Favorite Subcompact Color? 😁

/ Favorite Subcompact Color? 😁 #31  
I have actually pushed many hundreds of wheelbarrow loads of firewood around a 1 acre lot, I grew up on a lot that size. Subcompacts were not really a "thing" back then, but we got a garden tractor when I was in my teens, which with a wagon was honestly more than we really ever needed for such a small lot.

And don't take this as some "my tractor is bigger than your tractor" BS, because it's not that, at all. I think subcompacts look like great fun, and could be useful for many tasks, my objection to them is 100% based on cost/value. These little subcompacts run nearly the price of compact tractors, but are so much less capable. For the aforementioned 1 acre lot, you could have a nice garden tractor, a wheelbarrow, a zero-turn, AND a snowblower, for much less than the cost of some sub-compact tractors that don't do any of those individual jobs nearly as well as those individual purpose-built tools.

But on my original point, I paid less for a new 60" JD 757 ZTrak zero turn + a low-hours JD 855 MFWD + model 52 FEL + a Woods SB64S 3-point snowblower, than the cost of one new subcompact, at the time. It was a simple decision, for me, and so I have trouble understanding most cases where people go the subcompact route.

True! They wouldn't be making them, if no one was buying them. I also see a lot of guys with jacked up trucks wearing $5k - $10k in expensive offroad tires and suspension work, who will never leave the pavement. The fact that it exists and sells, by itself, is not a very good argument for its sensibility.

I think there are a number of things you are leaving out of all of the above.
1. You are comparing a bunch of used stuff to a new tractor
2. You are comparing the price of a New JD SCUT, pricey green paint, I personally don't see the economic reason or value of buying expensive green paint. Especially the size of your tractor for 4 acres, really!
Name a couple thing you can do with your CUT that I couldn't do with the SCUT pictured below, just a little slower? Just name 2 or even one, on your 4 acres.
4. For the guys on here saying a SCUT is not as practical, cost wise, as a CUT, have you ever even owned a SCUT? If you haven't I really don't care about your opinion of a SCUT. I have both a CUT and a SCUT and honestly having a real hard time parting with my little Case IH SCUT because it is just so useful and I will use it to teach my grandkids how to tractor.
5. My BIL has a JD 3032 and he mows his 1.5 acres with it. He doesn't garden, short driveway, pretty much sits in his garage except for mowing. Can you say, compensating for a lack of something!
6. Garage space, weight on my yard, fitting in my garage, price (Compacts do cost more why pay for what I don't need?), I don't need a ZTR I have a SCUT, it does everything in one package and less equipment to maintain. I could go on but that would be wasting my time on Thanksgiving morning. You do you, don't criticize other's decisions and we won't criticize yours.
1669294790572.png

Last edited:
   / Favorite Subcompact Color? 😁 #32  
The motel owner of a place I frequented had a little Ford LGT lawn tractor with a loader on front and did a LOT of work with it. He said that it was great for moving material such as mulch, but of course useless for digging. He'd have bark mulch or loam dumped in a part of the asphalt driveway and use the little Ford to move it around the yard. Much better than moving the same amount around with a shovel and wheelbarrow... which I have done many times.

/ Favorite Subcompact Color? 😁 #33  
I think there are a number of things you are leaving out of all of the above.
1. You are comparing a bunch of used stuff to a new tractor
Yes, that's fair. Because at the time I made the comparison there was a very healthy used market for CUT's, but not so much for SCUT's. My local dealer still resells CUT's, but won't touch 2nd hand SCUT's.

2. You are comparing the price of a New JD SCUT, pricey green paint, I personally don't see the economic reason or value of buying expensive green paint. Especially the size of your tractor for 4 acres, really!
If you think paint is the only reason JD is more expensive than a tractor made in India, there's really no point in arguing with you. You've already chosen to ignore reality. There are many reasons that people argue "green or orange", which justify the higher cost of Kubota and Deere. For some people, these reasons don't justify the higher price, but for many more, they do.

Name a couple thing you can do with your CUT that I couldn't do with the SCUT pictured below, just a little slower?
My tractor is used primarily for lifting 15 foot logs, mostly oak, out of a tandem-axle trailer. It's honestly undersized for this task, I have to resort to dragging many of them off the end of the trailer instead, but it's the biggest tractor I could fit into my barn without modifying the doors, and also the largest machine I'd want to use for many of my other requirements.

Just name 2 or even one, on your 4 acres.
Maybe you need to make fewer assumptions before you reach out and attack someone. I already did name one, but if you need more, this is my back yard:

IMG_3901.JPGIMG_4843.JPGIMG_4849.JPGIMG_4850.JPGIMG_4851.JPG

Can you say, compensating for a lack of something!
Really? Why would you ever assume that the purpose for which a machine is bought has ANYTHING to do with the size of the property on which it is used? I know guys moving bulk coal and stone on 1/2 acre city lots with skid steers larger than my tractor. For what would you argue they're compensating, given they have even less than "4 acres".

