Good Gloves?

/ Good Gloves? #21  
North Star White Ox Glove w/ Elastic Band

These very heavy White Ox cotton gloves set the standard in the manual aspect of the logging industry in the PNW. I've been wearing them since the 70's. Got a pair in the shop, in each rig and on the bench by the door. The bestest.
An informed endorsement is also "the bested". Thanks!
The biggest issue I have with cheap leather is fit. Often times I wonder if there really are people with thumbs and pinkies longer than their index fingers :confused: Fit's not as big an issue when processing firewood as it is wrenching on equipment though. I try to keep one pair of higher priced gloves for "Sunday only" use. Invariably though they get trashed despite my intention to change into everyday gloves for hard on gloves tasks.
Tips of thumb and index finger onthe right hand, and thumb side seam of left index finger (always file through the thread and stitching unravels when sharpening saws) are my high fail areas.

/ Good Gloves?
From the website for Northstar gloves: "near leather hand safety for the price of canvas...."

They still have a place. But even the manufacturer acknowledges they don't protect your hands like leather.

/ Good Gloves? #23  
I've been pretty happy with the Wells Lamont 3pk leather gloves from Costco for ~$20.

wells-lamont-premium-leather-work-gloves-costco.jpg
--

/ Good Gloves? #24  
I got some of these work gloves last time I was ordering chain saw stuff: Heavy-Duty Premium Leather Work Gloves (Pair) | Leather Work Gloves | Gloves | www.baileysonline.com

I use them when chipping and handling wood. They have two layers on the palms. Not much feel but very durable. The Baileys' ones seem better made than the similar looking ones from Harbor Fright. When running a chain saw I use single layer leather gloves. Right now I have a set of nice $20 deerskin gloves I got at the local hardware store which are really nice but started splitting at a seam after 3 months. The HF leather gloves are ok, don't fit as well, and the first pair lasted all of a month before I ripped a hole in a finger. I'm trying some more before I give up on them.

/ Good Gloves? #25  
For working on jobs outdoors, I like mechanic type gloves. They tend to move more freely and allow me to "feel" what I'm doing better then any other type of glove that I've tried. The drawback to them is they are not all the great when it gets really cold. Fortunately , we usually warm up into the 50's most days in the winter.

For really cold situations, especially when out hunting and not moving around, I like bit thick mittens. The ones where you can pull off the end of them to get your fingers out to shoot are my favorite.

/ Good Gloves? #27  
From the website for Northstar gloves: "near leather hand safety for the price of canvas...."

They still have a place. But even the manufacturer acknowledges they don't protect your hands like leather.

The cotton gloves work fine if you're logging. You have to remember, a logger does not handle much wood. Mostly chainsaws and wire rope of winch lines and choker chains. The cotton took away some of the vibration better than leather and wet cotton is more comfortable than wet leather. As a logger here in the N.E., we had mill days where we barely touched wood and firewood days where we went through gloves in no time no matter what they were made of. Cotton was simply less expensive to buy. Chainsaws didn't last a lick either. 2 yrs and they were done.

Home owner stuff is another story. I have a pair of Red Rider leather welding gloves I use to load the wood stove. Get 4 years out of them. Now what really saves gloves in wood handling is not the material they're made of so much but using log hooks as much as possible to reduce friction of grabbing and throwing.

/ Good Gloves? #29  
I use Atlas Fit and have for a few years now. They are cheap, last a good while, and offer very good grip.

/ Good Gloves? #30  
Leather work gloves do not last long with me when it’s hot and my hands sweat. I just buy a bunch of the HF Hardy gloves when they go on sale. I feel like I get as much wear with them as the Wells leather gloves I used to buy. Plus you can throw them in the clothes washer. I dry them on top of our clothes dryer so, they don’t try to shrink.

Mechanic's Gloves X-Large

If I need to pull green briar vines out of trees I keep some of the inexpensive HF welding gloves. Bought three pair and still on first pair after 4+ years.

3 Pair 14" Split Cowhide Welding Gloves

Last edited: