Eradicating moles

/ Eradicating moles #81  
They are like miniature Road Flares. Toxic chemical smoke flows through the tunnels. I have seen them dig themselves up and out of molehills for beheading. TSC has them in 5 pack.

/ Eradicating moles #83  
Hmmm How much garlic do you grow and what size area are you protecting?
Well, we grow 100s of bulbs, Vietnamese red, German red, musik, kuty, etc. For an acre of land, you probably need 20 bulbs(3 lbsish). Chop into 1/4" chunks. It worked at my first house and now we always surround the perimeter of the garden with it, pre season.
Funny how people pay good money for garlic yet no animal touches it.

/ Eradicating moles #84  
Well, we grow 100s of bulbs, Vietnamese red, German red, musik, kuty, etc. For an acre of land, you probably need 20 bulbs(3 lbsish). Chop into 1/4" chunks. It worked at my first house and now we always surround the perimeter of the garden with it, pre season.
Funny how people pay good money for garlic yet no animal touches it.
Thanks for that.

/ Eradicating moles #85  
A terrier dog/mix will eradicate moles. Its what they are breed to do. Mine takes all of them out, rather quickly as he finds them and kills them. It is their nature. There are no moles with in his range.

Last edited:
   / Eradicating moles #87  
If i treat for grubs, will the pesticide also kill the earthworms? Thanks
The treatment is a form of BT used for caterpillars and worms in the garden. Should not harm the earthworms.

/ Eradicating moles #88  
I have tried traps, poison worms, etc. I am killing them, bit it’s a constant fight in my otherwise perfect back yard.

in the spring, I am going to put some of this down every 4-6 months for two years.

That's the stuff I could not remember the name of: a form of BT, organic treatment for caterpillars in the garden. That was what we in the extension office recommended first. Then they had some trap options. Have never heard of anyone using traps and getting them to work.

I'd be inclined to try some ammonia poured into a hole into a tunnel. Won't hurt the soil and might run them off.

/ Eradicating moles #89  
Thanks for that.
You may find a garlic grower in your area with some of last year's bulbs. The new garlic was harvested about two weeks ago. So late years leftovers might very cheap as the garlic starts to get green sprouts inside each clove. No one really wants them for cooking.

/ Eradicating moles #90  
The treatment is a form of BT used for caterpillars and worms in the garden. Should not harm the earthworms.
Moles primary food is earthworms.

Don’t treat for grubs if you don't have grubs. Check first. Pointless to treat for something that's not a problem to begin with.