Got a tractor hauler (finally)

/ Got a tractor hauler (finally)
My thoughts were going up a set of ramps with 1950's brakes on a half running tractor. Sounds like your truck is lower at 37" than I would have imagined.

Correct. That NPR uses 16" rims to keep the bed low.

I'm restoring a 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF tractor down to the nut and bolt level

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...62478-mid-mount-milimeter-bf-restoration.html

and I spent a good deal of time relining the brakes and getting the linkage working correctly. My tractor club requires a brake inspection for insurance purposes before allowing one of these old babies to participate in club functions.

Of course, one of the reasons I got the NPR is to haul old tractors that I find on CL etc. back to my shop for restoration. As you say, these could be half running (or completely dead) and the brakes could be garbage. That's why I'll install that 9000 lb winch on the bed.

/ Got a tractor hauler (finally) #22  
i remember when the guy unloaded my jd-b trike.. he did it with 2 ramps and brass balls apparrently!

/ Got a tractor hauler (finally) #23  
i remember when the guy unloaded my jd-b trike.. he did it with 2 ramps and brass balls apparrently!

We load the old Ford 961 with 2 ramps but is on a low boy car hauler. I can not imagine doing that on a deckover.

Chris

/ Got a tractor hauler (finally) #24  
My fried is a landscaper. She has that same truck. Yes the MPG is awful, but it will hold lots in the bed. The bed seems high to me, like above my waist and im 6'2" i would say its like 4 ft off the ground. It drives ok, i really have not had much in it, just some lumber and tin. But seems like it could be a dog with 5K in the back.

/ Got a tractor hauler (finally) #25  
Are you plannning on towing as well as lodaing the bed? If not I would look at getting a detachable dovetail for it. similar to this. 2009 Isuzu NPR HD (4) Door -
another thought is on ramps that would be a good bit of weight behind the rear wheels. the isuzu's are pretty light up front. I know i have wheelied many trailers loading up the ramps. I would hate to be that high when the front end takes to the air.

/ Got a tractor hauler (finally) #26  
We load the old Ford 961 with 2 ramps but is on a low boy car hauler. I can not imagine doing that on a deckover.

Chris

not even a deck over.. it was a cut out BOX truck and homade ramps.. real tall, and short ramps that were steep.. as both rear wheels hit pavement, front trike wheels had about 8" left on the deck, and he spun them hard over and one wheel was catching the ramp to follow it dow as he did a backwards turn to the left with the rear, and front coming down the right ramp. drawbar had to be removed for clearance for that maneuver!!! too rich for my blood!.. guy said he'd never loaded them any other way and didn't own a 3rd ramp :) like I say.. they musta been brass...

/ Got a tractor hauler (finally) #27  
That will be a great tractor hauler. :thumbsup: I have loaded a LOT of machinery onto trailers before. The one time that I unloaded my neighbor's BX24 off a goose neck the ramps were 6 foot long and the deck was 3 feet off the ground. Kinda scary to back off of but i got it done, just put it in low and 4wd and went slow. I have loaded skid steers, multiple tractors, etc. In fact, when I went with my dad down to California to get the CT322, i drove it around the lot and put it on the trailer. They were so impressed that they gave me my own key for it. :D:thumbsup: I like backing on more since it rides better and is easier to unload. I attached a picture of me off loading the CT322. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 7-22-10 003.JPG
    7-22-10 003.JPG
    886.2 KB · Views: 187
   / Got a tractor hauler (finally) #28  
My problem: transport my restored parade tractors (Farmall Cub, Farmall Super A, Minneapolis Moline BF, Massey Ferguson 135, and counting) to tractor club outings (parades, picnics, tractor meets, etc). Max tractor weight is about 4000 lb.

After agonizing over 3/4T vs 1T pickups, Ford/GMC/Dodge, gas vs diesel, gooseneck vs tag along trailers, low-boy vs deckover dual axle trailers, I decided to go with this setup:

View attachment 190536View attachment 190537View attachment 190538View attachment 190539

It's a 2004 Isuzu NPR EFI stakebed (8ft wide x 14 ft long bed) with 49500 miles showing. It has the 6.0L (366 cu in) GMC gas engine (LQ4) the 4L80 4-speed automatic tranny and 4.78 rear end. This baby easily hits 75 mph (unloaded) but is a gas hog (10-12 mpg). No problem since I only need it on weekends to haul tractors (less than 3000 miles per year).

Next steps:
a) Get D-rings welded to the bed for chain attachments
b) Get an electric winch with wireless remote installed (I'm looking at the T-Max EW-9000W)
c) Get two sets of aluminum ramps. Discount ramps has car hauling ramps rated at 5000 lb per axle (10 ft long, 16" wide #05-16-120-01). I'll pair these up to make 32" wide ramps for the tractors I have now which are non-tricycle types. If I get a tricycle type tractor in the future, I'll have enough ramps to handle that configuration.
d) An underbody tool box (I'm looking at an aluminum 36x18x18 box by Highway Products).

Boy o boy, this is fun!!!!!!

Nice!!! :thumbsup: Be sure to post pictures when you load it the first time.

/ Got a tractor hauler (finally) #29  
That will be a great tractor hauler. :thumbsup: I have loaded a LOT of machinery onto trailers before. The one time that I unloaded my neighbor's BX24 off a goose neck the ramps were 6 foot long and the deck was 3 feet off the ground. Kinda scary to back off of but i got it done, just put it in low and 4wd and went slow. I have loaded skid steers, multiple tractors, etc. In fact, when I went with my dad down to California to get the CT322, i drove it around the lot and put it on the trailer. They were so impressed that they gave me my own key for it. :D:thumbsup: I like backing on more since it rides better and is easier to unload. I attached a picture of me off loading the CT322. :thumbsup:

Nice job! :thumbsup:

/ Got a tractor hauler (finally)
Are you plannning on towing as well as lodaing the bed? If not I would look at getting a detachable dovetail for it. similar to this. 2009 Isuzu NPR HD (4) Door -
another thought is on ramps that would be a good bit of weight behind the rear wheels. the isuzu's are pretty light up front. I know i have wheelied many trailers loading up the ramps. I would hate to be that high when the front end takes to the air.

I saw that dovetail before--looks like it's set up for landscape equipment. It probably would handle the weight of my Farmall Cub but I doubt it could handle a 4000 lb vehicle.

Your right about the weight behind the rear wheels. The aft end of the stakebed is about 6-ft from the rear axle. So I'll need a pair of jacks on the aft end of the bed to carry the weight while loading and unloading. Could use farm jacks, but I'll probably weld two foldable jacks that attach to the rear of the bed. As I said, this is a fun project.