Driveway Marker

/ Driveway Marker #31  
I don't use rebar any more because it is too hard to pull out in the spring. Even if it is only driven in 12 inches, the rough edges that make it so great in concrete make it hold just as well in soil.

Now, I drive a tapered metal dowel about 8 inches into the ground forming a starter hole, remove it, and push a fiberglass driveway marker in the hole.

/ Driveway Marker #32  
I just use the 48" fiberglass stakes and drive them with a 36" piece of 1/2 black iron pipe that has a pipe cap on one end. Works well for me.

Aaron Z

/ Driveway Marker #33  
Plower's in the North East US: Ocean State Job Lot has the 4' fiberglass rods, 6 for $6, 5' rods and thicker rods slightly more. Get 'em while you can.

/ Driveway Marker #34  
I am like the other retired guy said in a post on page 2....
No one is here but me and being retired so I decide when I do or don't need to go anywhere.. Mostly don't...

However my driveway is a problem to back into or out of even after having done it 8000 or more times.. There are 3 curves involved here..
At a garage sale I got a whole bunch of those 7/16" or so diameter yellow electric fence posts for cheap.. Some needed straitened out a little. No problem there.

They are hard to drive in on a good day here as this place is a rock pile.. Once in location I get a 96 cent 2" diameter solar light and slip over the top, and a short length of orange surveyors ribbon tied under the light..

On a cold rainy night when it is dark as the inside of a cow, it is a lot easier to back into a parking spot in the drive..

Good luck

/ Driveway Marker #35  
I am like the other retired guy said in a post on page 2....
No one is here but me and being retired so I decide when I do or don't need to go anywhere.. Mostly don't...

However my driveway is a problem to back into or out of even after having done it 8000 or more times.. There are 3 curves involved here..
At a garage sale I got a whole bunch of those 7/16" or so diameter yellow electric fence posts for cheap.. Some needed straitened out a little. No problem there.

They are hard to drive in on a good day here as this place is a rock pile.. Once in location I get a 96 cent 2" diameter solar light and slip over the top, and a short length of orange surveyors ribbon tied under the light..

On a cold rainy night when it is dark as the inside of a cow, it is a lot easier to back into a parking spot in the drive..

Good luck

How many of the 96 cent solar lights have gone bad?

/ Driveway Marker #36  
I make mine.......

Poles are chain-link fence top rail cut in half, so ~5'3" tall
Pour a bag of SackCrete into a plastic kitty litter pail,
Wipe the pole with solvent to remove any machine oil and inset the pipe in the pail
After the concrete cures wrap the pole with reflective tape
Place a cheap solar powered lawn light in the top of the pole.

Easily portable if left in the plastic bucket
These are nice and tall, won't blow over in the highest winds (we're measured an occasional 110mph burst)

/ Driveway Marker #37  
I did something similar with some leftover concrete. I filled a 5 gallon bucket about 1/3 full, let it harden, dumped it out and drilled a 5/8 hole through it in the center. Now, if one of my other stakes get knocked over after the ground has frozen, i can replace it easily.

/ Driveway Marker #38  
I have a tendency to get over aggressive with my plowing, with the end result being more gravel on my lawn to clean up in spring. I've found the markers do help me keep the gravel contained more to the driveway and less on the lawn. I will try using rebar this year.

/ Driveway Marker #39  
Our driveway curves through rocks, and along with drifting, it's difficult to manage without some marking. I used steel T-posts, but over time discovered too many ways they become weapon-like. Bent over by a errant trailer or plow blade, they get buried in the snow at an angle and look like they're going to impale something, or someone. So this year I am switching over to the commercial fiberglass markers, 5 ft. Doing the driveway in orange, ski trails in blue. Found the internet price, with shipping, was about 40% of the best local price. I need quite a few so I decided to screw our local merchants.

BTW- We've removed a lot of rock withing 5 feet of the driveway, most of what's left are not gonna move without major excavation. And then I'd have big holes to fill.