Grapple style preference

/ Grapple style preference #31  
for brush style 2
20201129_114832.jpg

/ Grapple style preference #32  
I'm also choice #3, Bolt on grapple to my bucket so I can deal with Dirt and Gravel. I don't have a SSQA bucket (if fact my bucket has never been off the FEL). I'm sure it could unbolt but I like having both a grapple and bucket.

Attachments

• P1080657.JPG
    P1080657.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 81
   / Grapple style preference #33  
I also make do with a grapple bucket.

grapple bell 005_1.JPG

/ Grapple style preference #34  
I'm trying to decide which style of grapple to get, #1 (root) or #2 (rake/clamshell). I've never used a grapple so I don't have any experience with either style. I've always thought the rake style (#2) would be better, especially for grabbing a big pile of brush. In what situation does each style work better than the other?

Thanks,
JarrettView attachment 713735View attachment 713736
Jarrett,

My personal preference is a version of #2, a Bradco 72" wide root rake on a M59. Wide enough to clean a path the full width of the machine of rocks, roots and brush. The upper and lower jaws open wider than any other available grapple so picking up very large trash piles, logs, root balls, rocks is possible because the tines can reach around very large diameter objects. The open jaw distance between upper and lower tines is greater than 4 feet. See page 2 of pdf for specs.

I never found type #1 to be very useful.

At the end of the day. Buy quality and you will have tool that doesn't let you down. Greese nipples and bushings on every rotating joint, steel shields between what you are picking up and the cylinders and hoses, and a beefy skid steer quick attach mounting plate.

Have fun working your grapple.

Attachments

• 20200623- M59+Grapple.jpg
    20200623- M59+Grapple.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 103
  • Bradco-root-rake-.jpg
    Bradco-root-rake-.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 94
  • 20200722- Siberian Elm size.jpg
    20200722- Siberian Elm size.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 97
  • B - Root Rake.pdf
    4.6 MB · Views: 63
   / Grapple style preference #35  
Jarrett,

My personal preference is a version of #2, a Bradco 72" wide root rake on a M59. Wide enough to clean a path the full width of the machine of rocks, roots and brush. The upper and lower jaws open wider than any other available grapple so picking up very large trash piles, logs, root balls, rocks is possible because the tines can reach around very large diameter objects. The open jaw distance between upper and lower tines is greater than 4 feet. See page 2 of pdf for specs.

I never found type #1 to be very useful.

At the end of the day. Buy quality and you will have tool that doesn't let you down. Greese nipples and bushings on every rotating joint, steel shields between what you are picking up and the cylinders and hoses, and a beefy skid steer quick attach mounting plate.

Have fun working your grapple.

While nice, and I agree with the 'hybrid' type grapple, that one would leave him with only ~200lbs of lift capacity left.

/ Grapple style preference #36  
I have the root rake #2 style which works fine for pushing out trees and shrubs but I wish I had #1 for moving wood and brush. #2 can't carry many logs.

/ Grapple style preference #37  
Primary reason I choose rock/root grapple. Bottom tines are much heavier. Won't crumple when dealing with large rocks and trees.

/ Grapple style preference #38  
I'm trying to decide which style of grapple to get, #1 (root) or #2 (rake/clamshell). I've never used a grapple so I don't have any experience with either style. I've always thought the rake style (#2) would be better, especially for grabbing a big pile of brush. In what situation does each style work better than the other?

Thanks,

Thanks,

Thanks,
I use a Rhino similar to design 2 on a JD 3046R. I move a LOT of brush, logs & limbs I chip. Probably my most used attachment.

/ Grapple style preference #39  
I like the adjustable forks on bottom for prying out rocks, lifting pallets, or logs. On top, I like a single or double arm. I went with a single-less expensive and tends not to get in the way on irregular objects. This log weighed well over a ton on the butt-ometer and the HLA single arm held it easily.

1632221101820.jpeg

/ Grapple style preference #40  
Whichever one you get you will find times the other would work better.

I have #1 and there are times I would like #2.

Either one will beat none and you will be glad you have it.

Type 1 will handle a pile of brush fine.
IMG_20210914_113606246.jpeg