Field Mowing Pattern - Side Discharge

/ Field Mowing Pattern - Side Discharge #31  
So, when you're cutting a field/yard/other..... many times the field isn't square with straight sides, so you have to curve in/out along the edges to dodge aggressive branches.

Question.... do you FOLLOW that pattern throughout the cut so the field has wavering lines all the way through or, do you "waste" a round or two so you can cut the rounded part off to square up the line so you then leave the field looking nicer?

I'll admit, I'll spend the extra time to straighten out the edges. I figure I don't mind cutting (I enjoy it) and it really doesn't take that much more effort to change the cut pattern to give it a nicer look.

Maybe I can throw my mother under the bus?? As a teenager when I was cutting the back yard, (with a push mower), I once looked at it as having different sections. There was the section between the garden and the brick retaining wall, another section that was the hill, a large back flat section that could be split into two areas for ease of cut.

I took each section and simply pointed the clippings to the outside and made smaller & smaller turns creating a bit of a spiral appearance. I went to the next section and did same, then the next section.

When I was done, the yard had a bit of an appearance of those "crazy glasses" where you have that spiral into infinity.

My mother got home and went ballistic on me. To the point she said she wanted me to go BACK out there and recut the entire yard to ostensibly "erase" those circles and replace them with more straight lines.

I don't recall that actually happening but she really got bent out of shape over nothing on that, after all, a week later it will need cut again and I can fix it then!

So now, I figure if I'm going to spend three hours cutting a field, I may as well spend those three hours cutting in a fashion that at least makes it more pleasing to look at rather than a hodge-podge of cutting. Therefore, I square up the sides and generally try to make nice clean straight lines (with a flexwing, verses finish)

Who else is willing to admit to their being OCD enough to do that??!!

/ Field Mowing Pattern - Side Discharge #32  
I believe my pasture does expand in the heat. Today it was 108 degrees and it sure seemed a lot longer to get from one side to the other. :)
Truth

/ Field Mowing Pattern - Side Discharge #33  
I straighten my lines as well, but mainly so my arms don't get tired constantly swerving back and forth.

/ Field Mowing Pattern - Side Discharge #34  
So, when you're cutting a field/yard/other..... many times the field isn't square with straight sides, so you have to curve in/out along the edges to dodge aggressive branches.

Question.... do you FOLLOW that pattern throughout the cut so the field has wavering lines all the way through or, do you "waste" a round or two so you can cut the rounded part off to square up the line so you then leave the field looking nicer?

I'll admit, I'll spend the extra time to straighten out the edges. I figure I don't mind cutting (I enjoy it) and it really doesn't take that much more effort to change the cut pattern to give it a nicer look.

Maybe I can throw my mother under the bus?? As a teenager when I was cutting the back yard, (with a push mower), I once looked at it as having different sections. There was the section between the garden and the brick retaining wall, another section that was the hill, a large back flat section that could be split into two areas for ease of cut.

I took each section and simply pointed the clippings to the outside and made smaller & smaller turns creating a bit of a spiral appearance. I went to the next section and did same, then the next section.

When I was done, the yard had a bit of an appearance of those "crazy glasses" where you have that spiral into infinity.

My mother got home and went ballistic on me. To the point she said she wanted me to go BACK out there and recut the entire yard to ostensibly "erase" those circles and replace them with more straight lines.

I don't recall that actually happening but she really got bent out of shape over nothing on that, after all, a week later it will need cut again and I can fix it then!

So now, I figure if I'm going to spend three hours cutting a field, I may as well spend those three hours cutting in a fashion that at least makes it more pleasing to look at rather than a hodge-podge of cutting. Therefore, I square up the sides and generally try to make nice clean straight lines (with a flexwing, verses finish)

Sometimes I mow on a diagonal back and forth. The next time I'll mow the opposite diagonal. The next time I'll do outside-to-inside continuous circle. And sometimes I mow north south or east west. Just depends on what I want the yard to look like. If I'm in a hurry, it's the outside-to-inside continuous route. It has the fewest reductions in speed for me.