On the flip side of that, my family owns 84 acres almost an hour east of here, and they have no tractor on the property. Not needed, for what they're doing there. Again, don't assume size of property dictates size of tractor, or vice versa.

For the record, I wasn't criticizing your decision. I was only pointing out that SCUT's make little financial sense, in most cases. I still believe that to be true. Now if you want to argue there are non-financial reasons they do make sense, that's totally valid, I can think of a few myself. But it doesn't invalidate my original premise that they represent very poor value or capability per dollar spent.

Last edited:
   / Favorite Subcompact Color? 😁 #34  
i checked them all out, chose the Orange Kubota

/ Favorite Subcompact Color? 😁 #36  
Yes, that's fair. Because at the time I made the comparison there was a very healthy used market for CUT's, but not so much for SCUT's. My local dealer still resells CUT's, but won't touch 2nd hand SCUT's.

If you think paint is the only reason JD is more expensive than a tractor made in India, there's really no point in arguing with you. You've already chosen to ignore reality. There are many reasons that people argue "green or orange", which justify the higher cost of Kubota and Deere. For some people, these reasons don't justify the higher price, but for many more, they do.

My tractor is used primarily for lifting 15 foot logs, mostly oak, out of a tandem-axle trailer. It's honestly undersized for this task, I have to resort to dragging many of them off the end of the trailer instead, but it's the biggest tractor I could fit into my barn without modifying the doors, and also the largest machine I'd want to use for many of my other requirements.

Maybe you need to make fewer assumptions before you reach out and attack someone. I already did name one, but if you need more, this is my back yard:

View attachment 771765View attachment 771766View attachment 771767View attachment 771768View attachment 771769

Really? Why would you ever assume that the purpose for which a machine is bought has ANYTHING to do with the size of the property on which it is used? I know guys moving bulk coal and stone on 1/2 acre city lots with skid steers larger than my tractor. For what would you argue they're compensating, given they have even less than "4 acres".

On the flip side of that, my family owns 84 acres almost an hour east of here, and they have no tractor on the property. Not needed, for what they're doing there. Again, don't assume size of property dictates size of tractor, or vice versa.

For the record, I wasn't criticizing your decision. I was only pointing out that SCUT's make little financial sense, in most cases. I still believe that to be true. Now if you want to argue there are non-financial reasons they do make sense, that's totally valid, I can think of a few myself. But it doesn't invalidate my original premise that they represent very poor value or capability per dollar spent.
The thread was titled which color do you prefer not which size do you prefer. You started in on everybody who wants a SCUT being foolish. I didn't start this my first comment was which one I preferred.

/ Favorite Subcompact Color? 😁 #37  
The thread was titled which color do you prefer not which size do you prefer. You started in on everybody who wants a SCUT being foolish. I didn't start this my first comment was which one I preferred.
That's fine. Maybe I should've kept my mouth shut. I don't think what I said was wrong, but this thread perhaps wasn't the place for it.

/ Favorite Subcompact Color? 😁 #38  
Red.

And oh boy with the SCUT naysayers…

Mine has made a healthy profit for the last 5 years. Paying for itself over and over on the commercial side, and doing everything I need at home.

Those that call them out absolutely have zero idea about which they speak, but the constant regurgitation is amusing.

/ Favorite Subcompact Color? 😁 #39  
I went from Green to Blue LSXJ2025. I had a 1984 JD1050 33 hp that always seem to need something fixed every time I used it. The Mrs. wanted a smaller tractor with a MMM and hydrostat that was easier for her to drive. I sold the green and bought the blue used with 18 hours on the clock for less money that what I sold the green for. I’m not really partial to a color, just a bargain.

/ Favorite Subcompact Color? 😁 #40  
I chose the dealer and that dealer had red and blue, I went with the red.

Never saw any appeal in any sub-compact. I honesty don't know why they're as popular as they seem to be. Very poor value, when compared to any regular cat.1 CUT.

Sub compacts are for suburbanites with excess funds that want to play the part but in reality don't have a clue. My Kubota dealer sells a ton of them and most never get many hours on them and certainly don't get maintained properly either.
The main purpose for me is snow management. I needed something with a bucket and a blower capable of handling 4 to 6 foot drifts. The fact that it has a mower deck just means that I don't need 2 pieces of equipment with one or the other sitting idle, I dislike unitaskers. Anything bigger than this and I would have to have a second "something" to get the mowing done.

Last edited: