F150 Powerstroke announced.

/ F150 Powerstroke announced. #31  
Well I haven't heard anything about Volvo/Paccar on my end. But stranger things have happened, LOL.

It's almost like politics with manufacturers these days......they say one thing and do something else.

You sure it wasn't the VW/Navistar partnership he was telling you about Diamond? Because International had dropped Cummins years ago when they did the venture with Caterpillar. Now that that is over they went back to Cummins. But now they have three big engine builders in their stable for future development (VW, MAN and Scania) and I know Cummins was worried about that, because they don't have a solid future commitment from International.
International has come out and said point blank....for the moment we will continue to offer Cummins and they have been a great partner, but we have big plans for more vertical integration from our new VW partners.

/ F150 Powerstroke announced. #32  
I was told by one about a month ago they were worried about their job because now is the time they should be negotiating with Ram on the next series of motors for the trucks. They said that Ram wasn't in a hurry to talk and acted like they no longer needed Cummins.

As for the Volvo Paccar relationship he said a few weeks back that Volvo was going after about 30% stake in Paccar which also had him nervous.

He stated if it were not for sales overseas Cummins would be in serious trouble.

Who knows, perhaps it's all rumor?

Ok-thx for response. I would find it highly unlikely that Volvo would have the means to go after 30% of Paccar. Like you, we only go by what we "hear" or read but one fact is certain, through 9 mos YTD, Paccar has 28.5% of the class 8 market plus 16.9% of class 7. Volvo has 18.9% of class 8 (including Mack) and NO stake in class 7. Plus some think they are contemplating selling their construction equipment line to keep the truck operation going. Who knows.

I myself have a bigger concern that at some point, someone in Sweden will say...."Mack?-who needs it- duplicated costs, common engines blah blah-the old synergism story. Mack was always the vocational heavy truck leader-in particular when it was a truly integrated truck line with its own engines, transmissions and rear ends. That unfortunately is true to a lesser degree today.

/ F150 Powerstroke announced. #33  
I don't see that. Ford has built it's own successful diesel with out loosing market share.

GM basically has a in-house diesel with its Isuzu built Dura Max.

If the Fiat diesel exceeds the performance of the Cummins it replaces that will be good enough for 9 out of 10 new truck buyers.

10 years ago people bought the Cummins and put up with the Dodge. Now days Ram is on par mechanically, fit and finish, and anti rust with its competitors.

/ F150 Powerstroke announced. #34  
I don't see that. Ford has built it's own successful diesel with out loosing market share.

GM basically has a in-house diesel with its Isuzu built Dura Max.

If the Fiat diesel exceeds the performance of the Cummins it replaces that will be good enough for 9 out of 10 new truck buyers.

10 years ago people bought the Cummins and put up with the Dodge. Now days Ram is on par mechanically, fit and finish, and anti rust with its competitors.

I see your point but this is a much different situation. Cummins has a pretty big following and this could certainly make them feel betrayed and not want to buy a new truck with a foreign diesel. Cummins is more popular than any of the engines that other brand pickups have dropped and the relationship is much longer than those were.

Had GM used Cat diesels for 30+ years and then dropped Cat to make the Dura Max it might be comparable. But dropping the 6.2 and 6.5 turds to make thier own was really in everyone's best interest and made sense. This is more about corporate politics.

/ F150 Powerstroke announced. #35  
Yeah, but when Ford built their own diesel it wasn't like they already had a reliable option...the 6.4 was the second ticking time bomb in a row and they had to do something. Would love to see a baby PS closer to 4.0 with 300/500 but I think this 3.0 project is being done for MPGs not max towing capability. Having said that I'll stick with my 3.5 EB for a while and see how things pan out. It tows like a diesel anyway...

/ F150 Powerstroke announced. #36  
Man you guys are power hungry. I'd be happy with a 200 hp midsize or compact diesel pickup that got a legit 30+ MPG. Third world countries seem to have them everywhere but not here.

/ F150 Powerstroke announced. #37  
Man you guys are power hungry. I'd be happy with a 200 hp midsize or compact diesel pickup that got a legit 30+ MPG. Third world countries seem to have them everywhere but not here.

Like in Brazil- Ford builds an old school Super Duty 350-I think they refer to it as a 4000-with a four cyl. Cummins!

/ F150 Powerstroke announced. #38  
I think you're wrong DP. As a 3.0L EcoDiesel Owner I'm thrilled that I can have a daily driver truck that exceeds 20 mpg and I think the truck has PLENTY of power. The "original" 7.3L Powerstroke engine from the 90's ONLY had 210 HP and 425 ft lbs of torque. We had a 96 and boy we thought it was powerful. We used it on an F-350 service truck that weighed in excess of 13,000 lbs. I have about the same horsepower/TQ in my ~6,000 lb daily driver, it feels strong and powerful, just as much as my 3.5L ecoboost, and it gets the mileage that it says it will get.

Titan offers the Cummins 5.0 because they do not have a 3/4 ton truck to offer. It does not get very good mileage, about the same as any 250/2500 diesel offered by the Big 3 but with much less capability.

I think that Ford and Ram have both missed the mark. To me the diesel offerings need to meet or exceed the best gas offering.

Nissan has it right with the 5.0 Cummins.

/ F150 Powerstroke announced. #39  
Noticed in the article the 2018 F150 will have a 10 speed transmission.Where will it end 12 speed tannys,15 speeds?

It will end at infinity. Finally a heavy duty CVT.

/ F150 Powerstroke announced. #40  

Boy oh Boys, and I have to get by with a mere 180 HP and four speeds from twenty one years ago!