Garage floor

/ Garage floor #1  

copytmpmzl

Bronze Member
Tractor
ford raptor
I need some advice, please.

I am having a shiny new garage built with nice new concrete base. I want a floor coating to protect it that offers the following...

1. Hard wearing.
2. Non slip.
3. Able to move an Abba stand around unhindered
4. Long lasting
5. Fluid proof (petrol/oil etc.).

I have looked at rubber matting, garage floor tiles and many other solutions, but they all seem to have drawbacks from what I can see. For instance, rubber matting will likely cause problems with the Abba stand when the caster wheels sink into it and becomes stuck (the wheels are too small really)

The most promising looks to be 2 pack epoxy coating with a non slip additive. It seems to meet all of my criteria. Does anyone have any experience or opinions on this?

/ Garage floor
I need some advice, please.

I am having a shiny new garage built with nice new concrete base. I want a floor coating to protect it that offers the following...

1. Hard wearing.
2. Non slip.
3. Able to move an Abba stand around unhindered
4. Long lasting
5. Fluid proof (petrol/oil etc.).

I have looked at rubber matting, garage floor tiles and many other solutions, but they all seem to have drawbacks from what I can see. For instance, rubber matting will likely cause problems with the Abba stand when the caster wheels sink into it and becomes stuck (the wheels are too small really)
polished concrete Arizona
The most promising looks to be 2 pack epoxy coating with a non slip additive. It seems to meet all of my criteria. Does anyone have any experience or opinions on this?
thanks in advance for any help

/ Garage floor #3  
Epoxy is your best bet. If you can swing it, consider glass fiber embedded epoxy; it will help eliminate any cracks. (You pour one layer of epoxy, and then while it is wet unroll the glass fiber, and then top coat it.)

Since you are pouring concrete, don't forget to put a layer of vapor barrier down, and if you are in an area that gets either lots of temperature changes or just cold, a layer of insulation. If there are any reason to think that the subsoil is damp, or wet, or will get damp/wet, make sure that you have good drainage.

There is a drying time for concrete before it is dry enough for epoxy. I wouldn't push it.

If it were me, I would consider upgrading the casters on the Abba stand to something wider, and urethane covered to not scuff the epoxy. I suspect that those Abba casters are going to be hard on any surface that isn't steel plate. (No experience with Abba, just experience with similar casters for other items.) e.g.
https://www.amazon.com/Swivel-Casters-Locking-Polyurethane-Duty-550/dp/B07VKSFYZG

All the best,

Peter

/ Garage floor #4  
A bit off topic, but if I ever have another slab poured I'll have the PEX tubing put in so that if you ever want radiant heat, it's there.
Just a thought.

/ Garage floor #5  
You know your from cold areas when you want heat in a concrete slab,
but dang it sure is nice when down on a creeper or a sheet of cardboard when the floor is warm.
I'll definitly agree it is nice for working on with the heat being low were you are working.

/ Garage floor #6  
I agree with all the comments above...

Epoxy would be my first choice (well would be my only choice)... & as mentioned, make sure you wait for the concrete to cure & follow all the instructions. Having worked with a few different epoxy & polyurea topcoats, I will say do your research, as they are not all equal...

Also, if in a cold climate I would look at installing pex in the floor

/ Garage floor #7  
When I built my automotive shop I had a friend (pro painter) do the floor in a medium grey color. Same specs needed. All was met but the non slip additive. Maybe wasnt a thing then. Really didnt have any slippage problem unless it was wet. even then not a issue.
Cant remember the name though. It was a 2 part paint and he wore a mask. All I remember was the brand name started with a Z (Zoline?)

Was a great paint and really impressed how it held up. Recoated after several years of use and covered well in 1 coat.

Held up to all automotive fluids including brake fluid. Kept a mop and bucket near by for cleanup.

/ Garage floor #8  
Mama Mia, that is a tough question. Does Your Mother Know you want it to be Good As New? I hear your SOS, No Doubt About It, but Knowing Me, Knowing You, the list of replies will go On and On and On.

You may want to check with Fernando. The solution will all be about The Little Things, but will definitely cost Money, Money, Money.

Once your abba floor is done, Put On A White Sombrero, hire a Rock N Roll Band and Dance. Don't let this be your Waterloo, but if you've read this far, you're a Super Trouper. Choose wisely and remember, The Winner Takes It All.

If you get a good answer, I'm going to need some too. Maybe, we could get Two For The Price Of One.

/ Garage floor #9  
Last edited:
   / Garage floor #10  
I used the Rustoleum product also, not great results. Prep is the key. My problem was I painted the floor with cheap floor paint, then I power washed that stuff off sort of, then put the Rustoleum down a few years later. If I were to do it again I’d go with the very high end stuff they use in aircraft hangers. My garage is 28’ x 30’ and the material to do it would be around $1000.

My problem was I wanted to move into my garage right away and use it and wasn’t patient. The picture is mine, about 20 years old Rustoleum floor paint, the paint that is missing is where tire tracks are from a car,
A5DAB87C-9505-4B52-AB99-2CD1A23BD4D5.jpeg