Dodge Cummins Engine Concern

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #202  
There was a tree guy in my development last week with two F750 Ford tree trucks. Both had Cummins ISX engines in them LOL

The engine in F650 and F750 is the Cummins ISB. The ISX is a class 8 truck engine.

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #204  
DEF, I thought it was diesel exhaust fluid.

I own a early 04 Cummins so who am I to argue, but I will. 2004.5 had a bigger turbo, different injectors, different pistons, 3 injection events instead of two and a few other things I can't remember, but I think the heads were the same.

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #205  

I own a early 04 Cummins so who am I to argue, but I will. 2004.5 had a bigger turbo, different injectors, different pistons, 3 injection events instead of two and a few other things I can't remember, but I think the heads were the same.

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #206  

I wish I still had my 04. Didn't have quite as much power as my 07 5.9 but it got a little better mileage.

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #207  
DEF I slipped on that one but doesn't matter means the same.

From Pickuptruck.com...

In developing the new “600,” Cummins and Dodge made numerous other improvements or changes to the engine:

• Air inlet redesigned to block hot engine air from entering, reducing the intake charge by 30 to 40 degrees.
• Intake resonator re-engineered for increased airflow
• Larger compressor on Holset turbocharger
• Engine cooling improved with new fan assembly and mounting fan shroud to engine for more efficient airflow through radiator
• Upgraded intercooler
• Upgraded exhaust valves
• Tailpipe increased to 4-inch diameter
• Improved sealing and gasket materials
• Oil-change intervals are now 15,000 miles (vs. 7,500 for competition).
• Holset turbocharger gets bigger compression side
• Switch to electronic control of wastegate
• Upgrades to exhaust manifold
• Revised intake ports in cylinder head
• New piston bowl geometry
• Different spray pattern from injectors

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #208  
That's probably correct, 03's and early 04's are known for being more likely to drop valve seats. Didn't know about some of those other changes but some I did. I know the power jumped from 305 to 325, mostly due to the bigger turbo.

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #209  
The 04.5+ engines ran a higher exhaust temp because of the third injection event, but the cylinder temps are similar. It was the method used for meeting emissions. I don't buy the claims that some of the engines got better mileage, I had a 97 12 valve (supposedly one of the best fuel mileage cummins) and it got the same or slightly worse mileage as my 97 5.9. I've tracked very tank on both trucks, and I'm happy with the mileage but the 07 beats the old one by a very slight margin.

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #210