Filter wrenches.

/ Filter wrenches. #41  
   / Filter wrenches. #43  
Grsgreat, I don't have problems with my oil filter but I do like the wrench you show. Do you have a link to this? I'd like to add this style to my toolbox. Thanks, Greg
I get them at auto parts store, but home depot also sells them

/ Filter wrenches. #44  
I've only ever had problems with filters( oil & hydraulic ) on brand new vehicles. Seems like the OEM filter is difficult to remove because of the "paint bond" established when the engine is originally painted.

I've found that running a utility knife around the filter - break the paint bond - seems to help. I've never had to use anything more than the standard "band wrench" to remove a filter.

/ Filter wrenches. #45  
I have about five of those band-style in a set from 2-5". They are great, IF YOU HAVE ROOM ON THE SIDE. I use a strap wrench when there isn't. I also have a number of the socket style in steel, but you have to bring an arm full to find the right size. If it looks like there isn't side room, I go straight to the strap wrench. It's 1/2 drive and I usually take the breaker bar with it. That will crush tight filters too, but I've gotten them off. In all my years, I think I resorted to the screwdriver method maybe twice. And as I recall, they were both GMs.

/ Filter wrenches. #46  
The screwdriver method accomplishes 2 things. One, it drains the filter and two, it removes it. Don't matter how tight it is either, it's coming off.

/ Filter wrenches. #47  
I get them at auto parts store, but home depot also sells them

grs and halftrack, Thanks for that info next time I'm at home depot I'll get one. I've never looked for one before, now I know where to do so.

/ Filter wrenches. #48  
When I did mine, I used a strap wrench but the first time it was on there extremely tight from the factory.

I worked at a main tractor dealer. Yes you are correct. Some were extremely tight from the factory. They were tough.

/ Filter wrenches. #49  
The screwdriver method accomplishes 2 things. One, it drains the filter and two, it removes it. Don't matter how tight it is either, it's coming off.

And by drain the oil you mean make a giant mess? I assume this is a last resort method for you? I can't imagine doing this on every oil change. Also, what if it doesn't work? You've now deformed and ruined the integrity of the filter and none of the other methods will worth.

/ Filter wrenches. #50  
This filter on my CX2510 was a bastard. It's kind of tucked in to a corner. The socket style I had wasn't deep enough and kept slipping off. The 15 inch pliers I mentioned before ended up getting it off.

PXL_20230115_144619336.jpg