Eradicating moles

/ Eradicating moles #41  
I believe that is pocket gophers.
The saying is 'Making a mountain out of a mole hill." not "Making a mountain out of a pocket gopher hill." :ROFLMAO:

While pocket gophers may do something similar, moles make mole hills when they can no longer push the dirt aside in their tunnels. They push it up and onto the surface to clear the tunnel.

/ Eradicating moles #42  
Here's a timelapse video of a mole forming a hill. It clearly illustrates why trapping a mole hill is almost always futile. Spike traps will be triggered before the mole comes up shallow enough, and pincher-type and choker loop-type traps require the mole to come in from the side.

Trap the active tunnels.

/ Eradicating moles #43  
You can spray all the weed killer you want, but moles eat meat. It won't change a thing.

My intent with the weed killer was not to harm the animal,,
I simply wanted them to be unhappy living where they were,, it was time for them to move away.

The groundhog ate the grass,, I would bet the 2-4D tasted horrible. :eek:
I KNOW is smells bad,, o_O

The groundhog moved in, because it was a comfortable location.
It moved out because it was no longer a comfortable location.
Sorta like how slum lords turn off the heat to an apartment of someone that does not pay the rent.

Possibly, something like cayenne pepper spray might work.
That will keep squirrels out of bird feeders.
Birds do not even know the cayenne pepper is on the food.
BUT, the squirrels will be gone!!

It would be interesting to spray cayenne pepper spray right in the mole runs,,, :LOL:

On a similar situation, we opened our pool last spring, and EVERY frog moved in,,,
There was a LOT of small tree frogs.
EVERY night there was relentless croaking,,

Well, I had heard that frogs breathe through their skin,,,,
the next night, I went out with a $2 spray bottle filled with vinegar.
I sprayed EVERY frog that I saw,,
I then sprayed the perimeter of the pool area with vinegar.

THAT ended that,, no more frog eggs,, the remainder of the summer,, PERIOD!
And the cost was a $2 spray bottle, and about $2 worth of vinegar.
The frogs must have really hated vinegar,, they moved.

There is a wet spot about 300 yards from our home,,
After our frogs were gone, we could hear frogs in that wet spot.
I do not know if ours moved there, but, our frogs were GONE!!

/ Eradicating moles #44  
My son catches moles and he charges $50 per mole and provides the dead mole to the customer as proof. He has been trained and uses the old school traps that he puts underground in the tunnel. I have also heard that heavy doses of fish emulsion will drive them away. Perhaps soaking an area that has current activity will give you some indication if that works or is an old wives tale. I think trapping is really the only way to really make a dent and poison may create collateral damage. It is really hard to get rid of them. Gophers are easy and I took over 20 out of my half acre lot one year and since then I have only had one or two. I think you need to make a really big push to eradicate the breeding stock. Good luck

/ Eradicating moles #45  
My son catches moles and he charges $50 per mole and provides the dead mole to the customer as proof. He has been trained and uses the old school traps that he puts underground in the tunnel. I have also heard that heavy doses of fish emulsion will drive them away. Perhaps soaking an area that has current activity will give you some indication if that works or is an old wives tale. I think trapping is really the only way to really make a dent and poison may create collateral damage. It is really hard to get rid of them. Gophers are easy and I took over 20 out of my half acre lot one year and since then I have only had one or two. I think you need to make a really big push to eradicate the breeding stock. Good luck
Good thing it was the whole animal. There is an example of poor incentives we teach in Economics. In Hanoi, years ago, they offered a bounty on rat tails. Clever capitalist catchers cut off the tails and left the rats alive to breed more money.

/ Eradicating moles #46  
Don't have time to read the whole thread but here is some ideas that may not have been covered.

My wife is pretty successful of chasing them off using Pine-sol. She opens open mounds and pours a cupful in each hole. They soon run off to the neighbors or back into then woods.

the best solution I have encountered is a "Varmint Getter". They use propane and oxy in a patented mixing and tunnel insert system to provide a mild explosion through the tunnel system that ruins their lungs and killing them. Due to cost such a system is not homeowner feasible. several years ago they were $1500 w/o the tanks and regulators. Most users would have that common welding items. Great tool for the large property owner plagued with ground burrowing critters. Several companies make them and I cannot place their names right now. Here is a business waiting to happen,

Ron

/ Eradicating moles #48  
Oh and yes it kills fire ants to

/ Eradicating moles #49  
In Ontario Canada at TSC (Peavy) stores you can buy packages of 'Shots" 5 per pack. Like a large fire cracker.
Cover over most of the holes and put one in the hole First, then light it and cover quickly. It produces a deadly chemical reaction and the gas may be seen coming out other holes. Works.

/ Eradicating moles #50  
I've had moles for years, tried a lot of different ways to kill them with no luck. Then I thought I was dealing with an animal so I started putting water down the hole thinking if it gets wet it is going to investigate where the water is coming from and run right into the trap. Well thus method has work for me. Only takes 24hrs and the mole is trapped.