Essential Workers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Essential Workers? #171  
SATs and other standardized tests aren't perfect but they are about all we have. Having predictable standardized tests push teachers to "teach to the test" which isn't ideal, but not having tests at all hide the underperforming schools and teachers. Home environment is probably as important to student success as teacher performance, but I think moving students from poor schools to good schools must have some influence just from the better learning atmosphere.

/ Essential Workers? #172  
It is hard to "teach to the test" when a teacher has no idea what is on it.

One year, the math test had about 10-15% probability questions. The math book being used had no probability instruction. That was done in a higher grade. Students scored poorly. Supplemental materials were purchased and used. The next year's test had no probability questions.

Bruce

/ Essential Workers? #173  
As stated before my experience is dated so things may have improved. I've always been good at multiple choice tests - with just 1 right answer- and my SATs put me at the 97th percentile. I just wish I was smart enough to actually live up to those numbers.

/ Essential Workers? #174  
As stated before my experience is dated so things may have improved. I've always been good at multiple choice tests - with just 1 right answer- and my SATs put me at the 97th percentile. I just wish I was smart enough to actually live up to those numbers.
Do what I did. I cheated on the IQ test!

/ Essential Workers?
Read some Universities are doing away with SAT as it is exclusionary...

/ Essential Workers? #176  
Read some Universities are doing away with SAT as it is exclusionary...
Yeah! It actually leads to excluding less educated people from attending college.

/ Essential Workers? #178  
Having predictable standardized tests push teachers to "teach to the test" which isn't ideal,
I have never understood why "teaching to the test" is a problem. If the test questions are relevant to ensuring the student or applicant has the prescribed knowledge, isn't it logical to "teach to the test?"

I've done much flight training. Progressing through almost every common rating. Every regimen I went through "taught to the test." On purpose. If you failed the test, you didn't get that particular flight certificate.

If the process is good for flight training, which involves some elevated level of hazard and risk, why isn't it appropriate for general purpose use?

/ Essential Workers? #179  
Another question is how to evaluate the students? SATs are a joke, unless they've changed immensely since I took them 45 years ago.
Evaluating students is easy, it’s called grades. The problem there though is nobody ever really fails k-12 because we just pass everyone along whether they learn anything or not. College is getting that way now too. Even with that, today the push is to eliminate grading entirely because too many in some groups still manage to screw it up. They want to go to a simple pass/fail instead. I suppose if we keep going that way we’ll eventually get to where kids all get A‘s just for showing up at least half the time.

/ Essential Workers? #180  
Evaluating students is easy, it’s called grades. The problem there though is nobody ever really fails k-12 because we just pass everyone along whether they learn anything or not. College is getting that way now too. Even with that, today the push is to eliminate grading entirely because too many in some groups still manage to screw it up. They want to go to a simple pass/fail instead. I suppose if we keep going that way we’ll eventually get to where kids all get A‘s just for showing up at least half the time.
That makes a lot of sense. I can safely say that my grades didn't align with my PSAT/SAT scores when I was in school. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.