Fence Posts

/ Fence Posts #31  
   / Fence Posts #33  
   / Fence Posts #34  
Why waste time and money on concrete?

/ Fence Posts #35  
Interesting reading all these posts.
All the fences I have been involved in building and repairing in over 60 years have been field fencing for livestock.
I have used an auger for maybe a dozen posts in all those years, that fence used railroad tyes for the corner and gate posts.
Every other post I have put in has been driven, as a youngster working for my father it involved using a bar to get the hole started,
then a 13 pound post maul to drive the post in. A post maul is similar to a sledge hammer except the driving end is about 6" in diameter.
Now days it's a hydraulic driver mounted on the FEL of the tractor, much handier then 3 point.
Enjoy your digging and concreting, not for me.

We installed over 200 down here in Florida back in ‘07 when driving them was quite surreal to watch. They’re still doing fine today in the clay/sand mix we have here.
Add to the mix high tension vinyl fencing instead of standard fencing. I use a 1/2” breaker bar on the turnbuckles to tighten things up every 2-3 yrs.

/ Fence Posts #36  
I've put 1000's of posts in the ground. I've always put a couple of inches if dirt in. Tamped it, then dumped a bag of Crete in dry and tamped it. If the ground is moist it will set. If it's bone dry I'll add water if possible. Then next day put dirt on top and tamp it. Like to keep Crete 4-6" below grade.

Most of the posts seem to rot from the center out on top.

/ Fence Posts #37  
Had one job where 64 year old posts set in concrete needed to be replaced.

The new post slipped right in slick as could be...

/ Fence Posts #38  
I could see using concrete as a sleeve, where you could remove a section. I sleeved one split rail fence post so I can remove that section, but I used pvc pipe as the sleeve and tamped with dirt.

Last edited:
   / Fence Posts #39  
current price at HD $5.58 for "fast setting" 50lb bag, $2.69 for 60lb of Portland. I will continue to mix the concrete personally. 3-4 bags in the wheelbarrow, short shovel, and good workout, and know I never have to worry about doing that post again in my life time.
As Eddie mentioned a dome cap at the top of a wooden post will extend the life by several years.