public execution. I suggested that it would reduce criminal behavior.
Dude, your perception is the common perception, and is fortunately quite wrong. Read this on Wikipedia: Crime in the United States - Wikipedia
You can find numerous collaborating reports.
Two things happen that promote this delusion: The news media overhypes crime (as well as everything else), and politicians use the delusion that crime is drastically rising as a campaign tool to get elected. And it works! This delusion also helps promotes hate and mistrust amongst the general public.

/ Do you know what the purple paint law is? #140  
I found these 11 states with a purple paint law in a search but I don't know how accurate it is.

Louisiana, Kansas, Arizona, Montana, Arkansas, Idaho, Florida, Maine, North Carolina, Missouri and Illinois
Virginia has had it for several years. I've painted purple stripes on hundreds of trees at the family farm. I haven't posted my land where I live, but did put one sign up...on a trail I caught a poacher using to hunt my tree stand.