Exploding tractor battery!

/ Exploding tractor battery! #31  
All of my batteries except that for the 8N and TO35 are "Maintenance Free", so there's no way to even check the electrolytes.
Both tractors mentioned aren't currently in use, pending maintenance and repairs.

That is one of the common connections for many of the failures we’ve investigated. Many standby units are now using maintenance free batteries because it’s getting difficult to find serviceable batteries.

The problem is the battery is the same, still uses up electrolyte, just no way to top up. Once plates are exposed, any arc from a bad cell connector or even a hot connection will ignite the hydrogen.

/ Exploding tractor battery! #32  
The maintenance free batteries that we used on our gen sets still had removable tops for checking the levels. They could be removed you just had to make an effort.

/ Exploding tractor battery! #33  
When you clean the tractor wash the beck out of it, rinse with plenty of baking soda dissolved in water, let it sit, then repeat. Any sign at all of bubbling means acid is present. I had to clean up a battery acid spill a couple times. The acid creeps into any crevice it can find. So dilution and neutralizing are really important to prevent damage to your tractor. Oh Yeah, glad you're OK, now you can get back to work on your tractor without any silly visits to a hospital.
Keep safe,
Eric

/ Exploding tractor battery! #34  
When you clean the tractor wash the beck out of it, rinse with plenty of baking soda dissolved in water, let it sit, then repeat. Any sign at all of bubbling means acid is present. I had to clean up a battery acid spill a couple times. The acid creeps into any crevice it can find. So dilution and neutralizing are really important to prevent damage to your tractor. Oh Yeah, glad you're OK, now you can get back to work on your tractor without any silly visits to a hospital.
Keep safe,
Eric

/ Exploding tractor battery! #35  
The maintenance free batteries that we used on our gen sets still had removable tops for checking the levels. They could be removed you just had to make an effort.
We use maintenance free for the hospital because the state required it and batteries change out every three years.

Some are still easy to access... Some are really sealed.

/ Exploding tractor battery! #36  
We built a log cabin in Alaska. Used the Warn winch on the Jeep EXTENSIVElY. Got so hot the case on the Sears Diehard battery melted and all the battery acid hit the ground. Went thru three Diehard batteries building that cabin.

/ Exploding tractor battery! #37  
Mine's a 1959 model. It's 20 days younger than I am. Despite only being used 2 or 3 times a year it always starts first go. I've had it nearly a decade and this is the first time I've had any real issue. I've no idea what a vacuum governor is, or even if it has one. Anyway, here's a photo of it with my sister-in-law in the driving seat.
No, yours don't have it, an upgrade for me is to have your type. Batteries explode at times. I have had it happen a few times. Not on the tractor. It shouldn't hurt anything but the battery. Wash the acid off of everything.

/ Exploding tractor battery! #38  
We built a log cabin in Alaska. Used the Warn winch on the Jeep EXTENSIVElY. Got so hot the case on the Sears Diehard battery melted and all the battery acid hit the ground. Went thru three Diehard batteries building that cabin.

Those winches have very limited duty cycles (some are rated for a few minutes of use then 15+ minutes of cool down). I hear of this happening to a lot of people that try to use them continuously.

I don't remember the exact ratings for the 4000# Warn winch on my RTV, but I remember reading the manual during install and thinking I'd only have one good pull in an emergency and then need to take a lunch break before the next attempt. Kind of pathetic considering the price.

/ Exploding tractor battery! #39  
Glad you had the bonnet closed and didn't get hurt.

On the Navy ships I work on.....actually all first world Country ships of any size, there must be an interlock installed while using the fixed battery charging systems (of which there are many). The interlock prevents the charger from operating unless the ventilation fan for that space is energized.

/ Exploding tractor battery! #40  
One blew up two weeks ago right below my head! I was helping friend with Ford F250 7.3L diesel (has two batteries), he had charger on and genius me was using a propane torch to solder starter cable at the battery, friend off to the side holding cable with pliers. It was like dynamite going off and blew us backwards.
He had outdoor spigot not far and I had him get baking soda, washing up ourselves.
Lucky but still barely can hear out of my ear closest to it.
I am starting to understand some of those youthful "pranks" just a bit better now. :)