Essential Workers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Essential Workers? #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
Seems all county offices and most city remain closed for in person due to Covid

Mom did not receive property tax bill for the parcel she has had her garden on for over 50 years.

Tried to reach Tax Collector and each time after being on hold for as long as 17 minutes recording said call back later and disconnect.

Nothing can be done in person and cash no longer can be used to pay taxes and fees

Official Online has all owner info deleted so no idea if title issue or check for fraud/mistake

I work in a hospital and continued working as did police, fire, grocery stores, utility workers etc...

It looks like city and county will be the last to open if ever... but fees still due and registrations...

To continue... called County Supervisor and he was able to generate a return call and ecstatic to learn NO property tax due!

A resolution passed to exempt undeveloped property with extremely low value which had been a pet peeve of mine.

Christmas definitely came early.

Mom's garden is assessed at $1267 with straight property tax due of about $17.40...

Here is the kicker... while property tax is $17.40 the added 27 special assessments added $1,109 to the tax bill making the total $1,127.

Yes the annual property tax due was nearly equally to the property value...

Midnight Basketball... library, school, sports stadiums, bus lines, hiking trails, city landscape, mosquito control, rapid transit, etc...

Sometimes out of the blue miracles happen...

The news made me almost forget the frustration of a week trying to reach some one...

Last edited:
   / Essential Workers? #2  
WOW ! Hard to believe the tax you guys pay.

I don't complain when I get the property tax notice at my river property.
It's assessed around 42K and the tax is $24.00 per yr

My home about 50acres @ 500K+ is around $1300 per yr

Everything in my area is open for business. In fact, They never closed down

Last edited:
   / Essential Workers?
Kind of amazing just how things vary depending on where you are...

/ Essential Workers? #4  
Covid seems to be a two year "Covid holiday" for some government workers who aren't required to do their jobs in any sort of timely fashion while they still collect full pay and benefits.

/ Essential Workers? #7  
Your ignorance is appalling
I'm sure the poster you were replying to was just being sarcastic, but sometimes it does seem to be as he described. City/state/federal workers often give the impression that they just don't care about the people whose job it is to serve and who pay their salaries.
I just shake my head at some of the stories Ultrarunner tells, if all is as he reports it sounds more like something you'd experience in a third world country than the U.S.

/ Essential Workers?
I believe city and county services will be the last to open...

Everything else not government is open and many never closed like grocery, hospitals, hardware, banks, etc.

A sizable group still pays taxes at the counter with a stamped receipt...

Cash is still not accepted for these government debt and credit cards have a 2% convenience fee.

Annually the Air District would arrive to inspect the hospital generator... It's two two years now and no field inspection but fees are due for annual inspection.

Same for code compliance and low income housing inspection...

Again, my experience is limited to SF Bay Area... which is just a dot on the map...

/ Essential Workers? #10  
I have a 10 acre undeveloped piece of property where i grow grass for the horses to graze. Its ag property worth maybe 300k . Taxed about $80 per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.