Essential Workers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Essential Workers?
How could they...

I think it is the wide open spaces if the West with reduced snow or the tropical appeal if Florida plus tax laws...

Actually the West is quite steeped in legend and myth... all those old Westerns I imagine...

Funny thing is those I know that moved to Texas from Austria proud to call themselves Texans... honest.

It's the unbelievable freedom they have here...

Simple things like being able to shop on a weekend or open a business... you can't open a flower shop until you have completed a apprenticeship and become a master florist... same for a locksmith, mechanic, etc... all require years of training... same for cabinet maker and carpenter...

If you want to be anything more than labor or cleaner there is prescribe study to accomplish.

Motor home rentals blow them away because her they can rent a large motor home and travel...

There additional study and tests and age requirements apply...

Same to have a sailboat or outboard motor and the list goes on...

Last edited:
   / Essential Workers? #232  
Turns out that most, not all, of the Californians moving here are right leaning. Most of the exceptions are those whose companies moved here and they just came to keep the job. My old job was about a mile from Toyota's new HQ.

/ Essential Workers?
I can't say but it sounds right...

If someone was not so inclined why would they ever leave the SF Bay Area...?

More than a few divorces after such a move I personally know...

More often the husband embraces the new location and the wife maybe not so much...

A few have moved back but then decided they no longer liked it here as much as they thought.

I say this as I said goodbye tonight to a dear friend moving to Arizona.

She sold her home with movers coming Monday...

She loves her neighbors but no longer the Bay Area and decided to move closer to her many friends that already moved to AZ...

/ Essential Workers? #234  
plead it down to a misdemeanor as a ‘lesser included offense‘ and let them basically have a freebie for the first 5-6 arrests.
It might be a freebie for an unlimited amount of times. This issue is a current controversy and disagreement between the CA Governor and DA offices. The Governor claims you can "stack" misdemeanors (such as multiple shoplifting incidents) into a felony, the DA offices say that is a fabrication and complete misunderstanding of the law.

btw, CA laws lessening penalties for such crimes were voter-approved, later voter-re-confirmed.

From the linked article:

"Newsom has repeatedly said prosecutors can “stack” multiple misdemeanor thefts into a felony charge. But Pierson, the district attorney, said that "reveals a significant misunderstanding of the law in the wake of Prop. 47.”

Subsequent court decisions require that the repeated thefts involve the same victim and conduct eventually amounting to a loss exceeding $950, which Pierson said “is very difficult to prove."

“The law here in California is very clear - we cannot simply stack petty thefts into a felony,” he said."

/ Essential Workers? #235  
@plowhog I certainly defer to you on Cali statutes.

As bad as I hate it I think the DA is right on stacking misdemeanors into a felony unless the statute provides for aggregate values and it doesn’t sound like it does.

/ Essential Workers? #236  
I have always thought that multiple offenses should stack...repeat offenses, too. The DA is not wrong in this case. I hope no innocents get hurt as the lawlessness continues.

/ Essential Workers? #237  
Things take a turn for the worse in Chicago. An 11 year old car jacker?
My Lord, where’s the bottom? 1000 murders in cook county alone. The moral decay in these cities and the failure of their leadership is spectacular

Philly sets records for murders 513 on the year as of yesterday.

/ Essential Workers? #238  
It is just as bad here in Arkansas, the stats may not be as high but the drive by shootings, murders, car jackings, gang killings in Little Rock and near by Memphis is horrible. Folks are being randomly shot on the expressways. It will get worse cause you can’t legislate morality, can’t legislate Christian behavior and you can’t legislate the 10 Commandments.

When I lived in Albuquerque the police would only go to certain parts of the city only in sets of two squad cars cause it wasn’t safe. Hey, I have an idea, let’s defund the police, lol.

/ Essential Workers? #239  
I have always thought that multiple offenses should stack...repeat offenses, too. The DA is not wrong in this case. I hope no innocents get hurt as the lawlessness continues.
But the courts in CA have ruled that multiple offenses can stack only if the same victim is involved. So if you are caught shoplifting at Target, Walgreens, and CVS-- those are separate victims so those crimes cannot stack. (In CA, you would be pretty stupid to get caught that many times-- a separate story.)

Here is how bad things are:
- a huge number of shoplifting crimes are not reported due to the merchant's belief nothing will happen. Police in many cases will not even respond. No one knows just how huge this number might be.
- if an arrest is made, (very rare,) it is splashed across the headlines. Big fanfare.
- But many who are arrested are immediately released under the "no bail" policy. Back on the streets!
- The DA's office is almost always "too busy" and doesn't want to spend time prosecuting low level crimes. Their offices are entangled in court imposed bureaucracy and mandates. Besides, careers are advanced putting away heinous murderers, not common shoplifters.
- Regardless of the charges, many or most crimes never go to court. All charges are typically dropped if the perp agrees to plead guilty to only a single reduced charge.
- There is almost never jail time for low level offenses. Even if a judge sentences a perp to jail, they only serve a fraction of their sentence before they are released onto the streets.

These circumstances existed before Prop 47 was passed by the CA voters. Things got a lot worse after Prop 47 passed.

The perps know this game and exploit it. Law enforcement officers face these circumstances which compounds their frustration. The average citizen has little-to-no awareness of these circumstances.

/ Essential Workers? #240  
It is just as bad here in Arkansas, the stats may not be as high but the drive by shootings, murders, car jackings, gang killings in Little Rock and near by Memphis is horrible. Folks are being randomly shot on the expressways. It will get worse cause you can’t legislate morality, can’t legislate Christian behavior and you can’t legislate the 10 Commandments.

When I lived in Albuquerque the police would only go to certain parts of the city only in sets of two squad cars cause it wasn’t safe. Hey, I have an idea, let’s defund the police, lol.

I hear ya friend. Waiting for the cancer to spread to my very safe community. Seeing more ”iffy” things happening around here.
The times are a-changing and mostly not for the better.
When 11 year olds are car-jacking and cities are boarding up stores for riots and smash & grab crime, it’s time for BIG change.
Its all about education and parenting.
We need to go back to schools with more strict discipline and reward marriage and good parenting more.
I bet that would solve 75% of this mess we are now in.

Status
Not open for further replies.