Grapple style preference

/ Grapple style preference #71  
TX030 - I DO like the style you have pictured there. My Land Pride rock/root grapple weighs 820#. So ......... 500# wouldn't be that bad for me. Even with my HD grapple I still can pick 3000# - and move very carefully. I have log and rock weight charts - yes, you CAN find these animals on the internet - and will usually be at 2500# or less.

I NEVER lift a heavy load more the 6" off the ground. Knuckle dragging ..........

/ Grapple style preference #72  
I've got a 4' root rake grapple like type 1. the bottom of the tines are flat, the top surface of the tines are curved, single, two tine grapple on top (2'spacing.) My ASV RC 30 is 4' wide. I have used it 15 years, and paid 505 shipped from Millionzi, who now is out of business i guess.

It is not much fun as a true rootrake when you only engage one side or the other of a big root, puts a lot of side torque into machine. Sure, once you got the stump out, you can rake up the roots and "clear" the ground, but you've made a hole in the ground you're going to have to fill anyway....

The true root rake made to clear ground like style two, isn't going to be great as a landclearing tool of you don't have HP and torque, and machine weight.

By comparison, I can take down the 4-6 tree in clayey sand soils easier with less mess and with the standard bucket. I lean on the tree in a couple of directions to find the side roots near the surface and loosen them, and if I have to, use the bucket side edge to rip them up, then keep pushing and lifting at 1'-2' from the ground and up.

I have grappled piles of debris bigger than a Volkswagon Beetle, kind of like rolling a carpet up, move big rocks, concrete slab demo, used it to lift and play out 1000# bags of pebbles and rocks/sand. Another useful bit was setting 20' pilings into holes. Open jaws, walk up to piling on the ground, chain around the piling in a loop (2 places), then wind around rake and grapple, then try and close grapple. This tightens the chain and I can pick up and stand up the piling and take it to the hole and slide it right in. I had a high level of confidence and safety, but you'd have to have been there to see it. Easy rigging.

I like style one for rooting because i can get the teeth under it, and use the breakout force of curling the bucket to rip them up, rather than the machine trying to drive through the root and all the dirt too.

/ Grapple style preference #73  
None of the above for me. I never liked a grapple until I got my bucket grapple.

/ Grapple style preference #74  
I thought about getting the #1 but felt that with two cylinders and two lids there was twice as much chance to break or bend something on the grapple.

/ Grapple style preference #75  
What ever grapple(s) you choose do yourself a favor and improve your front guard first.
IMG_2017.JPG