Ed's 77 Terex 72-41 Wheel Loader

/ Ed's 77 Terex 72-41 Wheel Loader
I broke three 1/2” cables on the last two trips, pulling stumps. I‘m looking at increasing cable size to avoid that. I did some research. 1/2” cable breaks at 19,000 lbs, 5/8” breaks at 29,000 lbs, and 3/4“ breaks at 40,000 lbs. I’m thinking the only limiting factor is I don’t want the cable stronger that what holds what it’s attached to onto the loader. All three breaks went away from the loader, two being thrown past the stump up in the manzanita. It has me thinking about expanded metal over the back window.

The tilt cylinder I resealed in the spring was leaking bad again. My son and I went up yesterday and got it. I already got it back together with a new gland and different type seal. It had v packing, I put in a u pack (I think that’s what he called it). I eliminated the end play by putting a convex/flat v pack against the v machined into the end of the bushing. it worked perfect. Hopefully that does the trick. I’m tired of dealing with it.

/ Ed's 77 Terex 72-41 Wheel Loader #574  
It is amazing at what these machines can do. Where I've always wanted my driveway to the northland of my spec property, I simply drove my payloader through the trees, knocking them over willy-nilly. While making a straw-jacked mess, at least the trees my tractor couldn't tackle are all on the ground. I cut all the stumps off and they are in process of drying out waiting for my tractor of grapple them off. The Payloader will stump everything the next time it shows up over there along with a few neighbor trees I've got lined up along the way.

Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 4.22.42 PM.jpeg

Last edited:
It is amazing at what these machines can do. Where I've always wanted my driveway to the northland of my spec property, I simply drove my payloader through the trees, knocking them over willy-nilly. While making a straw-jacked mess, at least the trees my tractor couldn't tackle are all on the ground. I cut all the stumps off and they are in process of drying out waiting for my tractor of grapple them off. The Payloader will stump everything the next time it shows up over there along with a few neighbor trees I've got lined up along the way.

View attachment 766120

Do you have video of removing stumps? Did you have to dig that one out? Our stumps really don’t want to come out, unless I use the loader to push the tree over.

This was a 28 inch cedar.

/ Ed's 77 Terex 72-41 Wheel Loader #578  
Do you have video of removing stumps? Did you have to dig that one out? Our stumps really don’t want to come out, unless I use the loader to push the tree over.

This was a 28 inch cedar.

So far the stumps I've gone after have been smaller than what you're describing but in my short experience, I've just shoveled under the rootball's edge of the stump and started lifting. The video below was the very first time I ever used my Payloader after fixing it up enough to put it to work.

So far the stumps I've gone after have been smaller than what you're describing but in my short experience, I've just shoveled under the rootball's edge of the stump and started lifting. The video below was the very first time I ever used my Payloader after fixing it up enough to put it to work.

I watched your video, I liked it. I like what you said about making a way to tell if the bottom of the bucket is level. You were removing twigs compared to my video that you watched, no offense. You were working in a pretty soft dirt, ours has a lot of rock and is dry right now.

/ Ed's 77 Terex 72-41 Wheel Loader #580  
Curl your bucket all the way back.
Lower it to the ground and float it.
Dump the bucket forward and watch the rear edge.
It should move forward in a smooth motion until the teeth/leading edge of the bucket hit the ground. At that point, the bottom flat surface of the bucket should be flat on the ground, and the rear of the bucket will change direction of travel and start to lift.
Back it up a bit and your bucket is now level to the ground it's on.

Unless the bottom of the bucket is a perfect curve and has no flat surface on the bottom, it works.