Fuel can modification

/ Fuel can modification #1  

Mysfyt

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3901
Have you ever had something annoy you to where you get obsessed with fixing it? That's pretty much what happened here. I love this fuel container for adding fuel to my tractor. Set it up on the hood and put the nozzle in and add fuel without spilling. Except pressing and holding the button down while the fuel gurgles in just got to me last time. So I came up with what I thought was a simple solution......adding a cam lever to hold the button down. Well, it morphed itself into drawing the cam up on cad, water jetting it out of nylon and cleaning it up on the sander, milling the thickness to specs, milling the aluminum side supports plus sanding and bead blasting, turning an insert down on the lathe and cutting two spacers. Sheesh! I got annoyed at myself trying to fix something to not annoy me. Well, the good news is it works and all my trouble was worth it in the end. Had a good laugh at my own expense!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 664
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    492.2 KB · Views: 761
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    474.9 KB · Views: 575
   / Fuel can modification #2  
Nice!! When are you gonna start selling those ??? :eek:

/ Fuel can modification #3  
Very ingenious. I use a funnel and unscrew the cap and set it aside. Much faster and easier then anything else I've come across. I have small funnels for my chainsaw and weed eater, bigger ones for my log splitter and Kawasaki Mule.

/ Fuel can modification #5  
I use a Jiggle Siphon

$_35.JPG

I set the can on the hood, stick the hose in and shake the hose a couple times and walk away while the fuel fills itself.

/ Fuel can modification #6  
Very ingenious. I use a funnel and unscrew the cap and set it aside. Much faster and easier then anything else I've come across. I have small funnels for my chainsaw and weed eater, bigger ones for my log splitter and Kawasaki Mule.

I can easily remember when just about everyone used a tractor funnel to fill their tractors. These modern tractors often don't have enough clearance for the large funnels to fit but if you do removing the spout would be a lot faster. I have thought about trying to find one of the old style funnels since these new fuel cans have come out.

/ Fuel can modification #7  
The liability involved with selling something like that would be huge, case in point why we have the stupid button to push down. I do like it. I use those cans for despising my bulk oil, and hate holding that button down.

/ Fuel can modification #8  
VP Race gas cans are the best I have found.

/ Fuel can modification #9  
I use a Jiggle Siphon

View attachment 444897

I set the can on the hood, stick the hose in and shake the hose a couple times and walk away while the fuel fills itself.

How long does the process take from the start (setting the can on the hood) to the finish of the 5 gallon delivery. And how far down does it siphon,? In otherwords how much is left in the can when the siphon stops? as for the jiggle siphon, does it actually fill the hose just by jiggling it up and down? Enquiring minds want to know:D

/ Fuel can modification #10  
I can easily remember when just about everyone used a tractor funnel to fill their tractors.

Do you mean those big galv. funnel's that your could "hit" with an open top 5 gal. can without spilling a drop and had various thread combinations on the end that fit the tank on many tractors.
The original no spill pre-EPA method……… that actually worked!:laughing: