DR String Trimmer- actually Troy Bilt

/ DR String Trimmer- actually Troy Bilt #1  

Flatheadyoungin

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45 Shuttle
I have a Troy-Bilt walk behind string trimmer......you know, like a DR?

The thing does an ok job but if you brush up against ANYTHING or get into some tougher material, it breaks the line off. So, consequently, I'm constantly replacing the line. I'm using .155 line. Is there something else? Am I doing something wrong?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

/ DR String Trimmer- actually Troy Bilt #2  
When I first got the DR trimmer/mower, I found that it broke the line off too frequently. But I learned that it was mostly from trying to go into tough woody material too fast. With most grass and weeds, no real problem, but even the smallest woody type material had to be approached very slowly so just the tip of the line would chew into it. That may or may not be your problem.

/ DR String Trimmer- actually Troy Bilt #3  
It may, or may not be relevant too your issue, but for us, (commercial landscape / lawncare) we actually do better (lasts longer) with the .095 line then with the .105. The theory we have is the smaller line gives a bit more and keeps going while the heavier line just snaps off and you have to feed more.

Also, if your line is older or has sat in the sun, it becomes much less pliable and more prone to early failure.

Before I did too much, I would pick up a new set of line and try it.

All that said, I am assuming that behind the tougher material is not chain link fence? Nothing eats line for us as fast as chain link.

/ DR String Trimmer- actually Troy Bilt #4  
I didn't think about that, but I agree, Alan. I tried some .155 line on my DR, but didn't like it as well as the .130 and an even smaller line was even better for most things.

/ DR String Trimmer- actually Troy Bilt
Yep, grassy stuff no problem...

small wooded brush it does break it off.......even though i think my trimmer with 105 would go through it...

yeah, i know when i get around fencing or sharp steel edges it is gonna break off...

good point on the smaller line.....my trimmer with 105 seems much more forgiving....

i'll give that a try.......the 155 just seems to shear too easily......my line is pretty old but i was having that problem with the same roll of 155 when it was all new 7 years ago........

thanks.....it was running a bit funny so i cleaned the carb out last night, and haven't put it back on, yet....