Good morning!!!!

/ Good morning!!!! #151,621  
Good Morning! 79˚F. They keep saying our highs will only be in the upper 90s but they lie. Yesterday was a 100˚ for the 9th day and windy with Sahara sand overcast sky - it wasn't pretty. I did get the yard mowed with a few breaks. The AC repairman is on our street a lot lately as two neighbors have had their units replaced and two have had theirs repaired.

My home insurance company tagged on an extra charge of $30. It covers any appliance and A/C repair/replacement over $500. I think I'll keep it active. My Kyle inspired extra A/C parts will be here tomorrow, both parts total $100.

One toilet is hesitant about filling up so that will be today's project.

Trail clearing continues without me, I'll jump back in when the temps settled down. The new pump should be installed in the gardens today.
Gasoline continues to rise, up another 10¢.

If anyone likes crunchy thick corn flakes cereal I found the perfect one made by Nature's Path.

/ Good morning!!!! #151,622  
Popgadget, have a home made conch fritter for all of us. Fair winds

Won’t have time for the fritter, we’ll be there just long enough to get fuel and passengers. As many times as I’ve been there, I’ve never been off the airport!

/ Good morning!!!! #151,623  
Hearing lots about how hot it is in Texas!
It is. Make sure you warn any people from California that plan to move to Texas. Over the last 9 days we have broken or tied the high temp records 8 of the days. It must really be bad in some states that the large companies will overlook the heat to move to Texas. I see where Caterpillar is moving here from Illinois.

No rolling black outs around here. However whenever there is an electrical outage from a cut line accident some people immediately blame the governor for not protecting the "Grid", but those people end up getting embarrassed and retracting their political rant.

Last edited:
   / Good morning!!!! #151,624  
67 outside this AM, heading to 90.

Nice and wet outside. The grass is winning.

Hope all have a good day, and be safe in what you are doing.

/ Good morning!!!! #151,625  
It is. Make sure you warn any people from California that plan to move to Texas. Over the last 9 days we have broken or tied the high temps 8 of the days. It must really be bad in some states that the large companies will overlook the heat to move to Texas. I see where Caterpillar is moving here from Illinois.

No rolling black outs around here. However whenever there is an electrical outage from a cut line accident some people immediately blame the governor for not protecting the "Grid", but those people end up getting embarrassed and retracting their political rant.
I think some iconic businesses have decided it’s in their best interest to relocate… and Texas keeps reeling them in.

/ Good morning!!!! #151,627  
Good Morning!!!! 70F @ 4:30AM. Sunny. High 98F. Winds S at 10 to 15 mph.

Spent most of yesterday cutting a couple mouse holes in the ends of that piece of railroad track, then restacking the ones already on the top of the box blade. The track was way too heavy to slide out of the truck bed, and just ended up sticking the forks in there and prying it up far enough to get a couple of ratchet straps under it. Very carefully, very slowly, and didn't end up scratching or breaking anything.

Tried to cut the holes with the oxy-acetylene torch, but just couldn't get enough heat into it. Got out the plasma torch, and immediately fried the copper cup that was on it. Put another one on, but in the process lost a little part up inside, and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working anymore. Broke out the manual and parts diagram, and even found a replacement for a little part that I'd somehow managed to lose. Made a mess getting a hole punched through, and had to work from both sides as the web of the track was about an inch thick and the plasma was only good for five eighths. Even then I had to weave the torch back and forth and advance slowly to get all of the way through. Not an example of my best work, but the holes are plenty big enough for the all thread to get through, or even the hook on the end of a chain in case I want to use the track as a drag.
railroadPlugs.jpg

Used a pry bar to lever the track pieces up and off of the box blade so I could put the new, bigger piece at the bottom of the stack. Then pulled the pieces of all thread out of their holes and straightened them on the press, as they'd become bent. Then came the fun of slipping the pieces of track back over the all thread, working very slowly to get the holes aligned over the all thread and then slip the forks out from under the track. A real forklift with a side shift would have been the right tool for the job. Maybe some day.
railroadTrackStack.jpg

I'm just happy to get through it with no pinched fingers, mashed toes, or singed clothes.

UPS dropped off the hoses for the side shift flail, so I'll make a run into town to get some 90° elbows for the Pioneer fittings on the end. Without them it's a real PITA trying to get the quick connects to let go of the hose. Not sure what else is on the agenda for today, but I'm sure I'll figure out something.

Hump Day already, again...

/ Good morning!!!! #151,628  
Is anyone mowing less with their tractors now that the fuel cost have doubled?
How would that work, Don? Do you let the grass get twice as long so you only have to cut it half as often?

I was hoping to get another cut done on the meadow here, as I let it go too long the first time and it came out looking like a very bad haircut. But now the grass is too dry and I don't want to be the next guy to start a fire trying to cut it.