Grease Gun Stuck to Zerks

/ Grease Gun Stuck to Zerks #31  
   / Grease Gun Stuck to Zerks #33  
I like your avatar. Are you from Czech Rep?

No, I'm born and raised in the U.S. Traveled quite a bit but never been to the Czech Republic.

Someday I'm certain to try though.

A society that would elevate the "Good Soldier Svejk" into iconic hero status must be pretty interesting. Admirable.

Nothing against "Dirty" Harry Callahan and John Rambo, I am a Yank after all;)

/ Grease Gun Stuck to Zerks #34  
No, I'm born and raised in the U.S. Traveled quite a bit but never been to the Czech Republic.

Someday I'm certain to try though.

A society that would elevate the "Good Soldier Svejk" into iconic hero status must be pretty interesting. Admirable.

Nothing against "Dirty" Harry Callahan and John Rambo, I am a Yank after all;)

So how did you come up with the avatar and screen name? Did you read the book? Is there English translation? If there is an English translation I need to get it for my wife.
I was born and raised in Czechoslovakia but immigrated to the USA 26 years ago. Yes. Svejk is a national icon. His personality describes the national attitude quite well. It served the nation well when it was dominated by Germans, Austrians and recently by Russians. Czech Republic is great country to visit.

/ Grease Gun Stuck to Zerks #35  
I use a pneumatic grease gun. I used to have the same problem...the GG tip getting stuck on the zerk despite adjustments. It pulled out some zerks and drove me crazy. Now I change out tips ($4.95 @ TSC) every year or so and have few problems.

/ Grease Gun Stuck to Zerks #36  
I have the same problem with mine. It got stuck so bad on loader I did not think it would ever come off. It pulled a fitting out the deck whell on the BX. I have to use a needle point adaptor.

/ Grease Gun Stuck to Zerks #37  
Speaking of plugged or gunked up grease fittings, could this be from incompatible greases? And speaking of greases, I have been wondering the best way to lube new to me (used) equipment with new style grease. I just pump the snot out of the fittings until I see only the new grease color coming out. Seems to be a waste but I have heard bad things about some grease mixtures.

/ Grease Gun Stuck to Zerks #38  
If you take the zerk coupler apart you will see there is a rubber piston that pushes on and closes the jaws around the zerk head. To release the zerk coupler you have to push on it axially to move the piston back and release the jaws. Then pull the coupler from the zerk. If the zerk is plugged or the pin is too tight (the coupler remains pressurized) it will take quite high force to push the piston back and release the jaws.

/ Grease Gun Stuck to Zerks #39  
So how did you come up with the avatar and screen name? Did you read the book? Is there English translation? If there is an English translation I need to get it for my wife.
I was born and raised in Czechoslovakia but immigrated to the USA 26 years ago. Yes. Svejk is a national icon. His personality describes the national attitude quite well. It served the nation well when it was dominated by Germans, Austrians and recently by Russians. Czech Republic is great country to visit.

****apologies for a little PM'ing here in the thread. Hope y'all don't mind.

You definitely need to get the book for your wife. I discovered it left behind on a bookshelf in a house I moved into twenty years ago and just thought "what the heck" and sat down to check out the first pages. I read right through dinner and into the night. There are two or three english translations. Go to the library and grab what they have. The first translation from the 30's is considered poor so skip it if you have a choice. Somewhere I read that a fourth translation is being done which is expected to be very very good.

You can read more on the book here....

The Good Soldier

The avatar is from Google image for "svejk". Illustrations from one of the editions. Svejkovat is just the verb (infinitive) "to Svejk", to act like Svejk or to do something he might do. Apparently it's slang that only a native speaker would understand. "Svejk" ends up being common enough that it's often taken when signing up for forums and emails so I looked the name up and discovered "Svejkovat".

I was in the USAF for six years. Can't describe exactly why I connected so well with the character Svejk. (ok, I'm 3/4 Polish... who am I kidding?) I was a model soldier with excellent reports and honorable discharge, but I admired his gift for somehow surviving absurdity, fanatical patriotism, and frequently pointless acts of war, without the least damage to himself or others, mentally or physically.

There have been paler comic versions of him more familiar to us, like Gomer Pyle, Sad Sack, Barney Fife, etc... but Svejk was a waaaay more interesting original. He's possibly an idiot savant (you're never sure).... the others are just idiots.

Thanks, you've inspired me to get a bit more serious about visiting that part of Europe. Love to spend some time motorcycling through the former eastern blocs.

Last edited:
   / Grease Gun Stuck to Zerks #40  
****apologies for a little PM'ing here in the thread. Hope y'all don't mind.

You definitely need to get the book for your wife. I discovered it left behind on a bookshelf in a house I moved into twenty years ago and just thought "what the heck" and sat down to check out the first pages. I read right through dinner and into the night. There are two or three english translations. Go to the library and grab what they have. The first translation from the 30's is considered poor so skip it if you have a choice. Somewhere I read that a fourth translation is being done which is expected to be very very good.

You can read more on the book here....

The Good Soldier

The avatar is from Google image for "svejk". Illustrations from one of the editions. Svejkovat is just the verb (infinitive) "to Svejk", to act like Svejk or to do something he might do. Apparently it's slang that only a native speaker would understand. "Svejk" ends up being common enough that it's often taken when signing up for forums and emails so I looked the name up and discovered "Svejkovat".

I was in the USAF for six years. Can't describe exactly why I connected so well with the character Svejk. I was a model soldier with excellent reports and honorable discharge, but I related to his gift for somehow surviving absurdity, fanatical patriotism, and frequently pointless acts of war, without the least damage to himself or others, mentally or physically.

There have been paler comic versions of him more familiar to us, like Gomer Pyle, Sad Sack, Barney Fife, etc... but Svejk was a waaaay more interesting original. He's possibly an idiot savant (you're never sure).... the others are just idiots.

Thanks, you've inspired me to get a bit more serious about visiting that part of Europe. Love to spend some time motorcycling through the former eastern blocs.

I am glad you liked the book. I will definitely get the book for my wife. The illustration (your avatar) is from cartoonist Josef Lada.
The Czech idea of surviving hard times is not about fighting and die in the process. Surviving is the victory. Svejk was master survivalist.