Dog pics

/ Dog pics #3,681  
My dog doesn't wear a collar for safety reasons; I don't need it getting caught on a branch and snubbing him up. My next one will be chipped though.
Not sure if you know about center ring safety collars. Leave a little loose and if dog gets hooked the collar just rolls off. It the only kind I use.

I get mine in double stitched nylon from the Nite Light Co. They are priced fair and give a free brass nameplate to the collar. We have some that are 15 years old and, while ratty looking, still do the job and the nameplate is still easily readable.

Generic pic below off the net. I never used these plastic ones because I heard they can irritate a dog's skin or cause a rash.

iu.jpeg

/ Dog pics #3,682  
My new rescue/stray is a female. first female in this house in 25 years.

i had her fixed and just the other day noticed a little green line on her belly, about 1/4 in long.

Turns out it's common now to put a little tattoo on the females belly to let everyone know she's been fixed.

Unnecessary for the males.

/ Dog pics #3,683  
Not sure if you know about center ring safety collars. Leave a little loose and if dog gets hooked the collar just rolls off. It the only kind I use.

I get mine in double stitched nylon from the Nite Light Co. They are priced fair and give a free brass nameplate to the collar. We have some that are 15 years old and, while ratty looking, still do the job and the nameplate is still easily readable.

Generic pic below off the net. I never used these plastic ones because I heard they can irritate a dog's skin or cause a rash.

View attachment 712456
That's the style I used to buy for my last dog because its the only kind which she wouldn't slip out of while tied out. She was a veritable Houdini, and could escape almost anything including "Airline approved" crates. There was only one kind of hook which would hold her... it had two ends which hooked over each other. It had to be brass or she'd break it.
I had to kennel her once and when I picked her up I discovered they had cinched it down to the last notch, three more than it should have been an nearly strangling her. In my rare moments of wisdom I didn't say anything, as I knew that if I started I wouldn't stop. I can be pretty ignorant when I"m mad, and I was beyond that point. Instead I just loosened it and walked away.
She never breathed right again, she always had a cough when she got excited or exerted herself.

/ Dog pics #3,684  
EDIT - after considerable thought as both a husband and a dog owner, I thought of the perfect response...

Both your wife and dog at your side ;)
good answer!

/ Dog pics #3,685  
I spent 3 hours last night until dark and 2 more hours this morning searching for my neighbors dog. Her sister (in her 80s) decided to take the dog for a walk off leach while dog sitting and the dog went off trail to wallow in a pond and did not come back to the trail. The dog did not have a collar tag and apparently people saw her, checked for a tag and let her loose. Anyway, long story short, I found her and she is back with her mom. I did a little lecturing/suggesting this morning on the importance of a collar tag. In my neighbor's defense we both live on the saltwater, this dog regularly goes for a swim and apparently the little dog tag rings rust out and the tag(s) have fallen off. I suggested this tag which is what I use. No jingle, jingle. No snagging of the ring on branches, etc. They are stainless and deep engraved so the letters do not wear off. I am a big fan. I have been using them for over a decade since there was one guy making them. Now you can get them on Amazon.

I forgot to mention that when I took one of my dog's collar off to show my neighbor the dog tag, I noticed that I needed to get a new one since in October I will not have my old phone number any longer. It is a good idea to look at them now and then, make sure you update them when you move, etc. I have a new one on order. For those fostering (which I am thinking of doing) I'd just put "Foster" (or no dog name) on the tag and use it on one dog after another.

/ Dog pics #3,686  
I forgot to mention that when I took one of my dog's collar off to show my neighbor the dog tag, I noticed that I needed to get a new one since in October I will not have my old phone number any longer. It is a good idea to look at them now and then, make sure you update them when you move, etc. I have a new one on order. For those fostering (which I am thinking of doing) I'd just put "Foster" (or no dog name) on the tag and use it on one dog after another.
If you think about fostering dogs, I'd highly suggest you give the dog a name if it doesn't already have a name. A dog should always know it's name IMO on when he's given commands.

Generally any dog in our care came with a collar and name tag when the dog was found a home.

End of the day, pretty much any dog we took in we pretty much covered the price of what needed to be done. If you work with an organization, be careful of "******'s" that like to feel big and push their power in a small insignificant "non profit" dog organizations. We were a small rag tag group from our county, and it became the foster parents to pretty much set the rules on how to adpot out.

It's nice for an organization to be organized. I just remember one guy here who basically thought of himself like God to anyone who fostered for anyone under HIS organization and foster parents had to meet "HIS" guidelines. Just remember you're doing it for the dog, not for people who think you "work" for them.

Any decent foster organization should have some rules in place and paperwork that people need to fill out.

/ Dog pics #3,687  
I would definitely give the dogs a name, just not put it on the collar. You make excellent points all of which I had not thought of before.

/ Dog pics #3,688  
I would definitely give the dogs a name, just not put it on the collar. You make excellent points all of which I had not thought of before.
Keep in mind, our fostering was kind of different. When we started, we didn't even have a county animal shelter back then. Our foster "program" was basically build a program yourself and learn. If you're lucky, your county already has a fostering program. Dogs always do better in homes when trying to find them new homes IMO.

My personal opinion is that anyone who takes the time and energy to work with a dog in their own home is the best judge of who the dog should go to. Some programs do not work like that. Of course there is some common sense involved (80lb high energy dog in a small apartment? may want to think that one through as well as the single professional person who is never at home nor will have a lot of time to spend with the animal).

There is a fine line between having guidelines on where the best fit for the dog will go and having impossible standards that no one can meet.

Last edited:
   / Dog pics #3,690  
Keep in mind, our fostering was kind of different. When we started, we didn't even have a county animal shelter back then. Our foster "program" was basically build a program yourself and learn. If you're lucky, your county already has a fostering program. Dogs always do better in homes when trying to find them new homes IMO.

My personal opinion is that anyone who takes the time and energy to work with a dog in their own home is the best judge of who the dog should go to. Some programs do not work like that. Of course there is some common sense involved (80lb high energy dog in a small apartment? may want to think that one through as well as the single professional person who is never at home nor will have a lot of time to spend with the animal).

There is a fine line between having guidelines on where the best fit for the dog will go and having impossible standards that no one can meet.
My hesitation in fostering is that I would not want to give them up and I would shortly have 50 dogs :unsure: