Got a tractor hauler (finally)

/ Got a tractor hauler (finally)
Are you plannning on towing as well as lodaing the bed? If not I would look at getting a detachable dovetail for it. similar to this. 2009 Isuzu NPR HD (4) Door -
another thought is on ramps that would be a good bit of weight behind the rear wheels. the isuzu's are pretty light up front. I know i have wheelied many trailers loading up the ramps. I would hate to be that high when the front end takes to the air.

Towing?
Stakebeds like the one I have aren't really good towing vehicles since the bed extends pretty far aft of the rear axle (about 6 ft for my NPR). That overhang pretty much rules out a conventional GN. And a receiver hitch would be so far aft of the rear axle that tongue load would be pretty low, although I don't have the exact numbers. Suffice it to say that Isuzu doesn't specify a tow rating for this truck which I take to mean "don't use it for towing".

/ Got a tractor hauler (finally) #33  
Nice truck!

I wonder though: How much is a used roll off wrecker?

Seems like that would be the answer in as is condition.

Nice truck!

I wonder though: How much is a used roll off wrecker?

Seems like that would be the answer in as is condition.

I looked for rolloffs on eBay and locally. You're right--one of those would make a nice tractor hauler.
I found that rolloffs generally go on the used truck market with high mileage (way over 100K miles), are generally diesels (I prefer a gas engine) and the hydraulics is another system that needs maintenance and eventually repairs.

When I bought my 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF two years ago (now being restored), I had it hauled on a rollback. It wasn't running (no compression on 3 of 4 cylinders) so it had to be winched onto the rollback.

DSCF0054 (Small).JPGDSCF0051 (Small).JPG

/ Got a tractor hauler (finally) #36  
SG:Thanks for the info. Helpful as usual.

Here're the ramps I'm considering:

5,000lb Per Axle Truck Trailer Ramps From Discount Ramps.Com

There is a heavier-duty version also available from Discount Ramps.

Let me put in a plug for these ramps. I bought a set of alum ramps from these guys, and they are awesome. The angle iron ramps that came with my used trailer weighed a ton and must have been severely overloaded in the past as I could see fatigue cracks forming. They also flexed a fair amount. I got the 5' ramps (3rd line of the table at the bottom of the page on your link) as that is what the previous ramps were (loboy). These things are so light I can lift both of them together vs more struggle to lift the old ones individually. They have very little flex in them - much less than the old ones. I looked at getting the ramps beefed up or heavier ones built locally, but this route was cheaper, and in the end I am very much happier with them due to the weight.

/ Got a tractor hauler (finally) #37  
I found that rolloffs generally go on the used truck market with high mileage (way over 100K miles), are generally diesels

100K miles on a good diesel ain't anything... at that point you know you are out of break in and lemon issues :)

soundguy

100K miles on a good diesel ain't anything... at that point you know you are out of break in and lemon issues :)

soundguy

I hear you.
Like most diesel powered vehicles, the engines hang around a lot longer than other (expensive) parts. My concern was the expense of keeping the rollback hydraulics working and the cost of liability insurance for a truck like a rollback in a higher weight class.

BTW: I took that NPR through the scale at the Petro truck stop this afternoon----7140 lb unloaded with 3/4 tank of gas and myself. So with 12000 lb GVWR on that NPR, I have about 4800 lb of payload to play around with. Deduct about 250 lb for aluminum ramps, 500 lb for steel diamond plate decking (two 2'x14'x3/16" pieces) to spread the wheel loads on the pine decking and maybe 150 lb for an aluminum underdeck storage box (18"x18"x36") plus contents--leaving 3900lb for the tractor. So far I have a Farmall Cub (1900 lb), Farmall Super A (2400 lb), Minneapolis Moline BF (2900 lb) and an MF135 (3600 lb). Still looking for an Oliver 66 (3200 lb), Allis Chalmers B (2100 lb), JD 40 (2900 lb) and a Ford 961 (3300 lb).

/ Got a tractor hauler (finally) #39  
I hear you.
Like most diesel powered vehicles, the engines hang around a lot longer than other (expensive) parts. My concern was the expense of keeping the rollback hydraulics working and the cost of liability insurance for a truck like a rollback in a higher weight class.

).

oh i dunno.. keeping some modern hyds werkin can't be any harder than keeping the 50-60 yr old hyds on my antiques werking.. and werk well they do if I might add :)

insurance? are you comercial? if not.. I bet your insurance might not be as bad as you think.. my f450 wasn't but a few dollars more than my dodge half ton.. and it's heavy enough to have the tag limits like comercial plates where they renew in december and not on your birthday, can only be renewed for 1 year at a time.. etc.. etc..

at the gc I work for we have trucks with wet kits from 1980, plus heavy equipment from all over the 60's and 70's that are plumb loaded with hyds.. things like scraper pans and road graders. tons of lines and hoses all over them.. not one of our pans is newer than the 70's.. one from the 60's etc.. clean oil.. good maint.. and fix the seals when they leak, and replace hoses when they break... that's about the extent of it. rebuild pumps when worn.. etc...

soundguy

/ Got a tractor hauler (finally) #40  
Neat truck.

What is max GVW of that truck?

You wouldn't get much better mileage with 6.0L 4.10 geared truck. I had a 3/4 Ton suburban with 6.0L/4L80e 3.73 Gears and the best it ever got was 14.5 on the highway. Typically mileage was around 12.

I imagine the first trip up the ramps will be interesting, you can always add a winch if too much pucker factor.

I would say that is a good tip right there.