/ Field Mowing Pattern - Side Discharge #35  
Sometimes I mow on a diagonal back and forth. The next time I'll mow the opposite diagonal. The next time I'll do outside-to-inside continuous circle. And sometimes I mow north south or east west. Just depends on what I want the yard to look like. If I'm in a hurry, it's the outside-to-inside continuous route. It has the fewest reductions in speed for me.

Like this. I use my "rolling strips" technique up-thread and alternate directions w/each mowing.

Works just fine on my ~1/2 acre lawn that's nowhere near rectangular.

Z.

/ Field Mowing Pattern - Side Discharge #36  
Is the BX hydrostat or is it a gear where you are trying to avoid reverse?

Simplest answer is the most efficient way to mow.....is the way that you can keep the mowers full width cutting the the most. And when you get to an end or need to make a turn.....whatever way works for YOUR machine and YOU operating it to get the FULL width iof the mower back to work again. That is gonna be the most efficient.

Now on fields that are rectangle....more than 2x longer than wide....I try to focus on the long runs. Lets say it takes you 90 seconds to mow long run and 10 seconds on a turn around.....thats 90% efficient. IF the short runs only take you 40 seconds to mow....but the turn still takes the 10 seconds....you have just doubled the time you spend NOT mowing and dropping to 80% efficient.

Zamboni works for tillage because they are usually LOOONNNNGGGG runs down and back a field with minimal waste.

With a mower....trying to leave strips its easy to mis-judge. You have a 54" mower.....what if you get a few areas where you left it 56-58"? Now you are wasting a whole trip across a field to mow 4" of uncut grass. Or what if you leave it too small. Mowing a 42" strip with a 54" mower is equally inefficient.

With a HST machine I do down and back passes like a ZTR striping a lawn. Is there a reason you cannot blow ONE pass in then the next out? Is the grass that thick that its causing you issues? I do down and backs and even with a 8' bushhog I leave some pretty good looking stripes on some of the bushhog jobs I do. Customers are impressed....but at the end of the day it is the most efficient way to mow

/ Field Mowing Pattern - Side Discharge
It's HST, a joy to drive.
And, it's a remote field, we trailer to it once a month or so.
Wanna' cut FAST!

Corners are a problem - little else.

/ Field Mowing Pattern - Side Discharge #38  
It's HST, a joy to drive.
And, it's a remote field, we trailer to it once a month or so.
Wanna' cut FAST!

Corners are a problem - little else.
Once a month with a belly mount finish mower just sound slow. Is it very thin and sparse? Anything around here....if you wait a month....it's slow going with a lawn mower.

But still....the fastest way is quite simply the way in which you spend more time cutting and less time in turns.

Good news is you have several cuttings left. So you can try what has been suggested here and compare the different styles and what is the most efficient

/ Field Mowing Pattern - Side Discharge #39  
So, currently 'cutting in' the perimeter, as non-discharge side allows, then counter clockwise in shrinking perimeter. I wanna' go the 9 miles an hour.
Problem is the corner radius does not work, pass to pass. Even a wide swept corner eventually becomes too tight a radius to cut., This leads to either K turns, 270's, or wide-swinging that leaves what becomes 'lobes to be cleaned up every few passes.

On 'paper', I think a short interior pass, K turned to another, and again eventually becomes a radiused rectangle for speed later in the day.

Like hdbikercouple suggested: Mowing - Efficient mowing pattern? anyone familiar?

BX23, 54 belly mower, right side discharge
Just plug up the outlet and mulch them. First thing I did on the Ryobi ZT was to put the plug in place and to remove the discharge flap.

/ Field Mowing Pattern - Side Discharge #40  
I can turn my BX2200 into a mulcher in 2 minutes with a piece of sheetmetal and a C-clamp. Cost me nothing, because I found both at the junkyard in a retired service van.