Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look?

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #101  
If you tell 200 people about your place, you'll likely have some thieves make a visit if there's anything of value there.
cop told me, the farther off the road you are the less likely you will have visitors. i'm 2600 ft off the road.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #102  
cop told me, the farther off the road you are the less likely you will have visitors. i'm 2600 ft off the road.
1 - THAT is the kind of place I would love to have.

2 - I thought my kids had it bad walking 100 yards or so to the road for the bus.

3 - Be glad you're in Carthage NC and not Calais Vermont with that kind of road during winter LOL

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #103  
3 - Be glad you're in Carthage NC and not Calais Vermont with that kind of road during winter LOL
Yeah, having to maintain a half mile private road would be a handful to say the least. I have a neighbor who has a driveway almost that long...he kind of gave up maintaining it after 10 years or so, now just parks at the bottom of the hill and uses a snowmobile or ATV to get to the house. A 4WD truck or Jeep could probably get up there, but I don't think he has one. Most of the vehicles marketed as "SUVs" today probably wouldn't.
I hope his insurance is paid up, there's no way a fire truck (or any other emergency vehicle) could get up there.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #104  
Yeah, having to maintain a half mile private road would be a handful to say the least. I have a neighbor who has a driveway almost that long...he kind of gave up maintaining it after 10 years or so, now just parks at the bottom of the hill and uses a snowmobile or ATV to get to the house. A 4WD truck or Jeep could probably get up there, but I don't think he has one. Most of the vehicles marketed as "SUVs" today probably wouldn't.
I hope his insurance is paid up, there's no way a fire truck (or any other emergency vehicle) could get up there.
That is just crazy in my thoughts, as the older we get, the more likely we are going to need an ambulance to come up to the house to get us! Even if I didn't maintain it as far as making ditches and controlling water run-off, I would still make it flat enough to drive on. I guess that is easy to say here in Florida where things move a little easier and not at so much of an angle.
David from jax

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #105  
When I met my wife, we went up to Vermont to visit a good friend of her's, as well as a coworker and visit her company. This was about 19 years ago, and her friend and husband had been on their land for about 10 years by that time.

They did pretty much the exact same thing you talked about, which is why I made that comment in the first place about long drive ways in winter time. 10 years later, they sold the place as they couldn't keep up with it as they were getting older.

We visited in the summer, and it was still a pain in the butt to get up their driveway in my pick up truck. They just rode the snowmobile or ATV down to their "car parking lot" most of the time.

Being in NC, anytime I get a good amount of snow, I just use the truck to leave the house and get out of the driveway, as it doesn't get too bad down here.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #106  
That is just crazy in my thoughts, as the older we get, the more likely we are going to need an ambulance to come up to the house to get us!
Just finished up weed whacking at the road along the fence line.

10 years ago, I could do that fence line and still fill up the weed whacker and keep going for another 2 "fill ups" and restringing.

Today, after weed whacking that same fence line, I'm played out and don't feel like doing anything else. Only "work" I've done today.

That's the truth. I'm getting older...

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #107  
I’ve switched to a battery weedwacker recently. The battery runs out about the same time I do.:( Same with the electric pole saw, and it keeps me from getting too enthusiastic with the cutting and leaves a little energy for limb clean up.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #108  
Don't take this the wrong way OP but the impression I get from the words you wrote is:

This is an extremely difficult, high-maintenance client with way too much drama. The kind of client that a smart pro doesn't want to deal with no matter how big a sale because the headaches and complaining will never end and even if you do everything perfect they're still likely to sue you just because that's the kind of person they are. In the end, this is a client who will never be happy no matter what they end up with.

I'm sure you're nothing at all like that person of course, just that this is the impression I got. I don't hear land speculator either, I hear spoiled rich guy who will have a meltdown and demand to talk to the CEO of Porsche because his 911 got delivered with dark gray floor mats instead of charcoal.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #109  
Just finished up weed whacking at the road along the fence line.

10 years ago, I could do that fence line and still fill up the weed whacker and keep going for another 2 "fill ups" and restringing.

Today, after weed whacking that same fence line, I'm played out and don't feel like doing anything else. Only "work" I've done today.

That's the truth. I'm getting older...
beats the alternative