Exploding tractor battery!

/ Exploding tractor battery! #21  
"My shirt quickly turned to rags from the acid."

LOL. reminds me of a youthful episode. (Acid fumes)

Earlier I had been doing some lab experimenting that involving acid.
I seem to remember making hydrogen.

Next day, nice and hot, coming home I visited a friend and was lured into water skiing.
Not properly dressed I simply rolled up my pants (hey I don't fall) and off we went.
Well, friend's motor conked out and I swam in my trousers.
When I unrolled my trousers all I had left was a pair of shorts and cuffs.

The worst part was explaining to my mother.

/ Exploding tractor battery! #22  
Very glad you were not hurt when this happened.

/ Exploding tractor battery! #23  
Yep... couldn't hear and the guys came running over from the sales office...

I was the lot boy washing cars, getting keys, etc. at age 13 ish.

A red 1970 Chevrolet had a week battery so I rolled out the lot charger and set it to quick charge... went back a few minutes later and wiggled the charger clamp to the battery post and BAM!

Somehow it did not get into my eyes and one of the guys hosed me down so now I was deaf and shivering....

Mom was not happy on the least when I came home... one of the guys drove me home in the back of a pickup

/ Exploding tractor battery! #24  
I've had this happen before on generators and in most cases it was due to a defective battery charger that gets stuck in the on position causing the batteries to overcharge which in turn cooks all of the acid out, end result is explosion.

/ Exploding tractor battery! #25  
This has become an epidemic lately. I work for a major engine and generator company and we have seen a massive increase in the number of batteries exploding in the pst few years. It used to be a rare occurrence, maybe a few a year, now it’s at least one a month.

We are working with several battery manufacturers at the moment to determine the cause however it looks like the main reason is material cost reduction.

Bottom line is, cover your batteries, you never know when it can happen and anything that deflects the acid and shrapnel may be the difference that prevents a major injury or vision loss.

/ Exploding tractor battery! #26  
Battery shop said all precaution to avoid spark and if electrolyte is full no where for hydrogen to collect...

/ Exploding tractor battery! #27  
Absolutely, it's most important to keep the electrolyte topped off.

/ Exploding tractor battery! #28  
Another good point Murray, keep your batteries enclosed to contain the shrapnel.

/ Exploding tractor battery! #29  
Or buy nickle-iron batteries if you can afford them. They are about 1k for a standard size auto battery.

/ Exploding tractor battery! #30  
All of my batteries except that for the 8N and TO35 are "Maintenance Free", so there's no way to even check the electrolytes.
Both tractors mentioned aren't currently in use, pending maintenance and repairs.