Entry Gate advice appreciated.

/ Entry Gate advice appreciated. #11  
If you have about 20' of fairly level straight area on one side of your opening posts, I'd go with a cantilever style, either in round or square material. Once they are set up, they roll super easy, don't have to have a track across the road to run on, and don't require the stopping clearance that swing gates need.
You can get rollers for round or square material, so you can do a chain link style or ornamental iron. I've built scads of chain link ones, up to 56 feet long.

/ Entry Gate advice appreciated. #12  
Aesthetically it is swing gates every time. Like TnAndy says, slide gates look functional but have no personality.

My slide gate has plenty of personality and works. Most swing gates I see are disconnected.

Attachments

• P1000846.jpg
    P1000846.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 370
   / Entry Gate advice appreciated. #13  
I agree that swing gates typically have more personality but I prefer a sliding gate. It takes less space and you don't generally have to worry about something in its path. If your terrain is flat all around it doesn't matter but if you have sloping ground at the gate location, it might influence whether you go swing or slide.

/ Entry Gate advice appreciated. #14  
My slide gate has plenty of personality and works. Most swing gates I see are disconnected.
No insult intended, TxDon! :) Yours is the best looking slider I've ever seen.

But I actually meant the opening action, not the gate. While sitting at the gate watching it open, sliders look mechanical. To those of us with romance in our souls, swinging gates look magical: "Open Sesame". :laughing:

/ Entry Gate advice appreciated. #15  
Spend your money on the opener, I had HF that worked great until it lost the codes and I couldn't get them back.
Then went to a Might Mule and it kept messing up so I ended up just opening the gate manually.
Nothing like two trips in and out of your vehicle to come or go!

I'd agree. I went with Genie brand (no longer make them) linear actuator type openers, and they simply don't hold up long term for an 'every day' gate.

Next, I bought OSCO commercial type, with the pivoting arm. These (master & slave) have held up well, and the thing I like about them is not a single IC or electronic anything on it, except the radio receiver ( and I use a Genie universal receiver for that...which has been replaced 2-3 times....I keep a spare)...all electro-mechanical switches and relays that simply last on and on. Can't buy the model I have any more, but mine will outlast me I'm sure.

/ Entry Gate advice appreciated.
Thank you. My original plan was for a swinging gate. Because this is going to be a heavy gate, I was going to put a lot of effort into bracing the post to support the weight. Then I was at a house with a rather heavy, long, sliding gate that made me rethink things. I have plenty of room for either swing or slider. The driveway is fairly flat wide, shallow drainage ditches on either side. I was surprised when I measured it and found out my driveway is only ten feet wide. I'm planning on adding 2 feet to either side to bring it out to 14 feet. Maybe even 15 feet. If I go with a slider, I wont need to worry about sag, or bracing the posts to handle all the weight since the weight of the gate will be on the track.

/ Entry Gate advice appreciated. #18  
BFH! That's short for a big hole and lots of concrete. If you want to do it once and not have issues that will be vital. 14' x6' seems like you would want to have at least a yard depending on frost line and soil type.

/ Entry Gate advice appreciated. #19  
Over built is good for gates. I went with two 4 inch schedule 40 iron pipes 21 ft long. Put them in 4 ft of concrete connected across the top by a piece of angle iron until I get something better.

Posts are 14'6" apart and the gate company welded on greasable hinges and the gate motor mount. Apollo controller is great. We have a keypad for entry and exit, and extra remotes were like $10 so we gave them to everyone who visits regularly...

Our main problem has been that the battery and solar panel can't keep up in the winter...we will be trenching this spring.

/ Entry Gate advice appreciated. #20  
Properly 'staking' the gate posts is of course paramount. But seeing Eddie's work I don't think this is something to worry about. It comes down to the operation of the gate(s) and what is the desired function. Swinging can be grand and inviting... sliding can be slick and efficient.