GC Engine Oil Question

/ GC Engine Oil Question #21  
Just get the Rotella T6 from Walmart and be done with it. There's even a rebate on Shells website. Under $15 all in. Consider 5w40

/ GC Engine Oil Question
Back when I had my 5.9 Cummins, it was Rotella 15W-40 all the way. How we can go from that to "15W-40 is the worst oil you can use [in a diesel??]" is beyond me. Everyone has their opinion, and some lighter synthetic is likely a more engineered oil, but I've never chased the bleeding edge in anything, no need to start now. Cliffy sounds very happy with the 15w-40.

/ GC Engine Oil Question #23  
It's whatever you are comfortable with. Most of my hours are blowing snow. No power to the tractor shed for a block heater or battery tender. 0W40 was the easiest to crank in freezing weather, and best IMO for running a 3pt chipper for hours at a time while stationary. Oil chosen for these conditions. Wanted a low pour point with a resistance to high ambient temperatures.

/ GC Engine Oil Question #24  
I work the heck out of my GC1720, maxed out snowblowing and heavy loader and digging work. I’ve been using Lubrication Engineers 10W30 Ultra oil. It runs about $25 per gallon which I consider reasonable. Sure Walmart oil may work just as good, who knows, but I’m happy with what I’m using.

/ GC Engine Oil Question #25  
I work the heck out of my GC1720, maxed out snowblowing and heavy loader and digging work. I’ve been using Lubrication Engineers 10W30 Ultra oil. It runs about $25 per gallon which I consider reasonable. Sure Walmart oil may work just as good, who knows, but I’m happy with what I’m using.
It's kind of funny. My first oil change was with Esso XD3 0W40 full synthetic about 2007, it was only available in Canada, at Walmart amongst other places. Priced in line with dino oils. AFAIK they changed the name to Mobil Delvac for North American distribution, using that since.

/ GC Engine Oil Question #26  
So I went to local stealer/dealer today to buy filter and engine oil because I was in a hurry and I am way overdue for first 50 hour change. Let me mention that the yard was full of tractors on average probably 30 years old, and none less than 10 years, it seems to be more of a tractor repair than dealer but they are an official MF dealer. I bought out of state near my wife's other house, the tractor goes to both properties, and when he finally called me during my search (after the 3rd message) he said he couldn't get a 1723 so I went to the 3rd closest dealer who had one in stock. Anyway, I like to support local so I plan (or did plan) to take it there for a few services due to warranty. I figured if I bought the oil and filter from him, he'd be easier to work with on service and warranty issues. I tell his counter person I have a 1723E and need filter and oil, out comes 2 gallons of Rotella 15X40. I said "2 gallons? The manual says it takes 2.8 quarts." She says "My boss says to always pull 2 gallons." I pushed back and said the manual says 2.7 quarts, that's a lot different from 2 gallons." She goes to the service area to talk with someone who I think is the boss. She returns and says "He said you should be OK with 1 gallon. He always has me charge 2 gallons" as she pulls one off the counter. So...I am thinking 1) this sounds shady to always charge 2 gallons and 2) 15W40 isn't really the best heading into cooler weather even though in SC it rarely gets below 35 for low temps and it won't be 90 degrees for several months again.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
   / GC Engine Oil Question #27  
Are you talking engine oil or hydraulic oil?

/ GC Engine Oil Question #29  
Yeah there's some misunderstanding there between the parts girl, you, and service dept. 3qts for engine is what you need. I am in a cold climate and found rotella T6 5w20 the best so far. 15w was too thick in winter, other oils I had to keep topping off, rotella not much top off needed. I'm probably sticking with that

/ GC Engine Oil Question #30  
So dudes, you convinced me to switch over to 5w40 for this oil change coming up. So educate this here dummy, what's the downside to 5w40 rotella in summertime, none right? And any issue mixing it with 15w40 I have left over, come next oil change in spring/summer?

Also right quick, are you all changing your coolant every year regardless of hrs put on it? I put in the hd extended life stuff last fall.