/ EA Attachments vs Homestead Implements #51  
With basic welding and fabrication skills and commercially available parts like hoses, coupler and pivot pins fabricating a home built one isn't all the difficult.

/ EA Attachments vs Homestead Implements #52  
A thumb type grapple on an FEL bucket works great for moving logs...
In fact...most of the "grapple" work depicted in pictures posted to TBN can be accomplished with a thumb type grapple at much less the cost of a clam shell type grapple...
And if you want to be cheap a pair of clamp on forks with a rope or chain will get you by. I've moved mounds of bamboo with that set up.
<snip>I've loaded 12' logs in diameters up to what the FEL would lift onto both trailers and our sawmill...
Since the FEL is probably an LA301 (for the B1700) that would be about 660 lbs.

Last edited:
   / EA Attachments vs Homestead Implements
The whole grapple comes off with a couple of pins and QD's... only the mounting bar remains on the bucket...
FWIW...I have a DIY version I fabricated with mostly what I had on hand...I have a B series tractor (1700D) and I have picked up piles of brush literally bigger than my tractor including FEL and attached box blade...
I've loaded 12' logs in diameters up to what the FEL would lift onto both trailers and our sawmill...
I've considered that route but I am clearing land so I need to move brush piles, logs and rocks. I'm also thinking that a grapple is likely going to excel, over other attachments, at building rock walls with stones too heavy to lift and place by hand.

OP,

I neither love or hate the EA stuff. I think it is better stuff but for me the higher cost is not worth it. When I bought my MTL it was about 1/2 the price IIRC. But I am a hobby user.

If you will use the grapple hard and put a lot of hours on it, the premium is likely worth it. Get the EA and be happy.

I do not use mine to take down trees (as shown in the video of the HI that got bent up). I have 40 hp and a smaller tractor so somewhat limited to how much abuse I can do.

We see warnings about not using a FEL like a bulldozer as doing so can damage the cylinders and then expect to push over 10" trees with a grapple.

BTW, I am looking at getting the EA back blade but it seems the premium for it is not bad.
I don't think I would call myself a hobby user since I am clearing acres of land of brush trees and rocks and building rock walls along the way but I don't expect to be doing a task this large ever again. Well, maybe to move logs. I kind of think I might be milling my own lumber and others for awhile as a hobby. For right now, I will be pushing it hard. Probably too hard. I am a relatively new user of heavy equipment and spoiled by having used an 18K lb excavator to do a lot of the initial work on the property.

/ EA Attachments vs Homestead Implements #55  
I've considered that route but I am clearing land so I need to move brush piles, logs and rocks. I'm also thinking that a grapple is likely going to excel, over other attachments, at building rock walls with stones too heavy to lift and place by hand.
Obviously there are some tasks where a clam shell type grapple is applicable...but like I've said on several occasions...most of the grapple work pictures posted on TBN can easily be accomplished with a thumb type grapple...
Also with smaller tractors etc. the weight afforded to the task and not the equipment can be paramount...

/ EA Attachments vs Homestead Implements #56  
I didn't read through all of the comments, but the homie 60 grapple and EA 60 grapple is nowhere close to an apples to apples comparison..

TBH for some reason it doesn't sit well with me to have a manufacturer jump into this thread and say anything about the competition -- correct any misunderstandings about their own products? Sure..but I suspect the OP is wanting to hear from people who have used these products, rather than the marketing team...

That said, Ted, you make the assertion that "There are many features on the Wicked which, despite it being lighter, make the 55 stronger by design than the one shown in the video", yet you provide nothing to back up that statement.

Could you elaborate -- what do y'all believe makes the wicked 55 stronger by design than the Homestead? Or MTL? Or comparable LandPride? Why does it matter, and does it matter to "regular" grapple purchasers? Will it be a factor for folks who, as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, wish to be careful to not damage their loader/hydraulics as a compact tractor is not a skidsteer?

I'm not saying EA's grapple _isn't_ better...but if you're going to jump in here and assert that it is, then please tell us all why...and also show that it in fact matters that it's stronger (if it is). At some point, products become equivilant in practical use - some other limitation ends up mattering more (loader capacity, etc).

