HD Box Blade?

/ HD Box Blade? #1  

scoutcub

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar LX4900//Cub 7532//Cub Yanmar SC2400//Komatsu D38//Cub Volunteer//Cub SZ60/CAT 289C/CAT 308
Trying to figure out attachments for my new 49 HP compact. Read a great thread on counterweight, so will be filling rears, and want to get a stout Box blade to carry around while "loadering" & "grappling"

My question - obviously not all box blades are created equally....what are the "good" or "better" brand names that are HD and heavy? Does Woods lead the pack or are there other brands equally well made for similar cost?

thanks!

/ HD Box Blade? #2  
I'm exceptionally pleased with my hydraulic Modern 7' industrial galvanized box blade, which weighs about 1200 lbs. It's pricey, though.

/ HD Box Blade? #3  
You need to look at commercial quality boxes. Pretty much forget about anything that does not weigh at least 1,000lbs. I would be looking at a box width of 72"-84" and hydraulic actuated scarifiers.

To be able to help get your grading just how you want, keep in mind a set of top and tilt hydraulics for your 3pt hitch. ;)

/ HD Box Blade? #4  
the best thing is to get a med or heavy duty boxblade.an the best way todo that is talk to your tractor dealer.anytime im thinking about buying equipment for my tractor,i talk to my tractor dealer.an tell him what i want an what itll be used for.an he tells me what works an how much it costs.

/ HD Box Blade? #6  
At 49 HP you're not going to be able to use a commercial unit. Probably in the area of a 6 footer. Woods, Land Pride,Bush hog all make good box blades. If you want more weight put a notch in the top and hang a barbell set on it Or you can hang suitcase weights. The only limiting factor is the lack of imagination. Bet you can think of a hundred ways to add weight. Personally I have a Kubota bx2360. For weight I have a farm force 4 foot box blade. I picked it up for a song on Craigslist.

/ HD Box Blade? #7  
You might consider the National Farm Machinery Show in Louisville. Most of the manufacturers will have booths there with their equipment displayed. It is February 15-18 and indoors. National Farm Machinery Show

/ HD Box Blade? #8  
At 49 HP you're not going to be able to use a commercial unit. Probably in the area of a 6 footer. Woods, Land Pride,Bush hog all make good box blades. If you want more weight put a notch in the top and hang a barbell set on it Or you can hang suitcase weights. The only limiting factor is the lack of imagination. Bet you can think of a hundred ways to add weight. Personally I have a Kubota bx2360. For weight I have a farm force 4 foot box blade. I picked it up for a song on Craigslist.

Why do you say this? He might have a 49hp tractor that weighs 8000lbs. An 8k pound tractor would easily handle a commercial quality box blade. Even if his tractor is not that heavy, he would still be able to make good use of a commercial unit.

The problem with just adding extra weight to a light box blade is that with that extra weight the the box digs far beyond what it is designed for and will fail at some point in time. Weight by itself is not the secret, but to have a unit that is built with heavier higher quality material will get you an implement that will get the job done for a long long time with little to no maintenance. ;)

/ HD Box Blade? #9  
Trying to figure out attachments for my new 49 HP compact. Read a great thread on counterweight, so will be filling rears, and want to get a stout Box blade to carry around while "loadering" & "grappling"

My question - obviously not all box blades are created equally....what are the "good" or "better" brand names that are HD and heavy? Does Woods lead the pack or are there other brands equally well made for similar cost?

thanks!

I'm with you Frank! I told my wife I want a good 7' or 8' box blade that weighs 1200 lbs or more.

I need to give her more specifics!

I've been looking at the Woods Gannon brand BB's but I've not made any decision.

What tractor did you get?

Be well,
David

/ HD Box Blade? #10  
I agree, for a 49 hp COMPACT tractor, you do NOT want an industrial BB, nor do you want a heavy duty BB. A good medium duty Woods, Bush Hog or Land Pride will be all you want and can handle. And they are plenty heavy duty for your needs and the tractor's capability. I doubt that there is significant difference in the quality or construction of the three brands, just minor differences in design.

To go to hydraulic operated scarifiers is a LOT more money (double+?) and isn't worth the cost if you are using it primarily for counter weight and occasional grading, etc. The hydraulic scarifiers would only be justified if you were using it on a full time basis for grading.

I bought a 7' Bush Hog medium duty bb a couple of years ago and I'm happy with it. Prior to that I had a 5' used BB for ten years.

Ken