Getting hay started this week

/ Getting hay started this week #11  
The weather was great last week here in Maryland, we had 7 days of dry, sunny, low humidity weather. I was able to bale about 10 acres and got 37 bales. Should have cut the rest, but with my luck, the weather would have changed and only had a day of dry weather. :)

I need to get a hay tedder. I usually try to rake it twice if it does seem to be drying well. I just make hay for our 4 horses and a few sheep and it might not be worth the cost.

i also need to clean my windows. :)

20210521_154855.jpg

20210521_154823.jpg
20210521_142952.jpg

/ Getting hay started this week #12  
My hay supplier is going up from $7.50 to $8.00 a bale for horse hay. Since we are down to 2 horses we only get 200 bales a year, so an extra $100. He said his fertilizer cost increased 4X what it was last year plus diesel has gone up. He has not increased the price in the last few years so I am not complaining.

/ Getting hay started this week
My hay supplier is going up from $7.50 to $8.00 a bale for horse hay. Since we are down to 2 horses we only get 200 bales a year, so an extra $100. He said his fertilizer cost increased 4X what it was last year plus diesel has gone up. He has not increased the price in the last few years so I am not complaining.
That’s good of you.
We don’t make much on hay. Trust me.

/ Getting hay started this week #14  
I’m cutting this weekend here in SW Oregon. We’ve had a pretty bad drought, so hay fields are thin. I am excited to try my new Kuhn rotary rake though.

/ Getting hay started this week #15  
So.......you have begun your annual lawn mowing duties?

I’m cutting this weekend here in SW Oregon. We’ve had a pretty bad drought, so hay fields are thin. I am excited to try my new Kuhn rotary rake though.
We had a 17 day drought, just when we needed rain.🙃
Now we have heavy rain, just when we need it to be dry. :rolleyes:

So how has the hay weather been in your area? We have had below normal temps and soaking rains, sometimes 2-3” at a pop.
Cant make any nice hay. Cut right after rain and wishing 3 days the next batch of rain arrives.

Last edited:
   / Getting hay started this week #19  
Yup
”just some guy who mows lawns”
Thats me
View attachment 700545
while visiting grandma in central Florida in the 90s I heard the neighbors lawn mower just running and running with zero change in noise or rpm etc etc etc. Like 10-20 minutes?

I walked around to his back yard and that's exactly how i found him.

Poor old guy dropped dead cutting his little lawn. And I had to tell granny, his wife and call the cops.

/ Getting hay started this week #20  
Zero hay production for unirrigated fields in NE Wyoming this year. No snow this winter and no spring rains. Expected temperature today: 106 F.