GC Engine Oil Question

/ GC Engine Oil Question
Well ask a question, get an education. Love it!

I went back to the manual, and after three lines of 10w-30 another line says 15-40 is also good. Duh!

Off to get some proper oil.

/ GC Engine Oil Question #12  
Well ask a question, get an education. Love it!

I went back to the manual, and after three lines of 10w-30 another line says 15-40 is also good. Duh!

Off to get some proper oil.
Don't use 15W40 if you're using it in winter. the 5W40 will protect the engine much better on cold startups.

/ GC Engine Oil Question
Manual says 15-40 is good down to -10C which is fine for where I live. I might get one night a year below that. If that happens, I'll plug it in.

/ GC Engine Oil Question #14  
As stated use a diesel oil.

Diesels produce higher levels of acids in the crankcase.

Diesel oil is designed to better deal with that.

Unless your engine is designed to use a breaking oil, (rare today, and that would be specified in the owners manual), there is no reason to wait to switch to synthetic, any oil manufacturer will tell you that, and guarantee it.

The mindset that you have to wait, is based on 1980's thinking. It is a persistent myth, that has been debunked a million times.

/ GC Engine Oil Question #15  
I would think any oil that meets or exceeds API service CC would be acceptable.. The "C[x-x]" category of API is a oil recommenced for diesels engines...

From my Owners Manual..

engine oiul.jpg

Last edited:
   / GC Engine Oil Question #16  
Rotella t6 15w40 goes in mine.

/ GC Engine Oil Question #17  
I would think any oil that meets or exceeds API service CC would be acceptable.. The "C[x-x]" category of IPA is a oil recommenced for diesels engines...

From my Owners Manual..

View attachment 708666
Identical to my GC2300 manual printed 20 years ago. Oils have changed/improved in the last 2 decades. 0W40 and 5W40 were fringe oils at that time with limited availability. Now they are quite common for regular use.

Attachments

• GC oil.jpg
    GC oil.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 72
   / GC Engine Oil Question #18  
Don't use 15W40 if you're using it in winter. the 5W40 will protect the engine much better on cold startups.
Amen. 5w30 or 0w30 even better.

According to your manual, it will be good for 78 degrees and above. 0w is good for down to -40 F/C.

Thing about 0wxx oils is that they will be "caught" and pumped by the oil pump virtually instantly at almost any temperature. I once had a VW Cabrio with hydraulic valve lifters, which would drain down a little on shutdown. They would pound until they were refilled. Only a 0w30 refilled them virtually instantaneously such that there was NO pounding. Didn't have much 0w or 5w20 at that time; else, I'd have switched to 0w20 like I use in all 3 gasoline engines now.

15w40, to me, aside from using plain 30w or 40w is about the worst oil you could be using. Cranking speeds in cold weather will be markedly slower, and top end will be starving for oil for a few seconds at every startup, even in summer.

Last edited:
   / GC Engine Oil Question #19  
The 5W and 0w oils are intended to improve fuel economy.

If you care about a tenth or two in MPG, or perhaps live where it hits -40F, these oils are ideal.

For most people, in a tractor made to use straight 30W oil, it's not a big deal.

/ GC Engine Oil Question #20  
I stick with CASE brand oil for 10 years now.