GC 1710 PTO Operation

/ GC 1710 PTO Operation #11  
I wasn't referring to the high/low range lever discussuion. I was referring to the part of the discussion about starting the tractor with PTO engaged.

/ GC 1710 PTO Operation
Thanks for the thoughts and observations offered on the 1710 PTO operation. I believe I have observed and tried the suggestions. The curious fact is that I can engage the rear PTO without an issue, the mid PTO will engage with no load (in correct sequence and I can rotate the mower gear box by hand) but the connected mower refuses to allow the mid PTO to engage, with the grinding similar to an old non-synchronized gearbox at high RPMs. In looking at various photos of the mid PTO lever engaged, my mid PTO lever moves about half of the slot or travel distance but I checked the lower lever and found it solidly moves the gear pivot one detent. In the service manual nor the operating manual I have not been able to determine if that is the complete and correct movement. Admittedly, I have had to pull twigs and other debris out of this area when I worked the woodlot. Thanks again for the suggestions!

/ GC 1710 PTO Operation #13  
I have had this "interlock" issue on my GC1720 a couple times. For starters, make sure that your mid-PTO shaft is fully seated and the balls have locked into the groove. 2nd: Put both rear and mid- PTO levers in Neutral with PTO engagement disengaged. 3rd: Move the 540 PTO lever to engaged and back out. 4th: move the mid-PTO engaged and back out. 5th: move the PTO engagement lever to engaged (while both PTOs remain in neutral) and count to 5 and return to disengaged. 6th: set RPMs to 1500, move your mid-PTO to engaged, and in a smooth motion slide the PTO engagement straight through the half-point detent to full engagement.

/ GC 1710 PTO Operation
Coldsteelva, I followed the steps you outlined hoping to solve the mystery, but with no luck. Still unable to engage the mid PTO. I guess I will have to locate a MF dealer who will have a conversation with me to determine if I have to haul the tractor to their shop. Thanks for taking the time to help.

/ GC 1710 PTO Operation #15  
71XX  3-22.jpg

17xx 3-23.jpg

17xx 3-24.jpg

Attachments

• 71XX  3-22.jpg
    71XX 3-22.jpg
    668.3 KB · Views: 57
   / GC 1710 PTO Operation #16  
In looking at various photos of the mid PTO lever engaged, my mid PTO lever moves about half of the slot or travel distance but I checked the lower lever and found it solidly moves the gear pivot one detent. In the service manual nor the operating manual I have not been able to determine if that is the complete and correct movement.
this...sort of bugs me.
on my 2010 GC2400 the throw on the 2k pro lever is almost exactly 3" and takes up almost exactly 3/4 of the fender well slot. that 3" of lever travel prob the most important data there.
I just ran down to neighbor with 2021 GC1725M TLB.
same thing.
I then ran down to OTHER neighbor (yeah...I got a GC and suddenly others around me bought them...) with a 2021 GC1723 (no backhoe) and same thing.
the 2015 GC1710 TLB I got few hundred hours on NEVER used the 2k pro BUT at each service I made sure it worked. guess what....same thing.

heres a test you can do.
engine OFF. very important. really...VERY important. your family will thank you for keeping that in mind.
engage 2k lever and actual pto clutch. 2k shaft should not turn by hand then. it MAY turn a few degrees by hand before it locks in. this is normal.
at that point wrap shaft with rag (1 layer thick) to prevent spline damage, put pipe wrench on it, if you can force a rotate damage is internal.
if you CAN'T force a rotate...damage is mower end of it.
and mower end of it (including the gearbox) is something you want to see.

/ GC 1710 PTO Operation #17  
also the MF2326 (and to best of my knowledge the 2325) MMM do NOT have any shear pins, I suspect they depend on belt slippage if needed.
however they DO have roll pin where mower end of pro shaft hooks to mower gearbox.

2326_roll_pin.jpg

at this point I THINK you have mower issue, and that is a good thing.
if that roll pin is messed up and shaft spun yeah....you gotta buy parts. but at least tractor still works.
also examine the whole pto shaft and u-joints. the shaft IS keyed on this, there is one slot wider that rest so sliding the 2 halves together can sometimes piss you off. on mine the male end (stays on mower) has a white paint mark on the key slot and just have to look at female end (tractor end) to find the wider slot before sliding together. on the gorund off tractor easy....when under tractor....lets just say you'll learn to not pull the 2 halves apart when its under tractor LOL.
really I would pull gearcase cover on mower and look for metal or gear chunks.

/ GC 1710 PTO Operation
I carefully went through the op manual steps again with the same results. Dave M, I will conduct your test tomorrow if possible. I should note that I can turn the mower and drive shaft (not connected to PTO) by hand with what I believe is the typical resistance from the gearbox and belts and with no evidence of roll pin problem. Referring to the control handle travel, I have not been able to ignore a suspicion I have regarding the linkage of the mid PTO gear shift. I have attached the PTO linkage drawing and circled the linkage (9) which I noted earlier shows evidence of bending resulting from attack from some limbs. I have pushed it back visually straight, but I have been unable to determine if it actuates circled lever (!) correctly. The lever now moves with a detent from about 9:00 to 10:00 position when the midPTO lever is pulled up. Any observations as to this being the correct travel of lever (1). Thanks to all again for the continued assistance!
PTO-Mid.jpg

Attachments

• PTO-Mid.jpg
    PTO-Mid.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 55
   / GC 1710 PTO Operation #19  
I have not gone under to video actual movement but will try to tomorrow.
I do know it's not much due to mechanical advantage of lever
On mobile right now so can't really examine diagrams. Can say this in gc2400 approx 4 inches from end where both lever tie into under tractor there is rod that runs down to lower end
When moving the handle 3 inches that rod lifts up 1.5 inches and it rotates a lower link up and down approx 1 inch.
More travel on handle gives mechanical advantage
Thing is if that rod got bent it would require LESS lever movement to fully engage

Last edited:
   / GC 1710 PTO Operation
So as to put a bow on this discussion, I have satisfied myself that I have performed the evaluation of the correct sequence of engaging and testing the mower and driveline with the same resulting grinding of the mid PTO. All other functions of the tractor appear to work correctly and I removed the mower and mounted my rear mounted PTO chipper. Unfortunately, it indicates an internal problem in that although the rear PTO engages correctly ands runs the chipper, I decided to try to engage both the rear and the mid PTOs--- grinds/refuses to engage!! For the time being I'm moving on to other projects and until I can get it to the dealer. Thanks again for you help in suggesting diagnoses and possible solutions.