TBH for some reason it doesn't sit well with me to have a manufacturer jump into this thread and say anything about the competition -- correct any misunderstandings about their own products? Sure..but I suspect the OP is wanting to hear from people who have used these products, rather than the marketing team...

That said, Ted, you make the assertion that "There are many features on the Wicked which, despite it being lighter, make the 55 stronger by design than the one shown in the video", yet you provide nothing to back up that statement.

Could you elaborate -- what do y'all believe makes the wicked 55 stronger by design than the Homestead? Or MTL? Or comparable LandPride? Why does it matter, and does it matter to "regular" grapple purchasers? Will it be a factor for folks who, as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, wish to be careful to not damage their loader/hydraulics as a compact tractor is not a skidsteer?

I'm not saying EA's grapple _isn't_ better...but if you're going to jump in here and assert that it is, then please tell us all why...and also show that it in fact matters that it's stronger (if it is). At some point, products become equivilant in practical use - some other limitation ends up mattering more (loader capacity, etc).
I was having this discussion the other day. I can get rid of an ant pile multiple ways. I could use spray or I could use dynamite. They both get the job done but do I really need something as extreme as dynamite to do the job a spray can?

/ EA Attachments vs Homestead Implements #58  
I've looked at them and was pretty impressed. Nothing I wanted was in stock though so I moved on. I'll need to check them out again.
Somebody else was talking about MTL recently and said they got one for the same price from E-Bay. I bought mine for the same reason that others listed; I could either buy from MTL and get it in a week, or send the same money to EA, wait 4 months and send them the same amount again. I don't use mine the way that some do because I need my tractor to last, so won't be using it like some might.

There were other reasons as well... DRumminj above me touched base on one. I made the mistake of following EA's link to their FB page and was not impressed when the salesman started degrading the competition; then posted a letter of complaint from a dissatisfied customer and encouraged the home boys to rip him apart. That doesn't fit with my opinion of a professional...

/ EA Attachments vs Homestead Implements #59  
"A" professional probably can't run a whole factory, front office, web presence, etc. So it's quite possible that "a" less-than-perfect individual is among the dozens of people employed by EA. I don't disagree with your opinion of the matter, but it's quite possibly a situation that can and should be resolved internally with training, policy change, discipline, what have you.. without throwing the whole company out with the bathwater, so to speak. Mistakes happen and social media IS where people go to be the shittiest meanest versions of themselves. Doesn't make it ok, but makes it unsurprising.

I don't avoid social media entirely but i try to stick to visual (pics/vids) content and avoid the comments section like the plague!!

Also, as far as the buying on ebay and having it shipped to your doorstep vs buying local for the same price, I'd just call that local place up and say 'get it to my door for the same price and the deal is yours, or sell me a better idea' and let them tell you in so many words whether they still make money on that (i.e. they agree to it) or not. Heck, if you get the impression they break even or take a loss on such a thing and still go for it, it's even better because it means that's how bad they want to get and presumably KEEP you as a customer. I'd say it's worth a shot to see if a local place wants to be 'your guy' for such things and develop a useful relationship with them, and worst case scenario they say no, and THEN you buy it on the internet anyway! Doesn't hurt to find out.

/ EA Attachments vs Homestead Implements #60  

To me, Travis with EA, who started the Wicked Grapple thread here on TBN, when we began making grapples almost 10 years go, it seems that a responsive manufacturer representative would be a pleasing note of confidence in today's market, rather than sitting back and letting disinformation spread.

Here's a response I composed a while back, concerning what makes EA the obvious choice..

20200928_200229.jpg

Since that response, we've moved onto an even Wickeder version, as I've been known to call it. EA never stops improving our products. These horizontal serrations greatly help you rake material/dirt/rubbish to smooth and clean up areas you're working in.

20220125_112004s.jpg

I can elaborate some on land pride, as well. Anyone who has studied grapples should have already discovered the many shortcomings which have never been addressed by that company. They remain the same to this day.
Travis

TIMEFOREA5.JPG

Sweattnew.JPG