Electric Fence?

/ Electric Fence? #21  
Well I've dealt with a few electric fences and I will disagree with some of the posters on here.
I prefer loops and tensioners.
Also I would never make all the strands hot unless I was building through water.
Come summer time dry dirt has no conductivity, even here in the humid northeast in the summer
I have seen many times when the ground was dry enough that it was not conductive, so I connect every
other strand to ground, a good ground rod and the fencer ground.

I don't think there is anything to disagree with. Your system sounds excellent. Are tensioners strictly required? No. Are looped continuous circuits required? Again, no. Are extra ground rods a good idea? Sure, they are. All these things - and more besides - will make a working system into a better system.

The original discussion was just about how to make a short basic electric fence system operate. There are always ways to make it better.

rScotty

/ Electric Fence? #22  
As far as deterring deer - A close relative had a acre or so of watermelons that the deer were eating.
He strung a single wire electric fence around then spread peanut butter on it.
He said it was real easy, a handful of PB in a glove, grab onto the uncharged wire and walk.
With the fence on the deer would come and lick it, get a jolt, never come back.

/ Electric Fence? #23  
What a GREAT IDEA!

I bet they don't much care for peanut butter anymore either.

Say, I wonder if that would work with chocolate ice cream?

Last edited:
   / Electric Fence? #24  
That wouldn't hold my cattle.
But cattle don't jump 12ft. Same reason people don't raise deer. Seen a fella try it. Had a 12 ft fence. Some, not all, would jump out and come back. Besides he ain't holding in, he's keeping out.

/ Electric Fence?
WOW, thanks for all the info.

I worked on that fence today for 13 hours. Then the awesome charger does not work. Ran to town (Tractor Supply) and bought another one. Says to leave it in the sun for 3 days before turning on, I would like to test it. My fence posts are not plum, I hit rocks on every post except three. Those 3 went nice and straight. I put the 8 ft ground rod on a 45 and it went the whole way. The half mile of 14 gauge wire on the spool was a real pleasure to work with as wello_O. I got one strand on & finally got the wife to come out and keep the spool free, went a lot better. Hate to see what that is going to cost me, LOL.

I have it so I can open both ends to till straight through. Soil is not the best , going to get some top soil to add to it.

I went ahead and did a loop it was easier. Will get new charger on it tomorrow and see what happens.

I am sure the next fence I build will be a lot easier.

If i can get out of bed in the am will take a photo..

• Good Post
Reactions: bcp
   / Electric Fence? #26  
WOW, thanks for all the info.

I worked on that fence today for 13 hours. Then the awesome charger does not work. Ran to town (Tractor Supply) and bought another one.
Thats why I mentioned to you in an earlier post to take back that Zareba if you could . Did you come back with same one or something different most big box store chargers on a long term deal are cwap .
I doubt if they still sell it but Harbor Freight sells or used to actually sell a solar charger also . Not that all HF stuff is bad but there solar charger is/was total junk .

/ Electric Fence? #27  
I used a 3 wire 4 ft tall electric fence for about 11 years around the big garden down below. Only troubles I had was with controllers going out until they made electronic ones. Had a utility battery, small solar panel and controller.

Went I brought the garden up to the house in raised beds, I fenced the back yard with the same fencing. Hooved rats would regularly jump it and get into my raspberry patch, not so much the raised beds.

Finally went to 2 rows of fencing like in the picture with nylon ropes: 2 ropes with a single outside. Worked to keep the hooved rats off the daylillies and camellia all growing season. When last winter's snows came, the rats got in and destroyed the camellias. Saw some hooved rats early this spring in the raspberry patch again. Shot one of the 3. Found my battery dead. With one shot rat and battery charged, no more have shown up. The wire fence around the rest of the back yard is like the nylon rope fence now. Some of it is still 3 wire in the one row but with the single wire outside.

Attachments

• Hooved rat fence.jpg
    Hooved rat fence.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 72
   / Electric Fence? #28  
If anyone has an E fence set up near public land or close to neighbors etc . Might want to think about putting "warning electric fence " no trespassing signs up . Could avoid a lawsuit from an A-HOLE . Wonder if they make these signs in Spanish also ?
1651677548064.png

/ Electric Fence? #29  
I used a 3 wire 4 ft tall electric fence for about 11 years around the big garden down below. Only troubles I had was with controllers going out until they made electronic ones. Had a utility battery, small solar panel and controller.

Went I brought the garden up to the house in raised beds, I fenced the back yard with the same fencing. Hooved rats would regularly jump it and get into my raspberry patch, not so much the raised beds.

Finally went to 2 rows of fencing like in the picture with nylon ropes: 2 ropes with a single outside. Worked to keep the hooved rats off the daylillies and camellia all growing season. When last winter's snows came, the rats got in and destroyed the camellias. Saw some hooved rats early this spring in the raspberry patch again. Shot one of the 3. Found my battery dead. With one shot rat and battery charged, no more have shown up. The wire fence around the rest of the back yard is like the nylon rope fence now. Some of it is still 3 wire in the one row but with the single wire outside.
That won't keep about a yearling let alone an adult deer unless you aren't protecting anything they want. 7 ft is about minimum if they want in. Does and their yearlings jump 5 ft wire here without thinking. Walk right up and just over. Good luck guys. Peanut butter in it is good idea, btw

/ Electric Fence? #30  
That won't keep about a yearling let alone an adult deer unless you aren't protecting anything they want. 7 ft is about minimum if they want in. Does and their yearlings jump 5 ft wire here without thinking. Walk right up and just over. Good luck guys. Peanut butter in it is good idea, btw
Only time they got in down below with 3 wire 4 foot tall fence for 11 years was when one of my controllers went out or a battery because discharged below 6 volt.

The only time they really get in up here with the dual fences is when I let the battery go below 6 volts. Or in the snow when it shorts everything out.