Essential Workers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Essential Workers? #91  
COVID was the best thing to happen with the CT DMV. Pre-Covid it took me 3 hours to register a new trailer even though the online queue said the wait was 5 minutes. Post COVID you make an appointment online and you show up, no lines, no wait. Trailer registration took 5 minutes and my driver's license renewal with added verified ID took 7 minutes. Best customer service I have ever seen. Both times I have told them this is the best DMV experience I have had in any state.

/ Essential Workers?
COVID was the best thing to happen with the CT DMV. Pre-Covid it took me 3 hours to register a new trailer even though the online queue said the wait was 5 minutes. Post COVID you make an appointment online and you show up, no lines, no wait. Trailer registration took 5 minutes and my driver's license renewal with added verified ID took 7 minutes. Best customer service I have ever seen. Both times I have told them this is the best DMV experience I have had in any state.

The problem for my 16 year old niece is there were no appointments to be had within 200 mile radius from home... not even booking months out...

/ Essential Workers?
We need more essential workers...

Last edited:
   / Essential Workers? #94  
View attachment 721703

Here's an example...non- teaching staffing has far outpaced teaching staffing in the last 50 years. The non teachers primary role seems to be to think up new things for teachers to do that have nothing to do with teaching our students.
AMEN

/ Essential Workers? #95  
I always thought a good improvement to the system would be to have the committee assignments made by rotation. For example, the representative from the 26th district of Texas will be on the AG committee for the 2023-2024 Congress. This would be irrespective of party or years of service. These are representatives, not experts. For something like AG, I would put in the rules that a district must be at least 50% rural (by area) to be considered. At the very least, committee assignments should be made by drawing names of representatives like a raffle. They each get x number of tickets to place in each hopper. That way, if you really want on the AG committee, you put your tickets there. The other side benefit is that this lessens the power of parties as they no longer control who gets to be on the committees.

The other problem with term limits s that it leaves the staff in place and those unelected persons have far too much power as it is.
Those unelected staff are what I believe is referred to as the dark state. All they gotta do is slow down a little and everything stops.

The only feasible solution is to limit government involvement in almost everything.

I don't see that happening.

/ Essential Workers? #96  
Our state removed the drivers licensing from the circuit clerks office. This was 50% of their workload. When the newspaper interviewed the clerk about how many jobs would be lost, she informed them that there would be no jobs lost. Go figure.

The county school system is pathetic. Almost every position has an assistant with some having multiple. The amount of vehicles that they supply is staggering for a county of our size.
For a system that was shut down most of the time lately they still needed to raise the school tax.

All counties have an EMS director that does nothing and has no authority over individual agencies. I can only guess that their loneliness was the reasoning in hiring them assistants with brand new loaded trucks also.

/ Essential Workers? #97  
It is true you can probably get a higher salary in the private sector, but as a retired federal employee I had excellent benefits. Paid holidays or double time working the holiday, some of the best health insurance, dental and vision in the country, I earned 4 weeks of paid sick leave per year which I could carry over to the next year. Some staff had 2000-3000 hrs of sick leave built up. I earned 5 weeks of vacation leave per year which I could build up to 800 hrs if not used over the time. when I retired I cashed in 750 hrs of vacation time, that amounted to $51,000. Too bad the IRS took $19,000 of it, ugh !!!!!

/ Essential Workers? #98  
It is true you can probably get a higher salary in the private sector, but as a retired federal employee I had excellent benefits. Paid holidays or double time working the holiday, some of the best health insurance, dental and vision in the country, I earned 4 weeks of paid sick leave per year which I could carry over to the next year. Some staff had 2000-3000 hrs of sick leave built up. I earned 5 weeks of vacation leave per year which I could build up to 800 hrs if not used over the time. when I retired I cashed in 750 hrs of vacation time, that amounted to $51,000. Too bad the IRS took $19,000 of it, ugh !!!!!
No offence but your discription above is a huge part of the problem.

First, l don't blame you or anyone for taking advantage of any situation,, that's what most people do, low hanging fruit.

Second....I was married to a govt employee for over 20 years and her entire family was employed by the govt, family business. I've heard all the stories first hand! Honestly, I liked most of them but wouldn't have hired a one of them.

Again, good for you, sounds like you took a ride on the gravy train!

/ Essential Workers? #99  
Second....I was married to a govt employee for over 20 years and her entire family was employed by the govt, family business. I've heard all the stories first hand! Honestly, I liked most of them but wouldn't have hired a one of them.
I am seeing this first hand during my 5 years in public schools. The attendance alone would have 30% of my co-workers fired from a private sector job. Don't get me wrong, there are some teachers who do considerably more work than average. Unfortunately, pay is based on time in job, not how hard or well you work. As long as you don't touch the students and don't touch the money, it is almost impossible to be fired.

/ Essential Workers? #100  
No offence but your discription above is a huge part of the problem.

First, l don't blame you or anyone for taking advantage of any situation,, that's what most people do, low hanging fruit.

Again, good for you, sounds like you took a ride on the gravy train!
I was a psychiatric RN on a locked psych ward at the VA. I’ve been assaulted numerous times. Thrown against the wall, spit on, cussed at daily, hit by chairs, kicked and punched by psychotic patients. Worked with severe PTSD, schizophrenia, manic bipolar vets that’s I had to take down and in the hallway and stick a needle full of Geodon in their ass. Yeah, I’d say I earned every penny.

Status
Not open for further replies.