Traction Double Ring chains - lateral traction ?

/ Double Ring chains - lateral traction ? #1  

3930dave

Tractor
Ford 3930
Am considering chains to purchase.....

Of the standard issue chains (w/o going off into the logging/specialty world), I can see how the V bars would have the best lateral traction (side hills....).

What I'm wondering - do the Double Ring chains provide any noticeable lateral traction ?

Intended use is Ford 3930 (2wd) w. Turfs.

Best Rgds/Wishes for the holidaze ! :) Dave.

/ Double Ring chains - lateral traction ? #2  
An old timer friend of mine has the ring chains on a 2wd with ags, he uses for snow plowing. seems to do the trick.

Don't know if those chains are more designed for ags so they don't just fall in the lugs.

With turfs, any chain you put on there, your not loosing any of the chain to falling in lugs, all the chain will be on the ground, so I'd think any chain would provide lateral traction. Being round, seems there would be the same amount of traction in any direction.

What do you want to do with them?

/ Double Ring chains - lateral traction ?
Thnx for the feedback JB.

At the moment, I'm clearing a short (by country standards) gravel driveway, and a small gravel yard.

Trying to cover a few bases..... I don't have pavement at the moment, but I do a favour once in a while for a neighbour who does, and I am pushing snow across a paved street.

Down the road (timewise) the tractor will likely end up on some land elsewhere. There it would be clearing sloped driveways, and doing some light skidding in the bush..... rocky, sloped terrain, with some mud.

Short term..... pretty easy requirements on the chains.... longer term, tougher sledding.

Am also considering the Duogrips (tirechains.com) now, to deal with side slopes later.

Thnx again, D.

/ Double Ring chains - lateral traction ? #4  
These are the chains I was talking about, seem to work good with ags, this guy is 96 years old and still drives his tractors almost everyday :)

Attachments

• DSC00135.jpg
    DSC00135.jpg
    1,021.6 KB · Views: 250
  • DSC00136.jpg
    DSC00136.jpg
    936 KB · Views: 349
   / Double Ring chains - lateral traction ? #5  
I have a nasty driveway, and very few places to push snow to. We added a third vehicle this year, which is making it even harder to plow around. I am acually trying to push snow across the driveway (sideways on the incline). I put on double ring chains last week for the first time. What an incredible difference they make. I am now having problems with the front wheels staying put. The driveway has ice under the snow, and the fronts keep wandering downhill on me. I'm looking to get another (smaller) set of double ring chains for the front to steer with.

The double ring chains are awesome.

/ Double Ring chains - lateral traction ? #6  
we have double ring chains on all of our farm tractors, and even the backhoe. Kuboda snow equiptment 001.jpg

/ Double Ring chains - lateral traction ? #7  
I wonder why they were originally made like that, are they better for certain applications? or easier/cheaper to make? do they provide better traction than just ladder chains?

jb

/ Double Ring chains - lateral traction ? #8  
jb, they are great in mud and snow. most farmers around here use them. good traction in deep snow spreading manure.

/ Double Ring chains - lateral traction ? #9  
The nice thing about the double ring chains is that they are self cleaning. By design they shift around as you drive and clean the mud or snow out.

Gordon