Got a tractor hauler (finally)

/ Got a tractor hauler (finally) #1  

flusher

Tractor
Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.
My problem: transport my restored parade tractors (Farmall Cub, Farmall Super A, Minneapolis Moline BF, Massey Ferguson 135, and counting) to tractor club outings (parades, picnics, tractor meets, etc). Max tractor weight is about 4000 lb.

After agonizing over 3/4T vs 1T pickups, Ford/GMC/Dodge, gas vs diesel, gooseneck vs tag along trailers, low-boy vs deckover dual axle trailers, I decided to go with this setup:

NPR front-1.jpgNPR side view.jpgNPR-1.jpgNPR-2.jpg

It's a 2004 Isuzu NPR EFI stakebed (8ft wide x 14 ft long bed) with 49500 miles showing. It has the 6.0L (366 cu in) GMC gas engine (LQ4) the 4L80 4-speed automatic tranny and 4.78 rear end. This baby easily hits 75 mph (unloaded) but is a gas hog (10-12 mpg). No problem since I only need it on weekends to haul tractors (less than 3000 miles per year).

Next steps:
a) Get D-rings welded to the bed for chain attachments
b) Get an electric winch with wireless remote installed (I'm looking at the T-Max EW-9000W)
c) Get two sets of aluminum ramps. Discount ramps has car hauling ramps rated at 5000 lb per axle (10 ft long, 16" wide #05-16-120-01). I'll pair these up to make 32" wide ramps for the tractors I have now which are non-tricycle types. If I get a tricycle type tractor in the future, I'll have enough ramps to handle that configuration.
d) An underbody tool box (I'm looking at an aluminum 36x18x18 box by Highway Products).

Boy o boy, this is fun!!!!!!

/ Got a tractor hauler (finally) #2  
Nice truck. All the landscapers are going with these to haul supplies and the mowers around here. Very maneuverable and cost effective.

Chris

/ Got a tractor hauler (finally) #3  
Neat truck.

What is max GVW of that truck?

You wouldn't get much better mileage with 6.0L 4.10 geared truck. I had a 3/4 Ton suburban with 6.0L/4L80e 3.73 Gears and the best it ever got was 14.5 on the highway. Typically mileage was around 12.

I imagine the first trip up the ramps will be interesting, you can always add a winch if too much pucker factor.

/ Got a tractor hauler (finally)
Neat truck.

What is max GVW of that truck?

You wouldn't get much better mileage with 6.0L 4.10 geared truck. I had a 3/4 Ton suburban with 6.0L/4L80e 3.73 Gears and the best it ever got was 14.5 on the highway. Typically mileage was around 12.

I imagine the first trip up the ramps will be interesting, you can always add a winch if too much pucker factor.

It's 12000 lb GWVR. I would have preferred 14,000 lb GVWR but I couldn't pass up the deal on this truck.

I haven't weighed it yet at the Petro scales--next week. My guess is about 7000 lb no load with 3/4 tank of gas.

The belt is chirping--could be the tensioner. I'll get to that problem when it stops raining around here.

The bed is about 37" high. I'm getting two pairs of 16" wide x 10ft long aluminum ramps so each wheel will be on a 32" wide doubled ramp. I plan to back the tractors onto the bed. And I'll be sure to get that winch installed before doing any tractor hauling.

/ Got a tractor hauler (finally) #6  
Backing on is the safest way to go. Many guys around here have them made into a dove tail to help with the angle. Its going to give you some pucker factor unless you and find a ditch to put the rear wheels of the truck into or at your place you could get a few loads of clay and make a earthen loading dock to back up to.

Chris

/ Got a tractor hauler (finally) #7  
The bed is about 37" high. I'm getting two pairs of 16" wide x 10ft long aluminum ramps so each wheel will be on a 32" wide doubled ramp. I plan to back the tractors onto the bed. And I'll be sure to get that winch installed before doing any tractor hauling.

If my Jethro math is right that's about a 17 deg. angle if your bed is parallel to the ground when loading. That doesn't seem too bad but, of course, i'm not the one on the tractor!:eek::)

/ Got a tractor hauler (finally) #8  
I know when I switched from my flatbed lowboy to my gooseneck there was quite a difference in feel of loading a tractor... even with the dovetail.. it sure seems like way up there!

I'm not real keen on aluminum ramps though...

soundguy

Backing on is the safest way to go. Many guys around here have them made into a dove tail to help with the angle. Its going to give you some pucker factor unless you and find a ditch to put the rear wheels of the truck into or at your place you could get a few loads of clay and make a earthen loading dock to back up to.

Chris

Good info. Thanks.

I notice that deckover GNs such as the PJs have 36" bed height, with 5-ft dovetails and 5-ft foldover ramps. And I visited Daves Tractor and measured the dovetail/ramp setup on his big 2-axle delivery deckover--same as the PJ and within an inch of the deck height on the NPR. Dave delivered my Mahindra 5525 on that trailer. He's a pro, of course, but backing that 5525 down the dovetail didn't look too scary.

DSCF0056 (Small).JPGDSCF0057 (Small).JPG

I considered taking the NPR to the weld shop and having a 5ft self-cleaning steel dovetail with 5-ft self-cleaning ramps installed by a certified welder (like the ones on Dave's trailer). I haven't gotten a bid yet, but I may do that. It'll add 500-600 lb to the truck weight and increase the length by 4.5 ft or so.
With only 12,000 GVWR I have be careful of overloading since the NPR has to go through the scales on I5.

One of the reasons I'm going with the stakebed is it's relatively short length (about 21 ft), making it nice and compact. I decided against a PU/trailer option because the trailer doubles the length of the configuration, because I don't like the hassle of hitching a large trailer, and because I suck at backing a trailer with a PU.

I know when I switched from my flatbed lowboy to my gooseneck there was quite a difference in feel of loading a tractor... even with the dovetail.. it sure seems like way up there!

I'm not real keen on aluminum ramps though...

soundguy

But, I guess, you've gotten use to your deckover GN by now:thumbsup:.

Aluminum ramps--what's the deal here? Have you had problems with them?