Enough Trailer for my Tractor??

/ Enough Trailer for my Tractor?? #1  

34Willys

Silver Member
Tractor
'18 Kioti CK2610HST
I have an opportunity to purchase a nearly new/one trip trailer from a friend. A 16', dual axle flatbed with stored ramps, #7000GVW. The tag states not to load more than #5400 lbs.
I have a 2018 Kioti CK2610 tractor, loader, backhoe, with loaded rear tires.
My quick calculations show I would be under max weight, but not by much.
Is this trailer worth buying, or should I look at something larger. I would only rarely be towing the tractor and mostly local runs less than 75 miles.
Thanks for your input.
Patrick
IMG_20210907_095033884 (1024x768).jpgIMG_20210907_095239460 (768x1024).jpg

/ Enough Trailer for my Tractor?? #2  
Only you can determine if it makes economical/practical sense to get a given trailer for its price (figure in how often you need to move it, if there are rentals available nearby, etc). You don't mention your truck but also consider if your truck can manage 700-1000# of tongue weight and 7k of towing capacity.

As far as enough trailer - does 5400# fit all of the parts you want to put on it? Is 16' long enough for those parts especially arranged to give the trailer about 10-15% weight on the tongue?

Given that your friend has it, can you borrow it to see if you can put your tractor in a good position on it with the implements you expect to be carrying during the tow?

/ Enough Trailer for my Tractor?? #3  
I calculated ~4923lbs w/ the 2610 loader, 2475L backhoe, and 50gal total water/windshield fluid/glycol fluid for the tires (assume R4/R14?). Or ~4975lbs w/ the 4030 loader. Easy enough to just round it up to 5000lbs and compare that to the 5300lbs capacity on the tag (not 5400lbs) and you can see that you really are squeaking right in there. Not that is a bad thing necessarily, as that would probably be the most that that tractor would weigh given that if you were just mowing, you would drop that backhoe for a lighter bushhog, and probably the front bucket too, if not the whole loader. The main problem is does it have enough room on it for the longest configuration (probably brushhog) and can you move it enough to have the load distributed correctly, as @ning noted above.

edit: kybd can't spell correctly late at night...

Last edited:
   / Enough Trailer for my Tractor?? #4  
It wouldn’t be my first pick in trailers but it’s probably enough to work if you don’t plan on hauling a bunch of other stuff in addition to the tractor.

/ Enough Trailer for my Tractor?? #5  
I guess there are questions you must answer. I see the load limit is stated at 5300 - I guess the trailer weights 1700 #. First, does it have brakes on 2 or 4 wheels. I don't know about your state, but here, over 3500 can be one axle, over 5000, has to be both axles to be legal. Second, just how close is the weight you want to haul. Does full tractor fuel, chains and binders put you over weight? It is a nice looking trailer. I like the stake pockets for tie downs and it does have corner D rings. And the bed looks clean. But if you use it overweight, it may not trail as well or stop as well as it was intended. My trailer is 14k, but it is a tilt bed which makes it heavy - 3700# - When I load it to 10K with my tractor and implements, it feels heavy and I am glad it is not overloaded. Also, consider the upgrades you may want to do to the trailer - as in adding a tool box.
Also, consider Ning's comment about the space to move weight (load) forward or back to adjust tongue weight. You may quickly wish it was 18 or 20'.
Nice looking trailer, just make sure it fits your needs. One last comment - I might want to know where it was made and does the company use certified welders. Best wishes, Larry

/ Enough Trailer for my Tractor?? #6  
A 16 foot 7K trailer is not much more than a utility trailer, consider the advice given above and do the safe thing. Now if it is a great deal and you have a use for it then go ahead but be aware of it's limited capacity. I have a 16 foot 7K trailer and use it a lot but not for my tractor and equipment.

/ Enough Trailer for my Tractor?? #7  
My take is that if you are under the manufacturer rated weight, you are good. Typically such ratings include a safety factor, meaning the trailer could actually handle more weight but then you have less margin for error in load positioning, weight estimating, road conditions, etc.

/ Enough Trailer for my Tractor?? #8  
To me it would depend on the price. Killer deal? grab it and try it out, can always resell and get your money back. Close to full price? pass, and get the proper setup.

I have the exact same frame tractor, and am very glad that my package deal came with a 20', 10k car-hauler trailer. Gives plenty of room to position the TLB for weight distribution, and carrying other attachments as needed.

/ Enough Trailer for my Tractor?? #9  
I’d start looking for a 10k trailer to be on the safe side.

/ Enough Trailer for my Tractor?? #10  
Then you go 10k 14k, then your truck has to be 2500 or 3500.......and the list goes on and on and on. Just buy what you think you need and be happy. I bought a 20' 10k tilt trailer and haul my 4600# compact tractor with my 2004 Chevy 1500 with adequate setup and it does all that I need.