Entry Gate advice appreciated.

/ Entry Gate advice appreciated. #21  
Eddie, one thing that has not been mentioned , reccess the gate by the maximum legal length, in a funnel shape ie (new zealand)25 metre reccess by about 18 metre at the road. This will minimise the chance of some moron hitting the posts or gate as they turn in with a long trailer.

/ Entry Gate advice appreciated.
Redman135, that's not going to be an issue. The way my entrance is laid out is kind of like a large upside down letter U. I have two entries about 100 feet apart that are 20 feet wide. They are 60 feet from the pavement, and will be wide open. Then another 100 feet you come to my second fence line. If you come in on the right side entrance, you will have a road that goes down to my pond and my wedding gazebo. If you come in on the left side, you will go 100 feet and come to where this gate is going to be located.

I'm actually building three gates. One on the right side that will be a swing gate and only tall enough to keep out vehicles. Then there will be the gate we are talking about here that will be 8 feet tall, coyote proof, and able to keep in the deer I want to raise. The third gate will be off to the side of this one and also be a swing gate that will be for walking around, or driving through if there is a problem with the powered gate not swinging or sliding like it should.

The other two gates are going to be fairly simple and locked in place by a chain with a lock. The one we are discussing is the one we will use every day, coming and going to the house and barns.

So to reply to your comment, there will be about 160 feet from the pavement to this gate.

/ Entry Gate advice appreciated. #23  
I think the biggest problem with swing gates is getting them to lock together effectively to prevent someone or something from forcing them apart enough to squeeze thru. Electronic locks seem to malfunction all the time and can cause damage to the gate or opener when they don't unlock.
I would go with a sliding gate if at all possible. I think the opener would be cheaper also especially with a heavy gate and you only need one rather than 2 for a swing gate.

/ Entry Gate advice appreciated. #24  
Eddie it sounds like you have plenty of space. My gate is the bare minimum for an 18wheeler to enter from a one lane gravel road. I have watch a lot come it. it is 36' wide funneling down to an 18' gate 60 feet from the road.

/ Entry Gate advice appreciated. #25  
14ft is about what I'd consider the max for a decent quality (heavy) swing. Mine is either a 12' or 14' (I forget), and is the super-duty model from our local farm coop. It has served very well, mostly because the hinge post is 4" steel drilled into rock, filled with grout, and anchored with a couple of 1/2" x about 12" pieces of rebar. And the hinges are super duty, pictured below. And it is precisely leveled. I drilled and tapped a hole on each of the 3 hinge collars to add a zerk. One or two squirts of decent grease a year is all it takes to keep it swinging totally smooth and easy all through its whole range with very little force. Makes for low load on the Apollo solar operator.

Our plain galvanized "farm" gate looks a little industrial, and we like it that way. It looks like a serious gate, not something haphazardly thrown up by local yahoos. IMHO, this discourages ne'er-do-wells just a little bit. I've toyed with the idea of painting it a nice dark forest green or maybe even black.

SANY1195 (1024x768).jpg

Gate wo Concrete (1024x768).jpg

Attachments

• SANY1281 (1024x768).jpg
    SANY1281 (1024x768).jpg
    551.1 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
   / Entry Gate advice appreciated. #26  
Also thinking out loud here... sliding gates don't tend to see the stress and abuse that swinging gates do. Like kids swinging, cantilever weight/sag...

/ Entry Gate advice appreciated. #27  
Hello Eddie, good to see you have anticipated me. I often ran into "today" thinking when I was working for a contractor, with no thought to future proof things.

/ Entry Gate advice appreciated. #28  
By the size of the gate you say you want, IMO, go with a sliding gate.

/ Entry Gate advice appreciated.
14 feet does sound small to me. I'm rethinking that and wondering if I go with a slider, why not just make it the full length of the steel and go 20 feet? The weight is going to be considerable, but if it's on concrete and a track, weight wont matter. If I go with a swing, then that's just too much weight. Double gates really don't appeal to me.

As mentioned, I can see where a sliding gate might be more secure. In a big storm, or strong wind, or just somebody trying to push the gate open, I think a swing gate would be easier to move then a slider when in the closed position.

I've been looking at tracks and wheels.

/ Entry Gate advice appreciated. #30  
14 feet does sound small to me. I'm rethinking that and wondering if I go with a slider, why not just make it the full length of the steel and go 20 feet? The weight is going to be considerable, but if it's on concrete and a track, weight wont matter. If I go with a swing, then that's just too much weight. Double gates really don't appeal to me.

As mentioned, I can see where a sliding gate might be more secure. In a big storm, or strong wind, or just somebody trying to push the gate open, I think a swing gate would be easier to move then a slider when in the closed position.

I've been looking at tracks and wheels.

:thumbsup: